• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using Reflective tape on arrows

ADKMtnTrapper

So i had a thought the other day and wanted to run it by you guys. What if you took a thin strip of a highly reflective tape and wrap it around the shaft behind your fletchings? Obviously it wouldnt help you in every scenario to find your arrow but it may help and it would be very cheap to use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Seems like it could work. I've never tried it. Are you opposed to something like lumenocks or just trying to diy a cheaper solution?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If it's going to weigh more 10 grains I'd recommend lumenoks like G2. It shouldn't because an arrow wrap weighs about 10 grains and it should be much smaller than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Using Reflective tape on arrows

g2outdoors said:
Seems like it could work. I've never tried it. Are you opposed to something like lumenocks or just trying to diy a cheaper solution?

No i have had some nocturnals and had lumenocks, the down side of is ive shot deer with em and they flew off and ive lost em. The nocturnals failed on me last year and didnt light up.

I am just looking for a cheaper alternative and trying to think outside the box. I also figured they would be a good addition to my practice arrows

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Using Reflective tape on arrows

ADKMtnTrapper said:
g2outdoors said:

No i have had some nocturnals and had lumenocks, the down side of is ive shot deer with em and they flew off and ive lost em. The nocturnals failed on me last year and didnt light up.

I am just looking for a cheaper alternative and trying to think outside the box. I also figured they would be a good addition to my practice arrows

Yeah I like that as a backup to the lumenocks. I've had them come off or malfunction too, but never in a critical situation. I think your idea is a very good one. And I never have a problem with adding weight to an arrow, although it's not usually in the back half.

Shaun

I dont think the weight will be significant enough to throw it off but im gunna order some stuff off ebay for like 5 bucks and ill have enough to do plenty.

I figure if i cut it into 1/4" strips it would be wide enough to see yet thin enough to not make much of a weight issue

Look up onestringer arrow wraps, he sells a reflective version, I use the white. Love them!

Thanks,
Boswell

Re: RE: Re: Using Reflective tape on arrows

Boudreaux said:
Look up onestringer arrow wraps, he sells a reflective version, I use the white. Love them!

Thanks,
Boswell
The solid reflective ones? I just looked at them. Are the ones with designs reflective too? I could send a smiley to a deer with my best wishes. I like that idea.
Thanks for the info Boswell

Shaun

I use onestringer as well. The reflective wrap helped me find a lost arrow in Colorado last year

I've been using reflective tape for years. I tried the wraps and they are ok but not nearly as bright as the tape. I also wrap the tape on clear thumb tacks. Best trail markers ever. I rarely use them now with the advances of gps but works good to mark a tree when the gps gets you close. And no one can see them in the day time. I also use them for blood trailing. When you lose blood it's good to shine the light back and see the direction of the trail to help you find that next spot. So many uses!!! Just get some good high reflective tape. Some are better than others and still shine while coated with blood.

Swampsnyper those are great ideas. How thick do you make the tape you put on your arrows?

About 1/2 inch. Sometimes I put it behind my fletchings, sometimes before, sometimes both.
I was researching fletchings once. A guy was talking about an experiment he did to make his fletchings as light as possible. It was all about creating extreme front of center (foc) weighted arrows by taking as much weight off the back of the arrow. He shot a tuned arrow with a fixed broadhead and kept shortening the feathers until he seen a little wobble in flight. That's when he added a small piece of tape a 1/4 inch in front of his feathers. He claimed it broke the wind drag on the shaft before it hit the feathers and the arrow went back to being stable with very small feathers. That's where I got the idea of in front of the feathers but I don't shoot perfect enough and my eye sight isn't good enough I guess to notice any difference.

I've used the reflective tape for years, wrap around arrow once at the width of the tape, no change in arrow flight and no changes to bow sights. Works great

I have also been doing this for over 20 years. As others have mentioned, it's great for finding lost arrows and also in tracking situations. I have used it to find arrows that were lost in lawn grass. Just wait until dark and use a headlamp. I use nocturnals on my hunting arrows, but reflective tape on all arrows. You can buy it cheap in the automotive section at Walmart.

Also. You can figure the exact distance of a single wrap of tape and use a paper cutter to mass produce them very quickly. I use the one inch wide version and place it behind the fletching. It comes in white or red. I use the white, as blood will up quite nicely. And yes, even bloody it still reflects well.

Back