• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tasco trail camera footage

I just picked up a few of these. My trusted Muddy cameras started leaking and having issues this year so I was looking for another cheapo alternative for running on public land.

I just picked up a few of these. My trusted Muddy cameras started leaking and having issues this year so I was looking for another cheapo alternative for running on public land.
They been as you can see working great so far for me.
ya really cant beat the price either.
i do put them around two sticks high pointing at an area

I find its hit or miss with these cameras. I have purchased three. I had to return one right away because it didn't work right out of the box. The second one something broke with the battery tray and wont stay shut. the third is still working but I wont be buying another. I prefer to spend an extra 10-20 and get a wild game innovations / stealth cam.

I find its hit or miss with these cameras. I have purchased three. I had to return one right away because it didn't work right out of the box. The second one something broke with the battery tray and wont stay shut. the third is still working but I wont be buying another. I prefer to spend an extra 10-20 and get a wild game innovations / stealth cam.
As usual ya really get what ya pay for lol
My cams have honestly since last jult have worked great. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
interesting.... I wonder if our walmart has them for 22. Online they are still 28....

What kind of battery life are you getting on video mode?

I bought a couple of cheap Moultrie cameras a few years back even though reviews said the cameras fail. Both lasted the first season but early this season one of them stopped working for no apparent reason. I think they were $40 each. I swore off cheap cams and went to cell cams but I'll be hard pressed to pass up buying cams for $22.

interesting.... I wonder if our walmart has them for 22. Online they are still 28....

What kind of battery life are you getting on video mode?
I put out from mid july til right b4 shotgun which is mid November.
Then change batteries and card and they soak til febuary.
always on corridors or licking branches, access trails or roads.
never on or within bedding.
i also dont see a reason for me to have cameras out from febuary til july

Im gonna put some short videos out on the different kinds of cameras we use so make sure ya sub up or hit notify button. on my channel.
Gonna be few weeks as i start pulling them.

Started running these last year. Work better than the previous cameras I was running that I can now by 3 of these for the price of. Really like having the threaded hole on the bottom. Rigged up a hardware store specialty mount for screwing these into trees giving me a flexible adjustment range. Going to expand my supply of them here in the next month.

FWIW, lithium batteries lasted me all season this year in the tascos and we’re still doing great when I pulled them.

I bought a couple of the older tascos a few years back and one is still going strong (knock on wood). For $28.00 each I can't complain. I don't care that they don't get great resolution (older tech I guess). The video posted here was good. I may have to buy a few more soon. I'm not too nervous about leaving them out on public land.

Are they still 32gb card max? I have the old Tascos that are 8 mega pixel and could hold more pics with the 32gb card than my attention span had at one time. With the battery tray full of 8 lithium batteries and a 32mb card, they'll last for several months in my spots.

I've been using these cheap wally world Tasco trail cams for over a year now. I have four of them and with the savings in the camera cost I can use that toward buying the better energizer lithium ion batteries. These take 8 AA's and it hurts when you buy them but I'm telling you, and especially in the cold climates where the water in alkaline batteries will freeze, make them expand and then leak..... the LI batteries are worth it. You can get 24 packs from AZ or BatteryJunction or something like that and they are a bit more cost effective. I typically just bite the bullet once or twice a year at my local hardware store and get 32 or four 8 packs for about $16 each. If I run alkalines in any camera they're done in a month or so and don't last a zip in cold weather. You'll be money ahead and be sure of great speed and pics by saving money buying these cheaper cameras and running the better batteries in them. My .02 cents worth on the subject.

Last edited:
I ditch the strap that comes with them and use OD rubber coated wire and on public put them up a stick or so. With the OD color of the cameras, their small profile and the od rubber wire.... they are much harder for thieves to see IMH.

I ditch the strap that comes with them and use OD rubber coated wire and on public put them up a stick or so. With the OD color of the cameras, their small profile and the od rubber wire.... they are much harder for thieves to see IMH.
We do almost same thing.
My friend makes mounts for our camera.
makes them alot closer to the tree

Back