• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Saddle Shootout

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
THE SHOOTOUT

1544466104971.png

I (George) come from a motocross/off road background and I consider riding dirt bikes to be my “bread and butter” when it comes to describe what I’m good at. John also comes from this same background and is probably responsible for getting me involved in most of the very expensive hobbies that still partake in to this day. Due to John’s influence, we have similar experience with riding dirt bikes, four wheeling (jeeps), mountain biking, rock climbing, and of course hunting. One thing that I would say we would agree on is the method we used to use to learn about cool new gear, which was opening a magazine at the store. In my mind, one of best articles in a magazine (specifically motocross) to read was always the “shootout”. There is nothing like seeing the brand new machines/gear going head to head to see what comes out on top. Also, the one of more important features of the shootout is testers themselves. I always look for the comments from the person that reflects me the most and from there, I can make an educated decision on what to spend my money on.

Buying a tree saddle is no different. Since there are more saddle options ever, I want to share my experiences and thoughts in a Saddle Shootout so that if your reading this trying to find out what might be best for your style and needs, it may help aid you in making a decision and getting it right the first time (unlike me).

The Testers:

George (George Clark) – Weight: 190lbs – Height: 6ft – Body Type: Athletic, yet, Svelte

John (Adrena123) – Weight: 207lbs - Height: 5’ 7” - Body Type: Neanderthal

1544466123540.png

I have been hunting out of a tree saddle since 2005 when I got a “pro deal” from Trophyline. It was early enough in Trophyline’s legacy they were still selling the original leather Green's Tree saddle as the top model as well as the neoprene and mesh (ambush) saddle. The Pro Deal was $100 for all the models so naturally I ordered the most expensive leather model and have been using it up until 2016. During that 10 year period, the only other harness style tree stand I bought was the Guido’s Web; mainly cause it was the only commercially available saddle available….and it looked like a lounge chair.

The main reason I wanted to upgrade from Green’s tree saddle was age. I realize it is probably strong enough to use as a winch anchor to pull the jeep out of a mud hole, but mentally I just thought it would be better to have something newer and better. Until this past season, John also wanted a change in gear. For him, it was more to preserve his Trohyline Ambush that he purchased in 2006 and maybe get something with better features that the ambush lacks.

Enter the year 2017 and the discovery of Saddlehunter forum. Since last 2016, I have sat in just about all available harness style tree stands past and present as well as the common DIY sit drag with exception to the Tree Suit and Aero hunter’s first attempts in the market – aero hunter and the evolution.

The ratings on these saddles are based on which one we would most likely hunt with to the least likely. Also, this all my opinion which I why I recruited my cousin to also share his opinion. Between John and I, we cover a common spectrum of body types. My hope is this shootout can help people trying to figure out what to buy before they go and waste a bunch of time and money like I did. Also, we used a Lone Wolf hand climber for a platform and multiple tether heights to achieve the feel that’s best for us.

6th place: The Mantis size large

For me, the mantis did not live up to the hype. I wanted it to, believe me. This saddle is just too minimalistic. Personally, saddle weight is getting a little out of hand. I love lightweight gear and that has to be the standard way of thinking when packing in somewhere that is mile or more back, but the difference between less than a pound or even three pounds is moot point. Whether I wear it in or pack it in, at this range of weights, it’s all about the same. I reason I bring this up is that to have such a minuscule weight (which Tethrd has done), sacrifices must be made. If you look at the shape of the Mantis, you can see the seat portion has more of “V” shape to it compared to the competition, which has more of a “U” or square shape to it ( see above picture). This is main contributor for my biggest complaint, riding up my back. There just is not enough material to get the seat to “cup” the user even with the micro adjusters. While they help create the “cup” sensation, at that point you’re just sitting the webbing and make it far too easy to “pop” out of the seat when making a tricky shot.

