• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tender.

I use a piece of 550 paracord and it works perfectly and is silent, no metal to clank. I tie an alpine butterfly into a loop just bigger than my rope then a second loop three or so inches long that the carabiner goes through. It was originally a cheap option to get me by but works so well I don't plan on changing it. Tie the two tag ends from the alpine butterfly into the bigger loop with a double fisherman's. I use this tender on my linesman and tether.

I also would recommend switching from a prussic to a swhabish hitch. I used a prussic two years and switched to a schwabish this year. It is much easier to use with a tender than a prussic and it is easier to release to pull down to add length. You can tie a schwabish out of a sewn loop or cord with two ends.

Agreed, and to take it a step further, I like a knot that has the carabiner tight to the hitch rather than attached to several inches of tail coming off the hitch, because then there's no slack to take up before tending actually occurs.
Have you tried the soft Sticht? Probably the tightest to the 'biner I've tried, although some of the JRB variants are right there as well.

Please post any knot pics you guys have that are being discussed if possible. Thanks.

I use a piece of 550 paracord and it works perfectly and is silent, no metal to clank. I tie an alpine butterfly into a loop just bigger than my rope then a second loop three or so inches long that the carabiner goes through. It was originally a cheap option to get me by but works so well I don't plan on changing it. Tie the two tag ends from the alpine butterfly into the bigger loop with a double fisherman's. I use this tender on my linesman and tether.

I also would recommend switching from a prussic to a swhabish hitch. I used a prussic two years and switched to a schwabish this year. It is much easier to use with a tender than a prussic and it is easier to release to pull down to add length. You can tie a schwabish out of a sewn loop or cord with two ends.
Would you mind snapping a picture of this?

Would you mind snapping a picture of this?

Bob, it would basically look like this. The big loop of the tender goes through the carabiner along with the loop of the hitch (klemheist in this case because that's what I found easily) and the small loop goes around the tag end of your tether. Hopefully this makes sense even though it's a little rough.

1706049578158.png

Bob, it would basically look like this. The big loop of the tender goes through the carabiner along with the loop of the hitch (klemheist in this case because that's what I found easily) and the small loop goes around the tag end of your tether. Hopefully this makes sense even though it's a little rough.

View attachment 98981
Awesome, that helps tremendously! I've been using a piece of paracord connected to a small piece of PVC pipe that I sanded down to round the edges. Your ideas even simpler and I'll definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for the diagram.

Awesome, that helps tremendously! I've been using a piece of paracord connected to a small piece of PVC pipe that I sanded down to round the edges. Your ideas even simpler and I'll definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for the diagram.
That was somebody else’s idea, I just drew it up quick, but I’m glad it helped.

I used 550 cord for a prusik tender on my lineman’s rope as well and it did the job well. However, as much as I try to avoid mechanical devices, I did recently switch to a Kong Duck for my lineman’s rope after getting my prusik and tender gummed up with pine sap on a climb last season, which left me midway up a tree without any practical means of adjusting my lineman’s belt, which was frustrating.

We're already covering that ground at https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/friction-hitches.47470/page-31#post-808192

I personally regard @Brocky and @John RB as my go-to sources on friction hitches. Read through their post histories and watch John's YouTube channel, you'll find both very educational.
I just came in to second watching @John RB youtube channel and reading some of his conversations on here, and to add that (You may already know this) Knotorious on YT has several videos he worked on with @Brocky

Oh btw @rooterpig in the interest of staying congruent with your original post, you can also use a small plastic or S-style carabiner, a short length of prusik cord or another rope, a good shoelace, a heavy-ass paperclip, or similar such nicknackery to tend a friction hitch, especially if you unload it first.

Back