• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target Compound Bows

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Who has one? What type of shooting do you do with it? Have you hunted with one?

I shoot year round in several 3d leagues with a 28” hunting bow for the last 6 seasons. I am thinking about buying a target bow like a Mathews title or Bowtech reckoning. Very few people have target bows in these leagues but I want one lol.

I’m wondering if I will actually like it or not as it’s a big investment and no one stocks them to try out. I’m also wondering if I should just get more of a crossover bow as I don’t want the huge stabs and might want to shoot a deer or two with it.

What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker?

IMG_6031.png

Prime had some target bows on clearance if you didn’t want to take the full dive. There are a few other options too.
IMG_5397.png

Last edited:
I have a Mathews TRX that I shoot 3D, indoor, etc... in the hunter class. It makes a great cross over bow of you decide to hunt with it.

For the Pro class I use a Prime Cyntergy Hybrid. For that I use the long stabilizers, but this would also make a great cross over bow if you weren't using long bars. I actually believe it is marketed as a hunting bow, but was listed in both categories.

If you can find a Mathews Traverse, the make a great hunting and target bow also.

No, you are not crazy. A dedicated target bow is a lot of fun and makes range time and shoots a lot of fun too. Plus messing with new arrows, rests and sights that are geared towards target shooting is a lot of fun as well.

I think bowtech deserves a very serious look. They have a lineup of target bows, but the biggest reason I'm saying this is the incredible level of adjustments and tunability you get with their bows and how fast and easily you can tune without a press or disassembling cams etc.

^^^^^^^^ If you’ve got the coin the reckoning 36 would be a good investment for as @elevatorman said the adjustability of the bow including the grip angle.

The other thing is like a Phase 4 33 or V3X 33 the risers are as long as the trx34 mathews target bow and you could get a slightly used one or new one from a dealer probably at a lower price.

I ordered a Mathews title 36. All black. Supposedly it’s 6 weeks out.

Back