• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ticks...yet another disease :-(

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Any of you guys heard of Heartland Virus? It's an emerging virus carried by the Lone Star Tick.
Knowledge is ammo. Read, learn and take measures to protect yourself.
Permethrin is the ticket.

Tick Check labs will test any tick you've encountered. My buddy picked 3 off of him last week. I told him to send to the lab and he replied "too late, I already threw them in the trash." That's a mistake. If you get bit, send the evil little bastard to the lab.

Honestly, I ain’t spending no 50 bucks on a tick test if I’m asymptomatic. Using permethrin, doing thorough checks, rapidly removing ticks is the best I’m getting right now

Honestly, I ain’t spending no 50 bucks on a tick test if I’m asymptomatic. Using permethrin, doing thorough checks, rapidly removing ticks is the best I’m getting right now
I wish you luck with your policy.
Lyme can mimic over 300 diseases, and they don't always show up in a way that you might determine that it's a symptom of a tick bite. And remember, not all bites from an infected tick will leave the classic symptoms (bullseye rash, etc) and some diseases that they carry can be transmitted to you with just the act of being bitten and not necessarily having had to been in you for the common 6-8 hours that everyone hears about.

Thanks for the heads up. Re:testing, I've pulled quite a few ticks off of myself over the years. Most before they've bitten, a few in the "beginning" stages (always got the head off/no signs of actual blood sucking having started etc) The only time I ever got the bullseye (2 on my side and waist in the same night actually) I never found the tick(s) but saw a doctor pretty quickly. I ended up testing positive for 3 out of 11 Lyme markers, but a round of antibiotics seems to have killed off the spirochetes with (knock on wood) no symptoms/infection. Not saying don't test them, but it's not always possible, so to each their own. If I find a tick that's been eating me in the future, I may test it, but ones I pull off shortly after they jump on board will continue to be flushed/sent to the flame. Best prevention is permethrin and a thorough check after you leave the field IMHO.

As an aside- I got a tick on me during a roughly 2 minute stop on the shoulder of the highway this weekend. Felt the thing crawling on my leg so got rid of it before it could get me, but crazy how quickly they can find you if you happen to be close enough.

My wife’s an RN, works on a Med /Surg ward. They had a lady last week they were doing a check over on that was in for a surgery she was post op and convalescing on their ward. My wife was starting her shift asking the other nurse how this lady was doing. The other nurse said she’s doing fine but has a mole on her back that looks weird. My wife took a picture of it and blew it up…… she said that mole has friggin legs!!! The lady went through surgery and everything with a tick on her!!!!

My wife’s an RN, works on a Med /Surg ward. They had a lady last week they were doing a check over on that was in for a surgery she was post op and convalescing on their ward. My wife was starting her shift asking the other nurse how this lady was doing. The other nurse said she’s doing fine but has a mole on her back that looks weird. My wife took a picture of it and blew it up…… she said that mole has friggin legs!!! The lady went through surgery and everything with a tick on her!!!!
That reminds me of something that happened about 25 or so years ago. I'm in the medical imaging field. I was working as X ray tech assisting the urology surgeon performing a cystoscopy. He was going to look inside this lady's urinary bladder and up into her ureters via a scope inserted through the urethra. As the surgeon started to insert his scope he noticed that this lady had a tick stuck inside of one her labia. He removed it of course but he also recorded a picture of it as documentation.

poeple that live in the country get ticks daily, you cant send all of them to a lab. seems to be a bad year for them here. check yourself a lot,
Yes exactly. In-live in the country and am outside constantly. If I sent every tick I pulled off of me
Into the lab for testing I’d be deep in debt. I check constantly for ticks, strip my clothes after higher risk activity’s and shower. I find non embedded ticks in me almost everyday and very rarely does one actually start to embed. In the rare case they do start to engorge I have an understanding with my doctor - I call his office and he writes me a script for doxy. Insurance covers the cost of the prophylactic and I stay disease free.

That reminds me of something that happened about 25 or so years ago. I'm in the medical imaging field. I was working as X ray tech assisting the urology surgeon performing a cystoscopy. He was going to look inside this lady's urinary bladder and up into her ureters via a scope inserted through the urethra. As the surgeon started to insert his scope he noticed that this lady had a tick stuck inside of one her labia. He removed it of course but he also recorded a picture of it as documentation.
A few years ago my buddy was taking a shower at deer camp and he felt something in the crack of his butt. He asked one of the guys to "take a look" for him. You guessed it...little blood sucker bored-into the rim of his A hole! The other guy got some tweezers and did my friend a huge favor that most of us would decline. I'm just happy that I was 100 miles away at the time!

I have vastly more time in the woods than not, I check myself every night when I shower and have only pulled off less than 10 my entire life. Most of them when I was younger. As I said in another post maybe I’m on deaths door even though I feel fine bc ticks, red bugs, mosquitoes have never really been a problem with me. Starting to get jealous, like is it me? Why don’t they like me? Do you guys bring them on dates or wine and dine? What’s the secret? Lol

A few years ago my buddy was taking a shower at deer camp and he felt something in the crack of his butt. He asked one of the guys to "take a look" for him. You guessed it...little blood sucker bored-into the rim of his A hole! The other guy got some tweezers and did my friend a huge favor that most of us would decline. I'm just happy that I was 100 miles away at the time!
That's a really good friend. With friend like that who needs enemas!!!

Back