• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using Aiders as Climbing Sticks

justsomedude

Thought this could use a fresh thread.

Generally speaking, you are often better off using the One Aider climb method (minimal gear and bulk) http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/one-aider-climb-video.4024/
or go straight to Red's Stepp method http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/the-red-squirrel-climbing-aider.4240/ (Red's Method you are carrying a set of Stepps but it could be more comfortable)

It is not easier to use Aiders as Climbing Sticks without hardware. Just different. It takes strength to climb aiders.

The main advantage to having a series of aiders is that you can climb up and down once set. You can One Aider Climb in the same amount of time it takes to set Aiders or to do Red's Stepp Method. But once you are up, you can't go up and down for breaks.
With multiple aiders, you could pass branches too.

THAT SAID...Black Diamond 5 Step Aiders are the best I have tried (NOT Alpine). 3 of them will get you up to a nice height and you can always inchworm up higher on your last one (See one aider climb method).
DIY aiders with PVC etc were a waste of my time and you end up with something clanky that doesn't pac down well.

Aiders on Tethers/Slings/Daisy Chain: This is the easiest. Hanging from a tether lets the top step move away enough to be easier to get you foot in. It is easier to advance a tether than to set a cam strap. But if you leave an aider on a tether below you, you have to have faith that it won't fall....or you have to lock it down somehow and/or leash them together. Daisy Chains/Slings will stick to the tree more reliably but it starts to get bulky. 9mm rope with prusik is light and compact

Aiders on Cam Straps....it is hard to stand at the top of an aider and set the cam strap on the next one. You won't quite get it high enough and/or tight enough. Can be done, but takes leg strength and balance.
Using a Cam strap for the bottom Aider is great if your next one is on a tether.

Aiders on Screw/strap steps...it is hard to stand on one step and hang the next aider but easier. You can set a Step at head height for your first aider. I am going to experiment with this using Cranford EZY Deluxe.
If one of your feet is in the top loop and you can put your other on the step, it might be ok.

Modded Steps. A forum member here modded Cranford Rope steps so he could stand with both feet. I hate modding that much.

Thanks for consolidating this information, I'm sure as time goes by I will inevitably try them all.
For now, I have been thinking about using aiders with some Stepps - your post has me thinking again...

It is fairly easy to stand on one Stepp with both feet (I wear a size 13 boot), but it is not very easy to manage to work an aider on a strap while standing with one foot on/in an aider loop. I may end up trying a combination of the two where I strap an lengthy aider to the tree at ground level and mount a Stepp near the top of that aider as I climb it. Step up onto the Stepp (both feet) to attach my second aider; rinse and repeat until I achieve the height in the tree I want to hunt. The logic seems sound, but it is all in how it is applied. Time will tell where the warts are in this system.

As for me, I'm going to use my (2x) LW sticks each with a 3-step aider this early season because I am comfortable with that set up via rehearsals. I'll keep this post in mind for a later date/project.

Back