• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trophyline leg straps-cut off or leave???

Keith thrasher

Just bought a Trophyline saddle and have seen where guys are cutting off the suspender straps, that I get, but some have also cut off the leg straps. Do they not serve a purpose as your sitting in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never did cut mine off, but the leg straps do not really serve a purpose. They just hang there and are there to "keep you from falling through", a legal purpose. I would suggest trying the saddle out and getting comfortable before you decide to cut them off :D

Keith thrasher said:
Just bought a Trophyline saddle and have seen where guys are cutting off the suspender straps, that I get, but some have also cut off the leg straps. Do they not serve a purpose as your sitting in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been hunting out of a Trophyline for the past 4 years, this is the first without leg straps. I personally don't miss them. Packs up much better (folds much easier), and doesn't bind in the crotch while in use. Also, I'm now able to fold the saddle in half while on stand and move it into more comfortable positions.

This is an excellent question, and I'm on the fence as to if I'll cut my Trophyline leg straps off. I hunted a few times this year with the straps still attached but my legs not in them. I liked it. .. they always seem to catch on everything while climbing, and I've never found a logical scenario that would lead me to think I'll ever fall through the saddle and plummet to my demise. A whole lot would have to go wrong for that to happen!

during the late season, when I'm all bundled up, the leg straps are a PITA to work with. I think I'll try hunting on Sunday (last day of deer season here in NY) without the leg straps and see how it goes. I'd love to cut those suckers off.

Cut mine off a long time ago, never missed them for even a nano-second.

My friend wanted to maintain resale value on his saddle, so he sewed his up out of the way. I suggest using it without them first and if you like it, snip snip melt! :D

For me the main issue was that they caught on everything while climbing, so I finally had enough one day and cut them off. Way better!

Is the minor annoyance worth risking your safety for? I wouldn't think so but that is me.

Thanks,
Boswell

IMO they are more of a safety hazard being on. Every single time I climb they catch my steps be it sticks or bolts.
Finally got tired of it.

You would have to be totally unconscious to fall out of a TS without leg straps.

Is it really a safety issue? I hunted this weekend with the leg straps dangling and I didn't notice a difference in how safe I felt. I feel like it would still be very difficult to come out of it.

If someone slides out of a tree saddle they should just quit hunting. One would have to be a total num nutz to slip out of a saddle.

rr79 said:
If someone slides out of a tree saddle they should just quit hunting. One would have to be a total num nutz to slip out of a saddle.
Natural selection at it's finest.

My personal opinion means nothing but i thing people have gone overboard with safety. To the point of makeing it more dangerouse haveing to fiddle with all types of gadgets while climbing and then playing with (safety) gadgets up in the tree. If guys are that scared of being in a tree and not being able to go up and down without falling they should just sit on the ground.

rr79 said:
While I agree its very hard to fall out, been upside down in mine testing it at ground level. To me they were a minor annoyance, but I never thought of removing mine.

Rg176bnc said:
IMO they are more of a safety hazard being on. Every single time I climb they catch my steps be it sticks or bolts.
Finally got tired of it.

You would have to be totally unconscious to fall out of a TS without leg straps.

I had forgot about them catching on sticks :roll: That was an issue I always had with them.

You have to keep in mind that we are some of the more experienced saddle hunters out there. Most people might not be, that is why they came on the saddle and come on the web and evolution.

Thanks,
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
You have to keep in mind that we are some of the more experienced saddle hunters out there. Most people might not be, that is why they came on the saddle and come on the web and evolution.

I can't comment on the web, but at least they do serve a purpose on the evolution by providing support. On the tree saddle they were really just there, and they do get stuck while climbing all the time.

Back