As far as comfort goes, while sitting and leaning back, the upper webbing against your lower back digs in more than I would like. To me it feels like the bridge loops are too high or close to my hips pulling me towards the tree no matter where I tie my tether. If you are a pure leaner with a predator style platform and high tether, the mantis works just fine. If you like to move around from leaning to sitting, you’ll find yourself pulling it down and re positioning a lot. For the folks that say, “Pull it down below your belt and it’s fine,” to me that’s supporting my theory that there isn’t enough seat material where it needs to be.

The overall construction is good but the decision to have removable micro adjusters is a bit of a bust. They can’t weight more than a few ounces, why not just sew them in? I have had them nearly fall off numerous times to find them dangling by a G-hook. Same with the leg straps; the G-hooks can and will work themselves loose and good luck getting them back on quickly…in the dark...with gloves on.
Not that I have real problem with the lineman loops, I prefer a more rigid loop so I can feel the carabiner hook in and grab. The mantis lineman loops are very giving forcing me to tug and check to make sure I’m hooked in securely.

1544466335180.png 1544466352251.png 1544466361360.png 1544466371940.png 1544466405274.png 1544466412829.png

1544466487802.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Tripoli

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
4th & 5th place: Trophyline Ambush size medium & Green’s Tree saddle size large

Mods – leg loops cut off

These two are the “OG” of the shootout and still have their place. The ambush is the saddle I should have bought in 2005 because it can do it all. It is light, comfy, and tough enough to last a lifetime. It does, however, have major flaws: the biggest would be its not available anymore. They are getting more difficult find and it is always a concern of mine buying used equipment that can potentially fail and kill me. Another is the overkill build. The straps used to construct the ambush are simply too thick. Sure, you can pull your truck out with this thing but most would agree we are not doing that very often. When sitting or leaning in the ambush (and Greens leather), there is no escaping the pressure those thick burly straps put under your butt and lower back. The benefit, though, is the design naturally cups your body and holds you in the seat whether you are sitting or leaning. Even when taking a shot, the ambush/greens stays put.
1544530712153.png1544530720158.png1544530726187.png

1544530732846.png1544530742051.png1544530748807.png

The Green’s Tree saddle has done me well for years (apparently it been around since 1961!). Up until 2016, it is all I knew. I love the built in lineman belt and pockets on the side for my things. I did cut off the pouch on the back to reduce some weight and the diaper feeling. Aside from being much heavier, the Ambush and Green’s feels about the same when hanging. I’d give a sight nod to the leather in comfort since the thicker seat material supports and distributes my weight better, but you still feels the thick straps on your lower back and under the legs.

If had to choose I’d easily take the Ambush since it nearly as comfortable, way lighter, dedicated lineman loops, and newer.
1544530766991.png1544530771531.png1544530776893.png
1544530782526.png

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
3rd place: Anderson Sling

Mods – “Isolator straps” to keep the seat in same position, waist belt, Amsteel Bridge, and lineman loops

The Anderson/big buck sling is another classic that seems timeless. The Anderson sling is almost as compact as the Mantis but definitely not as light. The steel oval links that hold all the straps together ruin its weight weenie status but light nonetheless.

Now my sling (like many) is not stock. Once the mods were complete, this sling really works well. I can see why Eberhart has been using one all these years. Bombproof webbing yet very compliant unlike what Trophyline/Greens offers in their design and packs up to the size of softball.

At first glance, I could not see how webbing could possibly be comfortable versus a dedicated material seat, but once you find that sweet spot the doubt disappears. Very little pressure on the waist and under the legs probably due to the very pliable super strong seat belt webbing. Finding that sweet spot was a bit of a pain, though. That’s why I added the “isolator straps” to keep it where I like it and an added bonus is they add some more surface area making the sling even more comfy.

