• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What (If Anything) Do You Eat Prior to An Early-Morning Hunt?

What Do You Eat Before an Early-Morning Hunt?

• Full Breakfast

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Light Breakfast (A Banana, Bowl of Cereal, Granola Bar, etc.)

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Coffee Only

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Water Only

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Nothing

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I bring food to eat on the stand (Protein Bars/Shakes, Sandwich, Snack, etc.)

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Juice Only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crawdaddy4

SH Member
Have talked to a lot of hunters with responses all across the spectrum on this. What are hunters eating, if anything, before early-morning hunts?

coffee only will have you digging in your pack for your toilet paper\dude wipes at some point....i usually grab some sort of breakfast bar thing and a coffee drink...snacks in bag if i need
That's my approach. I love coffee, strong and black, but avoid it before morning hunts lest I be quickly abandoning my saddle!!

Nothing

Chug a can of Coke Zero or something similar in truck

I bring a bottle water with me and a screw cap bottle soda like Coke Zero for some caffeine to the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nunn electrolyte tab and a liter of water.

Athletic greens and a liter of water.

As much coffee as I can get in before I get to woods or a thermos with me.

Another liter of water.

Couple hundred calories of whatever.

First four are non negotiable, the food is flexible.

200 mg caffeine pill and water....i bring a few snack bars and some water....i usually lose 5 to 10 lbs during hunting season and put it back on in the off season
I never considered a caffeine pill. Wonder if that would "wake me up" like coffee does without kickstarting my GI tract??

I never considered a caffeine pill. Wonder if that would "wake me up" like coffee does without kickstarting my GI tract??

I don't know. I only notice a change when I really overdo the coffee (or a coworker makes it too strong). I think I've been drinking 2 cups or taking a pill every morning for so long that I don't know what normal is anymore!

The pills are certainly convenient, cheaper than coffee, and don't stain your teeth.

I don't eat anything. I'm not usually hungry that early anyway. If it's warm I'll pack water or some gatorade. Otherwise I'll just eat after the hunt. If it's an all day hunt I'll pack food and start snacking mid morning through early afternoon.

Nunn electrolyte tab and a liter of water.

Athletic greens and a liter of water.

As much coffee as I can get in before I get to woods or a thermos with me.

Another liter of water.

Couple hundred calories of whatever.

First four are non negotiable, the food is flexible.
Are you consuming that AG1 every day or only as a supplement on hunting days?

I don't eat anything. I'm not usually hungry that early anyway. If it's warm I'll pack water or some gatorade. Otherwise I'll just eat after the hunt. If it's an all day hunt I'll pack food and start snacking mid morning through early afternoon.

yeah, i always try to eat bare minimum to keep me from being lightheaded...i went all day with no food one time and it was dangerous once the world started spinning a little due to low blood sugar

Bowl of oatmeal and nearly a pot of strong coffee. I'm done with any serious business that might make me bail out of the tree after the first 2 cups and that is almost always well before I leave the house.

2 packs of oatmeal, and usually a bottle of water with a Celsius pack in it instead of coffee and take a nootropic pill right at sunrise for focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowl of oatmeal and nearly a pot of strong coffee. I'm done with any serious business that might make me bail out of the tree after the first 2 cups and that is almost always well before I leave the house.

yep....you can either avoid an avalanche or do what ski lodges do and use dynamite to bring it down at a time and place of your choosing.....

Oats, pop tarts, sausage and biscuits, etc. Some small amount of food, a big glass of chocolate milk and a big cup of coffee. That is unless I am pressed for time, then it is glass of chocolate milk, big pinch of nerve medicine and a coffee to go.

Depends on how I feel and what I'm doing. If I don't expect to be back in time for lunch, if I'm hungry, or if my sinuses are draining down my throat, I eat. If I had a big dinner, won't be gone long, am in a rush, or just ain't hungry, I don't.

Coffee only, but I get up early enough to get a cup down to start things before I leave lol. Usually after the first cup I'm good to "go", so to speak.

Then a light snack because I have to take my meds with food on my stomach or else I'll get sick.

BT

Back