• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trust 5mm prusik

caleb1263

Mar 8, 2022
Would you guys trust all of your weight on a 5mm accessory cord prusik? I’m trying to eliminate having a ropeman 1 for switching ropes when I go around branches or switch over from the JRB Cinch to the JRB Hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
Would you guys trust all of your weight on a 5mm accessory cord prusik? I’m trying to eliminate having a ropeman 1 for switching ropes when I go around branches or switch over from the JRB Cinch to the JRB Hitch.

What cord is it and what is its specs? How are you using it?

caleb1263

Mar 8, 2022
What cord is it and what is its specs? How are you using it?

0fe542f7b9ffcc82ce02c31119a68b4c.jpg

philsanchez76

SH Member
May 20, 2019
TN
I mean the Beal jammy is only 5.5 mm and is rates to 22kn, so maybe, but depends on the specs of that 5 mm cord you're talking about

Reactions: Wirrex

philsanchez76

SH Member
May 20, 2019
TN
I hadn’t heard of the Jammy. I just looked it up and for $14.95 from REI, I think that’s the way to go.

Thank you.

yeah man. if you fall even one foot from where you're at on the tree, you're generating at least 9-10 kn. so you'd already be snapping that cord you're talking about. The jammy is made to hold the kind of forces that you'd generate in a fall.

GeoFish

SH Member
May 5, 2021
Kentucky
yeah man. if you fall even one foot from where you're at on the tree, you're generating at least 9-10 kn. so you'd already be snapping that cord you're talking about. The jammy is made to hold the kind of forces that you'd generate in a fall.
Wow, I did not know it was that much. That's going to hurt a little.
Make me think about the guys on the videos one sticking with 3 to 4 feet of slack in there tether.

John RB

Vendor Rep
Jan 24, 2021
Fort Washington, PA
youtube.com
I climbed MRS for over 10 years on 5mm accessory cord. But in MRS, or JRB, the friction hitch sees only half our weight. And the numbers worked out, because the weakest part of my system was > 15 times the load it sees. I don't like using 5mm cord for 100% of my body though. Its not just strength; its also surface area and ability to break under load. Soak your rope and hitch in a bucket of water overnight and then test it... i have.

What rope are u using that makes ya want 5mm instead of 6? I only use five mm on a 7 mm rope, or on an 8mm rope if the friction hitch is a Bachmann.

This vid shows my new favorite 5mm cord.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
I personally wouldn’t use 5mm with only a 6.5kN rating but all you guys saying heck no, how many of you are using kong duck or ropeman 1? Guess what your mechanical device has only been tested and rated to 4kN static pull so technically speaking this small weak 5mm tied prusik would still be stronger/safer than that mechanical rope grab.

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
I hadn’t heard of the Jammy. I just looked it up and for $14.95 from REI, I think that’s the way to go.

Thank you.

Another great small diameter option is called titan cord from Bluewater ropes. It is 5.5mm, has over 3,000 lbs break strength, and it’s over 4000 lbs when made into a prusik loop. It also costs less than Beal Jammy cord does. Either cord would be plenty strong for a friction hitch

Reactions: BTaylor and John RB

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
Wow, I did not know it was that much. That's going to hurt a little.
Make me think about the guys on the videos one sticking with 3 to 4 feet of slack in there tether.
It’s not accurate. It depends on how far you fall, your weight, your fall factor (height above or below your connection point) and the amount of stretch in your tether, saddle ect… if you generate over 9kN of force in a fall, the most likely outcome is you’re permanently paralyzed or even deceased. On a 1:1 fall factor of less than 18”, most falls generate less than 900lbs of force which is the reason ANSI sets fall distance standards for work positioning harnesses.

John RB

Vendor Rep
Jan 24, 2021
Fort Washington, PA
youtube.com
Another great small diameter option is called titan cord from Bluewater ropes. It is 5.5mm, has over 3,000 lbs break strength, and it’s over 4000 lbs when made into a prusik loop. It also costs less than Beal Jammy cord does. Either cord would be plenty strong for a friction hitch
Yes, i have used that Blue Water Titan cord. It's more like 5.5mm and stiff and less flexible than most cords. I believe it would outlast the Excel cord, but is a strong and respectable option. Again, I only use 5mm on one side of a doubled rope system.... wanting 6mm cord on 8mm rope as a minimum on any single rope system.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
0fe542f7b9ffcc82ce02c31119a68b4c.jpg

what site is this from?

i only trust climbing/arborist sites (well known) or big outdoors places that sell a lot of climbing stuff (rei.com etc).....i don't trust sites where anyone can sell (amazon or ebay) because you'll eventually buy a knockoff chinese carabiner only suitable for keychain use

John RB

Vendor Rep
Jan 24, 2021
Fort Washington, PA
youtube.com
Math anyone?

6.5 kn is almost 1500 lbs.

If its loaded on 2 strands, that's 3000lb.

But if it is in any kind of loop, tied with a bend, we have to reduce its strength, as a bend is always significantly weaker than the cord. I conservatively assume a knot is only 50% efficient and that takes the entire assembly back to 1500 lb.

My goal for my own life safety is a minimum of 3000lb: 15x the load ( my 200lb butt).

Yes i realize the friction hitch will slip at a lower load, and that's ok. I want all static parts to hit the 15x number. 10x is arguably ok, as that is the old school number, but this cord doesn't even hit that. Excel Racing Dinghy Control Line does. Specs:

Polyester over Dyneema
16-Plait Polyester over 12-Strand Dyneema
5MM - 3,152lbs.
6MM - 4,541lbs