The biggest major flaw, availability. It has been a few years since you can go out and buy a new one but fortunately back when they were available, most folks who bought one used it once and put in a drawer to never see the light of day again. That’s how I got mine. Saw it for sale on Saddlehunter classifieds and quickly scooped it up for $100. Other than being hard to find and having to do some minor DIY work to get it up to snuff, the Anderson sling a great hunting saddle that’s worth taking a look.
1544530819079.png1544530823313.png1544530829853.png1544530836762.png1544530843900.png1544530847973.png

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
2nd place: The Sit Dragzz

Mods – two sit drags sewed together slightly overlapped, sewed in riggers belt, sewed loops w/amsteel bridge(s)

Obviously, we all know the sit drag is pure DIY, at-your-own risk hunting option. Some pair it up with a rock climbing harness but that adds complexity I would not want to deal with at the base of the tree in the dark. For me, one sit drag isn’t quite big enough for my rear end whether your sitting or leaning, but TWO sit drags slightly overlapped and sewed together gives all the support anyone would need and gives a built in fail safe if one were to fail. Even two sit drags with two bridges and waist belt weighs less than my Anderson sling and Trophyline/Green’s (unofficially). Overall cost is well under $100 if you sew it up yourself. Mind you, the sewing is not load bearing; it is more to keep everything in place.

It is essentially a swing made out of webbing; whether you sit or lean this setup is super comfy. Since you have four loops total, take your pick for lineman loops. My latest rendition adds a riggers belt for my waist belt with a soft anchor (commercially) sewed in. If one wanted to for extra safety, girth hitch around the soft anchor on the belt with an appropriate sized climbing runner and clip in to the carabiner on the tether.

Overall, two sit drags combined makes an inexpensive, light, comfortable setup and it’s my “go-to” for pre-setup trees.

****John agrees with my overall description of the sit dragzz, but for him, the Ambush outranks my Sit Dragzz for 2nd place. *****

1544530882032.png1544530886211.png1544530892748.png
1544530899154.png1544530904655.png1544530908603.png

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
1st place: The Kite/Kestrel Size 2

Mods – Plastic cobra buckle, leg loops removed

Last year when aero hunter announced they created slimmed down, lightweight saddle with minimal adjustments called the “Kestrel” I couldn’t order fast enough. Once I seen Boswell’s review I knew it was going to be the “one”. Being a 32” waist, I ordered the recommended size one kestrel in gray and once I received it I was blown away. The build quality was excellent and was clear that New Tribe had something special on their hands. Well that all faded once I sat in it. Even with adjusters pulled up, I still could not get comfortable for more than a few minutes. The seat was just too small and to my dismay, I returned for a refund. From here, I created the sit dragzz and was completely happy with how that turned out except for the fact that it was not purpose built like the Kestrel, Anderson sling, and Trophyline/Green’s (and now Mantis). Fortunately a friend of mine, Stan, just got back into hunting last year and decided to by the Kestrel Size 2. I could not resist trying it out.

First sit in size 2 Kestrel I knew I found what I have been looking for. For reference, I now wear size 31 waist jeans and the size 2 Kestrel fit me easily. My nephew is thinner than I am and he could easily pull it tight around his waist. The magic in the larger seat. It has just enough material everywhere. I can pull it down under thighs for sitting or slide it up for leaning. Unlike the Trophyline, the webbing New Tribe uses is way thinner and more pliable all but eliminating the pressure under the legs and back. I’m bit of leaner/sitter so having the seat “cup” just enough so it doesn’t ride up my back when I shift my weight is critical for me. Kind like half sitting on a desk or table so one foot could dangle if I choose.

Enter the Kite – since I loved Stan’s Kestrel size 2 so much I ordered the Kite size 2 and have been equally satisfied. It packs up tiny, weighs nothing, and sits great. The Kite is also a bargain compared to the competition; for $190 you get the saddle and the adjusters sewed in.

Of course, nothing is perfect. The buckle on the waist strap heavy and noisy so replaced it with a plastic cobra buckle ($18). Leg strap buckles are noisy but an easy remedy is tape them together once you get length you want (the non-recommended way is to cut them off). I replaced the bridge with a double amsteel sheathed in tubular webbing and removed the second row of molle loops. Where the Kestrel beats the Kite in the comfort category is the second row of molle/leg loop webbing. On Kestrel due to the thicker seat material these molle/leg loop webbing are more invisible whereas on the Kite there is a noticeable pressure (not bad though) in the hip area. Mostly due to mesh not being able hold its shape as well as the cordura.
1544530946876.png1544530950992.png1544530954378.png1544530958646.png1544530965259.png1544530969578.png1544530976545.png

