• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Official Bino Harness Thread

St.CroixArcher

SH Member
Dec 5, 2020
St. Croix county, Wisconsin
Because there has been a lot of chatter in the new gear thread and almost all the big names are now now making a harness I figured this makes sense.
Tell us what you have, used to have, what you like and don’t and any other info that will be helpful for someone like myself that is in the market for a new harness.

Reactions: Wirrex

St.CroixArcher

SH Member
Dec 5, 2020
I‘ve been looking a lot at new harnesses for next year. Marsupial definitely looks solid with a few different options. The recon from eberlestock is very modular with a few accessories like the hand muff that I‘m thinking might work nice for in the saddle. I waiting to see how Kifaru and fhf new entries will stack up as well. Does anyone have the catamount harness and if so how do you like it?

avgjoe

Sep 3, 2018
I‘ve used a AGC bino harness in the past and I really liked having my binos and rangefinder easily accessed all the time. Thought about streamlining my setup to just a couple of dump pouches and a bino harness, but I can’t figure out what to do with my platform…

Reactions: TradBowGuy

Maverick1

Aug 2, 2019
I tried a "bino harness" for the first time last year, briefly. A couple of big fails - to ME - and all had to do with feeling like I had a small refrigerator strapped to my chest. Sharing for others to consider:
  • When hiking (in preparation for an elk hunt) - didn't work. Felt like a hot box on my chest. Sweaty, extra weight, and bulk. Not good.
  • When saddle hunting: couldn't really pivot to make shot or draw back the bow as the bino harness kept hitting my bridge. Even worse/terrible on the weak side shots.
  • When hunting out of a tree stand: the straps and case of the bino harness interfered with the straps of my safety harness. Sitting down, the bino case kept catching on the shoulder straps and waist belt of the safety harnesss. Standing up, the side of the case kept catching on the shoulder straps of the safety harness.
So, those are the reasons I ditched the bino harness (chest straps and pouch strapped to my chest). Went back to the binocular straps that have worked well for me for the last several decades.

1681656191150.png

Last edited:

St.CroixArcher

SH Member
Dec 5, 2020
I tried a "bino harness" for the first time last year, briefly. A couple of big fails - to ME - and all had to do with feeling like I had a small refrigerator strapped to my chest. Sharing for others to consider:
  • When hiking (in preparation for an elk hunt) - didn't work. Felt like a hot box on my chest. Sweaty, extra weight, and bulk. Not good.
  • When saddle hunting: couldn't really pivot to make shot or draw back the bow as the bino harness kept hitting my bridge. Even worse/terrible on the weak side shots.
  • When hunting out of a tree stand: the straps and case of the bino harness was interfered with the straps of my safety harness. Sitting down, the bino case kept catching on the shoulder straps and waist belt of the safety harnesss. Standing up, the side of the case kept catching on the shoulder straps of the safety harness.
So, those are the reasons I ditched the bino harness (chest straps and pouch strapped to my chest). Went back to the binocular straps that have worked well for me for the last several decades.

View attachment 83828
For a lot of the same reasons you list here I’ve ran the simple Ricky young harness when scouting and walking to the tree but when I get up there I usually just leave them on my gear strap. Hate taking them on off to add or remove layers

huntin_addict

Jun 18, 2018
Erie County, PA
  • When hunting out of a tree stand: the straps and case of the bino harness was interfered with the straps of my safety harness. Sitting down, the bino case kept catching on the shoulder straps and waist belt of the safety harnesss. Standing up, the side of the case kept catching on the shoulder straps of the safety harness.

View attachment 83828
Yeah man I bought into the hype and picked up a Marsupial Gear harness, and for every reason you listed, ditched it. Additionally, found the magnetic closure had a pretty big effect on nav gear if it was within 6 feet.

tarafrost

Oct 31, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Like many others, I detest mag closures since they negatively affect compasses and GPS direction. Had a Badlands bino rig....gave it away. Got an FMF rig....really nice. It's one of the smallest and most compact rigs I could find...didn't want anything sticking out too far from my chest, so a more minimalist system works for me, along with an extra rangefinder and gps pouch on either side. Use it mainly for scouting.

The new FMF that is to be released soon has a magnetic closure. Nope! Most Marsupial rigs have magnets (though they do have at least one without them). Nope.

Not sure about the other brands. Given the impact on nav devices, I think the bino harness manufacturers are doing hunters at huge disservice...at the bare minimum they should have warnings on their harness web pages outlining the impact magnets can have.

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
Marsupial Gear for everything except Gobblers. I use the PackRabbit Chest Harness for them to also carry turkey and locator calls( owl hooter and crow call). I also like the RYO system as well especially during firearms seasons or ML because im also carrying a “possibles” bag then with a shoulder sling. However, I’ve been using the Marsupial Gear system more and more every year.

