• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using Ropeman 1 on 9mm rope?

justsomedude

DISCLAIMER FIRST
I know that it isn't rated for 9mm. The reason is that the teeth won't slip under a hard load and at 4kn will start to damage the rope sheath. Obviously, thinner rope would be more of a problem.

I am using Ropeman 1 on 9mm on my foot tether and my Linesman's Belt. I used it last year on a 9mm tether on some rope I didn't like that was too soft. It worked though.

I am wondering about using it on 9mm HTP for SRT. It would be on both my Foot loop Stirrups and my harness (Kestrel). I would likely do the extended setup with the Foot Loop Ropeman on Top and the Harness Ropeman on Bottom using the Top Carabiner as a pulley.

I can go out in my back yard and try it (I know it "works") but am looking for any one that has done it a lot.

I would Rappel down. I have the new ATC Pilot coming in the mail...it isn't rated for 11mm :)
I do have a regular ATC and a 32' Yale Bandit tether if I decide to stick with 11mm

My current attitude about it is that you can't shock rope like on SRT unless your rope somehow fell down the tree dropping you and then quickly stopping you again.

Am I crazy?

THIS guy is using it on super thin (less than 8mm) rope.

Don't mean to take your post in another direction but, what 9mm rope are you using for your linemans? I tried with 9mm HTP but it was was too limp to use for a lineman. And I really hate packing my 11mm rope.

I don't think you;ll find anything much stiffer in 9mm. I am using Bluewater 9mm accessory cord right now. Its softer than HTP. It stays in place well enough on the tree.

I was using Bluewater 11mm Assault for a long time. But having the 9mm is nice for me. But I don't use it like a Flipline.

If you look at fliplines from arborist suppliers, they START at 11mm. Filling up your hand and having a good bit of mass is what makes them work.

I have using htp with a ropeman for tether and linemans belt. It is working flawlessly. Yes i know its not rated so I don't advise anyone to do what i do but i have not seen any issues with my rope. I have about 14 days logged with this setup and at an average 6-8 hr sits each time.

I've been using a lonewolf strap for years. Definitely not fall rated

According to the manufacturer;
The Ropeman 2 is made for small diam rope such as 9mm HTP. (Others as well).

Why is everyone so reluctant to use it ?

It's stated in the description is is supposed to be easier on the sheathing.than the Ropeman 1...?!?!?!

Has anyone found different results of wear on your ropes...?

I only used he Ropeman 2 on Yale Bandit for 5 minutes. The little cheese grater teeth snagged on the fibers of the Bandit. Every time I moved it...

I returned it. It might be more friendly with a rope like HTP but I never tried it.

The reason it is considered more friendly to skinny rope only has to do with heavy shock loading. The Ropeman 1 does NOT SLIP. In the process, the rope sheath starts to show damage at 4kn.

I don’t know but it’s likely that the small teeth of the Ropeman 2 will slip under a heavy shock (that’s safer if it does).

They made a Ropeman 3 but I think there was a recall...it was slipping. Probably an attempt to make it safer

I have never used the ropeman 2 but the teeth look exactly like the petzl ascension. I use it on kernmantle static with no picking/issues. Has anyone tried the 1 on rope that has a denser more durable sheath?

Bandit is nice but the cover seems loose and soft.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was play around with an Srt setup and my ropeman 1 keep sliding down on Yale bandit. Not sure why.

I'm having a problem with my ropeman slipping on Yale bandit also. It seems to happen more often when the rope is under load. I inspected the ropeman and all appears to be ok, and the rope is clean and in good condition.

Define ‘slipping’. Does it happen after a long time? Or does it happen when you first settle in?

I wonder if they ‘fixed it’ so it doesn’t bite as hard

Are your caribeaners large diameterrace and the round and not fluted style.
The biner has to take up slack between the Ropeman and the teeth.
The round style has never given me a problem.

I’ve used flat ones quite a bit. If anything, they might jam more.
The biggest difference is that flat biners get stuck in one position after being loaded. A round stock biner can still rotate.

Last edited:
Good video. May be something I could use with the preacher stand for adjusting bridge height while tethered in my Rick climbing harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive done it plenty of times and it worked flawlessly, Although its not recommended.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was play around with an Srt setup and my ropeman 1 keep sliding down on Yale bandit. Not sure why.
Somethings wrong, ive never had a slipping or non grabbing issue with a ropeman 1 on bandit rope.

Somethings wrong, ive never had a slipping or non grabbing issue with a ropeman 1 on bandit rope.

Same. I feel like we need to figure out what was happening. That is bad.

SO....

I was just doing SRT with two Ropeman 1 on HTP 9mm. When I got to the top and started to descend, it was SLIPPING. The Rope was flatter at the top from hanging. I was using the Fusion Carabiner that shipped with the Kestrel...it is slightly Flat. Switched to a Black Diamond and it was fine.

Back