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
This shootout was just a funny idea I had in my head but then I remembered how great it was when I found the “one”. I realize some people prefer to sit on a piece of webbing and admit that’s its the most comfortable thing out there just because it’s lightweight and packs down into nothing. That’s fine and I don’t care, but I think most people prefer to have something they enjoy sitting/leaning in AND pack down to practically nothing. For John and I, the Kite Size 2 does just that. In the end, from two guys who have sat (and hunted) in just about all of the most popular sling style hunting saddles, the Kestrel/Kite SIZE 2 is tough to beat.

Hopefully this shootout helps someone who's on the fence about what to buy, thanks!
George
@Adrena123

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to do this. In the end I suppose we will all have to try them all as I found basically just the opposite over the years. Its an individual sport for sure.

Last edited:

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
Great review fellas.

Could you go into some detail about your bridge...double amsteel threaded in webbing...that sounds great and something I have thought about doing to fortify the bridge. How is it attached to the saddle?

Reactions: Dakotablues

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
Great review fellas.

Could you go into some detail about your bridge...double amsteel threaded in webbing...that sounds great and something I have thought about doing to fortify the bridge. How is it attached to the saddle?

In the above pics of the Kite, Sit Dragz, and Anderson Sling I did the usual Lock Brummel on the one side and Lock Stitch on the other. Reason for two is not for strength, it's more physiological. Having that tiny piece of amsteel just doesn't look strong, haha. Also, the double bridge in webbing give more surface area when sliding in the carabiner...kinda slowing it down when twisting. Feel like I have more control.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
I’ve tried most of those over the years. Currently using a mantis. Mostly I like it but there are couple things I would change. The biggest benefit is bulk reduction, though I wish they would source less bulky rope than the ones they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swampman

SH Member
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
Great review. I love my Kestrel too. There is one saddle you didn't mention though and that is the treesuit. I hunted out of a modified tree suit for a long time and find it very comfortable (maybe more so than my Kestrel). The Kestrel won out this year though as it is easier to use and easier to wear or pack in. I also feel the Kestrel is a safer product as my tree suit does not have lineman's loops (i sewed in my own).

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
Good review!

I love my kestrel, but I've thought since day 1 (I was a preorder guy too) that even with a 32"waist I'd be better off in a size 2.

You would. My nephew is maybe 160lbs, 6ft tall...he put my Kite on and pulled it tight with more to go. I feel your pain! Wish I knew a size 2 fit last year.

Deltahuntr

Sep 3, 2018
Prairieville, Louisiana
Great review. I have used both the Kestrel and the Kite. I’m currently hunting the Kite and can agree with you that they are very comfortable well made saddles. I do have the upgraded Raptor buckles on my Kite.

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
Great review. I love my Kestrel too. There is one saddle you didn't mention though and that is the treesuit. I hunted out of a modified tree suit for a long time and find it very comfortable (maybe more so than my Kestrel). The Kestrel won out this year though as it is easier to use and easier to wear or pack in. I also feel the Kestrel is a safer product as my tree suit does not have lineman's loops (i sewed in my own).

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

If was fun to do.
I did mention the Tree Suit in the beginning. It's one of the saddles that I have not tried. I guess I'd be like the Guido's web without the back support? Maybe I need to add it to my collection.....??

Reactions: elk yinzer

Swampman

SH Member
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
If was fun to do.
I did mention the Tree Suit in the beginning. It's one of the saddles that I have not tried. I guess I'd be like the Guido's web without the back support? Maybe I need to add it to my collection.....??

Sorry, I guess I didn't read too carefully. I was interested in getting to the reviews. Again, thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: Buckhole75

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Great review. I find the kestrel size 2 more comfortable than my mantis large. I do wonder if an ex large would be more comfortable but maybe the kite is the way to go. Lighter with the comfort of the kestrel

The guido’s web is not in the same league as JX3 hybrid. Try it too
The weight and size do not bother me because it carries like and replaces a frame pack unlike a guidos web

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: bigjoe