WPS87

Mar 18, 2023
I’ve got a T and K harness and it only seems to interfere with a compass at around a foot or closer from what I can tell. I don’t use a compass to navigate where I hunt so the pros outweighs the cons for me. It rides fairly high on the chest and when I don’t carry binos it will hold 2 beers which is a win in my book.

On a side note, the owner has personally responded to every email I’ve sent and they have recently come out with a hydration pack that attaches to the back.

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 8, 2016
Wisconsin
I have tried a bunch of the high end models but use the smallest badlands. It holds my old vortex vipers and my tag that’s it. That is all I can handle hanging off my chest anyhow.

pros:
-fully sealed
-minimalist
-breaths well
-slim so you can see your feet when you walk lol

cons:
-magnets can be loud if not closed slowly
-material is loud but not as bad as others

I would love the same model made in fleece or even badland’s quiet material.

Reactions: Tknapp

TheBlindCat

SH Member
Apr 9, 2022
I’ve had the KUIU harness for a few years, have used in Montana and on Kodiak for rifle and while muzzle loading still hunting in Minnesota. Previously would have said I didn’t need binoculars if I had a rifle scope, but it’s not the same. The ability to adjust focus though brush is a major advantage. The Kuiu is quiet, secure, vents well, easy to open and return binoculars one handed. It’s annoying having to remove it to change layers, but I’m carrying a back pack if I’m not hunting in a stand in Minnesota anyways.

But I have little use for wearing binoculars while saddle hunting since I’m using a trad bow anyways. I usually have a Vortex monocular handy though.

I want a blaze orange harness before the next Montana trip though, I noticed last time that the camo harness and backpack straps cover up way too much of my blaze orange for me to be comfortable. Unfortunately KUIU doesn’t make theirs in orange. I’ll probably end up with the Marsupial Gear setup unless someone has a better option.

Reactions: BTaylor

BackSpasm

SH Member
Apr 10, 2019
Tennessee
Like many others, I detest mag closures since they negatively affect compasses and GPS direction. Had a Badlands bino rig....gave it away. Got an FMF rig....really nice. It's one of the smallest and most compact rigs I could find...didn't want anything sticking out too far from my chest, so a more minimalist system works for me, along with an extra rangefinder and gps pouch on either side. Use it mainly for scouting.

The new FMF that is to be released soon has a magnetic closure. Nope! Most Marsupial rigs have magnets (though they do have at least one without them). Nope.

Not sure about the other brands. Given the impact on nav devices, I think the bino harness manufacturers are doing hunters at huge disservice...at the bare minimum they should have warnings on their harness web pages outlining the impact magnets can have.

I think uncle frost is rambling about his F H F harness here and I agree with him. I have the standard pro M harness and love it. It’s compact and stays out of the way and just where I want it. Not interested in the new monstrosity they are releasing except for the upgraded straps which I will be picking up. I have found marsupial to be a great company with awesome stuff but their harness is a bit too large on me

Hlzr

Jan 18, 2020
Western Pa
As a whitetail archery hunter I found that full size bino's and the harness was much more than I needed and having so much on my upper torso was bothersome after using an FHF Bino harness and 8x42's. I settled on using an FHF chest rig that I carried a set of 8x32 and my rangefinder internally and other necessities this past season and found it ideal, I have no pics as I gave the entire system to my adult Daughter but plan on replacing it before next season with the updated chest rig and a pair of Mavin binos.

WISCO

Jan 4, 2022
Northern Wisconsin
I’ve got a T and K harness and it only seems to interfere with a compass at around a foot or closer from what I can tell. I don’t use a compass to navigate where I hunt so the pros outweighs the cons for me. It rides fairly high on the chest and when I don’t carry binos it will hold 2 beers which is a win in my book.

On a side note, the owner has personally responded to every email I’ve sent and they have recently come out with a hydration pack that attaches to the back.
T&K is one of the best companies in the business. I have their leg gaiters and nothing on the market compares. All American made, Veteran owned and operated. Tyler also has been the one to respond to me on all questions. I am currently saving up for a harness, hydration pack and range finder combo. Their gun cases and new quivers look amazing.

Reactions: WPS87

Arrowsquirrel

SH Member
Feb 5, 2019
I've been running a small t&k harness the last 2 years and it's just a bit on the small side for my binos. I'm looking to either upsize to a medium or I've been looking at the new FHF Fob. Anyone here had their hands on a fob or have any input?

WISCO

Jan 4, 2022
Northern Wisconsin
I've been running a small t&k harness the last 2 years and it's just a bit on the small side for my binos. I'm looking to either upsize to a medium or I've been looking at the new FHF Fob. Anyone here had their hands on a fob or have any input?
T&K just released their new GEN 3. Taking orders now.