• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Upgrading my tether, questions

cobra_archer

I am upgrading my tether from the HSS tree rope to Yale Bandit. First question, should I get a sewn eye and use a USA oval quick link or no eye and use a knot? How many feet should I order. I don't hunt big trees usually about the diameter of a telephone poll. What knots are you using at the end of the rope bowline, figure 8,...? I will be using a ropeman 1 backed up with a prusik. What length and diameter prusik should I order? Links and pics are welcome.
Thank you for the help.
Mark

How long of a rope you order will depend upon if you are using knots or an eye at the end. If using knots, they can take up some rope. I have figure 8 loops on the ends of my tether and if I recall correctly my initial rope length was about 12 feet. I like to have a little extra on my tether just in case I end up in a little larger tree than normal.

I like knots. I made them, I can see them and I can change them.
10-12' is good.

I like a Fig 8 and a stopper knot on the tree end to hang my bow on.
On the other end I often put an overhand on a bight as an extra backup but you're using a Prusik backup

My Prusiks are mostly 7mm. A big gap I know but they work.

I have a blakes Hitch from NewTribe that is 9mm works great.
It takes a lot more rope to a Blakes than it looks

I used double figures 8, but will do eye splice next time around

Eye splices pack a little smaller. If you get a tight eye splice, the opening is usually only big enough to fit a carabiner or screw link through it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
f6c6a6b7190a05527c5e07f9d25b0b5b.jpg

Here's a size comparison, black is 7/16" white is 10.5mm.

Last edited:
I'd want a custom size eye.
If I'm feeding through carabiner, ropeman, backup Prusik in the dark I like making it easy on myself

If I'm feeding through carabiner, ropeman, backup Prusik in the dark I like making it easy on myself

Yep. I bet you could specify the loop size. For the price, ill stick with splicing myself.

Yea, I'd want a custom eye size too. The only rope I've ordered with a sewn eye had a hole so small that it would not work if I wanted to use it for a tether.

I much prefer splices and sewn eyes. Less wasted rope, less bulk, less weight.

I had wesspur do a custom sewn eye for me and they didn't charge any extra - just their normal sewn eye price. I told them I wanted to be able to squeeze my fist through the opening. That was as scientific as it got, lol. But it works perfectly.

I much prefer splices and sewn eyes. Less wasted rope, less bulk, less weight.

I had wesspur do a custom sewn eye for me and they didn't charge any extra - just their normal sewn eye price. I told them I wanted to be able to squeeze my fist through the opening. That was as scientific as it got, lol. But it works perfectly.

I splice my eyes at 4" for tethers. Works about perfect. Rolls up into a nice little ball with the spliced eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eye splices pack a little smaller. If you get a tight eye splice, the opening is usually only big enough to fit a carabiner or screw link through it.

f6c6a6b7190a05527c5e07f9d25b0b5b.jpg

Here's a size comparison, black is 7/16" white is 10.5mm.
You could make it smaller and serve the same purpose though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's true, but I posted the pic to compare the bulk of the knot vs splice. The loop on the knot can be made any size really. But a figure eight is bigger than a splice, regardless of the size of the loop.

Back