• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad bow

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
Well just dropped the big bucks on a trad bow. Black Hunter from Hong Kong $132. # 40 60”
a86c824eb6f5e07e442d471cb26aa208.jpg
We’ll see what it’s like on the dark side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10essee

Feb 16, 2018
Florida
I have a black hunter also. I shoot righty but bought a left handed one to shoot some on my off side. Very comfortable grip for sure.

Heydeerman

SH Member
Dec 20, 2015
Muskingum County, Ohio
One of these days you guys, are gonna
Get me to switch. Not today, but soon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is what got me to switch to traditional. This might be a little long...

I was at a deer hunt in southern Ohio hosted by a CBA chapter. I went not knowing anyone and had only been bow hunting with a compound for a few years. I was shooting a Hoyt outside the lodge by myself at a bag and a guy was sitting on the picnic table having a smoke was watching. He commented on how quiet my bow was for a compound. We talked a little and I pulled my arrows and he asked if he could shoot. He picked up an Assenheimer recurve and shot some arrows while I watched. I said something about how quiet his bow was and asked a few questions about shooting since he had no sights or release. He basked if I wanted to shoot his bow and I reluctantly agreed. He put the arm guard and glove on me and told me how to go through the motions. We got about five yards from the target and I shot. Nothing hit where I wanted. I shot all his arrows and handed him his bow and he told me to drop it to the ground. I wouldn’t do it. He took it from me and dropped it and said it was just a piece of wood. I told him if he dropped my bow like that we would both be rolling around on the ground.

Later that season I dropped my bow from a treestand as soon as I pulled it up. Had to go home and retune. Walking out I kept thinking of the Recurve being dropped to the ground. I killed four deer that year all from the ground at closer than 10 yards. I kept thinking I could do that with a Recurve. When the season was over I saw a guy named Hoot on the Ohio Bowsite. That guys name was Hoot. Could it be him? I messaged him and asked for his phone number because I had some questions. We talked and my curiosity grew.

I made an appointment at the local shop to order a new Hoyt which I did about every year. I showed up and chuck was busy with a lady and her son so I looked over the used bows. There was a Recurve there and I grabbed some arrows and shot it. It felt good and I hit close to what I wanted. I bought that bow and told chuck to put the new Hoyt on hold.

I spent the summer shooting that bow and never got another compound. I sold the 3 I had along with the press and other gadgets. That was 20 years ago. Since then I have killed around 50 Deer, countless squirrels, a few rabbits, and a couple possums and coons. I have learned to become more self sufficient by building and making everything but the bows. I have not went there yet.

Heydeerman

SH Member
Dec 20, 2015
Muskingum County, Ohio
Well just dropped the big bucks on a trad bow. Black Hunter from Hong Kong $132. # 40 60”
a86c824eb6f5e07e442d471cb26aa208.jpg
We’ll see what it’s like on the dark side.

I used to be a bit of a bow snob and only shot custom bows. A few years ago my wife bought me a Bear Sonoma for Christmas and I was surprised by how well I shoot that bow. I did not care for the grip and it had an unfinished look with a lot of grinding marks so I gave it a makeover and it is now one of my favorite bows. This bow you picture has many great reviews and I have seen one at a local shoot. It’s a good looking bow as well. I would like to have one.

Reactions: bigjoe

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
I used to be a bit of a bow snob and only shot custom bows. A few years ago my wife bought me a Bear Sonoma for Christmas and I was surprised by how well I shoot that bow. I did not care for the grip and it had an unfinished look with a lot of grinding marks so I gave it a makeover and it is now one of my favorite bows. This bow you picture has many great reviews and I have seen one at a local shoot. It’s a good looking bow as well. I would like to have one.

I have joined a club where I live in S Florida Lee County Archers this year. It’s predominantly Trad and very snobby. But I take it all with a grain of salt. I have hung around some and many of the guys have been trying to bring me to the dark side. I shot a 3D round with a group the other day and had a great time cutting up with them. Most were between 70 and 85. There are some really good shooters and they don’t mind teaching. One had one of these Chinese Bows and he let me shoot the round with it and I had a great time. Most of the click shoot Black Widows but I will try the cheap one for awhile before I decide to go all in so to speak.

Reactions: Heydeerman

Heydeerman

SH Member
Dec 20, 2015
Muskingum County, Ohio
I have joined a club where I live in S Florida Lee County Archers this year. It’s predominantly Trad and very snobby. But I take it all with a grain of salt. I have hung around some and many of the guys have been trying to bring me to the dark side. I shot a 3D round with a group the other day and had a great time cutting up with them. Most were between 70 and 85. There are some really good shooters and they don’t mind teaching. One had one of these Chinese Bows and he let me shoot the round with it and I had a great time. Most of the click shoot Black Widows but I will try the cheap one for awhile before I decide to go all in so to speak.

I’ve had a couple Black Widows. One was a PSA and it delaminated. The other a PSR. I’d get another PSR in a minute. Good mannered bow. Not so much the PSA but it came from the shop with a defect. There is no need to spend a ton of money to get a good bow. The bow mentioned above will shoot with a $1400 Widow. My bow I’ll be hunting with this year is a 1960 something Bear Kodiak Magnum that I paid $150 for. If you have the money and know what you want the a Widow might be a good choice. The classifieds on other forums are full of custom bows guys spent a bunch on who were not satisfied or saw greener grass somewhere else.

Reactions: bongo

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
I’ve had a couple Black Widows. One was a PSA and it delaminated. The other a PSR. I’d get another PSR in a minute. Good mannered bow. Not so much the PSA but it came from the shop with a defect. There is no need to spend a ton of money to get a good bow. The bow mentioned above will shoot with a $1400 Widow. My bow I’ll be hunting with this year is a 1960 something Bear Kodiak Magnum that I paid $150 for. If you have the money and know what you want the a Widow might be a good choice. The classifieds on other forums are full of custom bows guys spent a bunch on who were not satisfied or saw greener grass somewhere else.

So I’ve been it touch with the seller and I’m gona get #30 and # 40 limbs what arrow spine should I start with on the # 30 limbs.

100rollie

Mar 2, 2014
600 sounds good, if you plan on going heavier in the front end, 500 would work too.
I set my son up with Axis st 500 with 100grain brass inserts and Zwickey 2 blade no mercy broadheads, mounted on 75 grain steel adapters, for his 38lb older recurve. So far he has had a broadside pass through on a doe snapping ribs going in and out, nice double lung shot. On the ground about 15 yards.
Purchased most items through 3 Rivers Archey, or Kustum King Archery on the net.
We played with 2016 aluminums that seemed ok too.

Heydeerman

SH Member
Dec 20, 2015
Muskingum County, Ohio
Most have found they need a stiffer than usual arrow for Widows because They cut the shelf past center. My PSA was 50@28 and it liked wood arrows in the 85-90 range.

Last edited: