• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What Platform attachment method do you use and why?

pilgrimhunter

This season was my first season hunting out of a saddle and have enjoyed it. I bought a xop platform mid-season out of the classifieds. It came with a Lone wolf strap and carabiner attachment. While this works great I would love to lose the metal of the carabiner and strap cam buckle.

I have read comments about guys moving away from some of the rope style attachments but would like to hear more.

What I want to hear from you guys is what you are using to attach your xop style platforms and why you are using that method and /or why your not using the another.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

on my "Klemz" I use a versa button and Lone wolf Strap. On my platform I use amsteel blue 1/4 rope and I splice it on one end and use a Jim stepp on the other. On one of my platforms I did add a verse and strap in addition to the cam over amsteel

It really depends on a few factors. If I'm using my web, since I'm sitting most of the time, a few ameristeps or just the top of my muddy sticks is enough. With the evo or the kestrel I tend to lean more and I like a bigger surface. Then it's a toss up. I use the kit I sell, or one of the klemz/bass boy stands. Since the kits are easier to come by, if I am setting up a tree and planning on leaving it, I'll use my kit. I mix it up between the ucr and the stepp knot on my kit, and on the klemz i have used the Lone wolf strap on a versa button, but will probably be switching to an amsteel rope mod in the off season. Often if its a run and gun or I know I'm carrying everything back with me I'll use the klemz since its lighter

Even when using the klemz however, If I'm bow hunting, I still add 2-3 steps on my strong side for pivoting around the tree. If I'm using my handgun I don't use the steps as its easy to aim around the tree. I think this year I may start carrying 3 screw in steps instead of the ameristeps for run and gun since they are easier to set up quietly

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It really depends on a few factors. If I'm using my web, since I'm sitting most of the time, a few ameristeps or just the top of my muddy sticks is enough. With the evo or the kestrel I tend to lean more and I like a bigger surface. Then it's a toss up. I use the kit I sell, or one of the klemz/bass boy stands. Since the kits are easier to come by, if I am setting up a tree and planning on leaving it, I'll use my kit. I mix it up between the ucr and the stepp knot on my kit, and on the klemz i have used the Lone wolf strap on a versa button, but will probably be switching to an amsteel rope mod in the off season. Often if its a run and gun or I know I'm carrying everything back with me I'll use the klemz since its lighter

Even when using the klemz however, If I'm bow hunting, I still add 2-3 steps on my strong side for pivoting around the tree. If I'm using my handgun I don't use the steps as its easy to aim around the tree. I think this year I may start carrying 3 screw in steps instead of the ameristeps for run and gun since they are easier to set up quietly

Ernie. Thanks for the reply. I really started this thread to see how everyones preferred method of attaching their xop style platforms to the tree. What do you find the simplest and most effective?

Ernie. Thanks for the reply. I really started this thread to see how everyones preferred method of attaching their xop style platforms to the tree. What do you find the simplest and most effective?

Sorry about that, I stated typing and got off topic. If the hooks were bigger or stronger on the XOP seat, I would use the Lone wolf strap for sure. But they aren't strong enough to hook directly to, and when I wrap around the frame first, the loops are stiff and kind of big for hooking on the hooks. @g2outdoors uses it that way and really likes it. I have tried a mod where I girth hitched a runner with a flat hook to one side of the stand and the long side of the Lone wolf strap high hitched to the other. Then I used a buckle from an old ameristep strap. But I suck at having swinging metal pieces and being quiet. It seemed like one side or the other was always hitting some other piece of metal.

In order for me to be as quiet as possible, the amsteel is the way to go.

But there is a trick to it. I'm not coordinated enough to hold the stand with one hand or my knee and set the rope with another. I carry a very small accessory hook and screw that into the tree first. Then I have a small loop of parachute cord starched top the top of my post. I hang the post from the hook so I can use both hands to set the rope. I prefer the stepp knot myself but some people aren't comfortable with tying knots so I provide the ucr that can be used as is or converted to the stepp knot very easily.

Does that help?

Sorry about that, I stated typing and got off topic. If the hooks were bigger or stronger on the XOP seat, I would use the Lone wolf strap for sure. But they aren't strong enough to hook directly to, and when I wrap around the frame first, the loops are stiff and kind of big for hooking on the hooks. @g2outdoors uses it that way and really likes it. I have tried a mod where I girth hitched a runner with a flat hook to one side of the stand and the long side of the Lone wolf strap high hitched to the other. Then I used a buckle from an old ameristep strap. But I suck at having swinging metal pieces and being quiet. It seemed like one side or the other was always hitting some other piece of metal.

In order for me to be as quiet as possible, the amsteel is the way to go.

But there is a trick to it. I'm not coordinated enough to hold the stand with one hand or my knee and set the rope with another. I carry a very small accessory hook and screw that into the tree first. Then I have a small loop of parachute cord starched top the top of my post. I hang the post from the hook so I can use both hands to set the rope. I prefer the stepp knot myself but some people aren't comfortable with tying knots so I provide the ucr that can be used as is or converted to the stepp knot very easily.

Does that help?

Yes that is what I am looking for. I have been wondering if guys are using the ears on the platform. Thought maybe @DaveT1963 was? If I could use the ears I probably would stick with the lone wolf strap.....

Yes that is what I am looking for. I have been wondering if guys are using the ears on the platform. Thought maybe @DaveT1963 was? If I could use the ears I probably would stick with the lone wolf strap.....

The ears by themselves scare me. I have broke a couple and if you don't wrap around the frame first, they break surprisingly easy.

I have been wrapping a LW strap like G2 does but still worry about the tabs. At 220lbs, they are holding well though. I would want to avoid the metal contact for sure.
T

images of a klemz?
Here you go
4aac03e9e277166c371fcd8fc1023e45.jpg

Nice. Same as the bassboy you mention , or does he use this?

When did LW stop making that seat?
Tom

DO NOT attach directly to the ears. Wrap your rope, or strap around the platform base 2 times, then put the loop over the ear. The ear will only keep the rope in place, without holding the load. If you attach right to the ears, they'll break no question.

Nice. Same as the bassboy you mention , or does he use this?

When did LW stop making that seat?
Tom
Yep they are the same. I don't know when they stopped making this seat, but it's been a while. I talked to them on the phone and offered to buy the mold, but they don't even have the mold anymore. They said it is so many rev changes back that the old mold is destroyed. Apparently they used a injection style mold back then and have moved to investment casting now.

DO NOT attach directly to the ears. Wrap your rope, or strap around the platform base 2 times, then put the loop over the ear. The ear will only keep the rope in place, without holding the load. If you attach right to the ears, they'll break no question.

Certainly works and this good video helped me learn how to do this. Having said that, I have on occasion over wrapped the strap such that when I go to take it off, it is sort of knotted over itself and is still tough to undo after the load has been removed. Additionally, when I first got my XOP seat, I found one of the tabs did not leave enough gap between it and the frame to allow a strap loop to fit through. Not wanting to bend it and weaken it, I opted to do a permanent attach on that side and a wrap attach on the other where the tab left a larger gap.

I have found IF the strap is too far up from the platform, A. it is tough to get cammed over and B. my feet have hit the buckle release a bit letting the platform slip a bit which at 20' is unnerving!

Lastly, the XOP platform casting I have found is rough. The strap I use already should probably be replaced as it has fraying. I will attempt to buffer the seat in the off season to prevent chaffing next year.

Thanks, Tom

Take some sandpaper or a file to those ruff edges. You definitely don't want your strap to be compromised.

All of the other things you mention are valid points. After you've used the platform half a dozen times, you'll be a pro and have all the kinks worked out.

Take some sandpaper or a file to those ruff edges. You definitely don't want your strap to be compromised.

All of the other things you mention are valid points. After you've used the platform half a dozen times, you'll be a pro and have all the kinks worked out.
Yes practice makes perfect. I have found variability in trees greatly affects successes though... also part of practicing and learning!

Certainly works and this good video helped me learn how to do this. Having said that, I have on occasion over wrapped the strap such that when I go to take it off, it is sort of knotted over itself and is still tough to undo after the load has been removed. Additionally, when I first got my XOP seat, I found one of the tabs did not leave enough gap between it and the frame to allow a strap loop to fit through. Not wanting to bend it and weaken it, I opted to do a permanent attach on that side and a wrap attach on the other where the tab left a larger gap.

I have found IF the strap is too far up from the platform, A. it is tough to get cammed over and B. my feet have hit the buckle release a bit letting the platform slip a bit which at 20' is unnerving!

Lastly, the XOP platform casting I have found is rough. The strap I use already should probably be replaced as it has fraying. I will attempt to buffer the seat in the off season to prevent chaffing next year.

Thanks, Tom
Still cant figure out how g2 outdoors is connecting the lonewolf strap to the platform

Still havent figured out how g2 outdoors is connecting the lonewolf strap to the xop platform

Since you don't want to use the ears because they can break, you want to girth hitch both sides. With an XOP or Lone Wolf strap you can only girth hitch one side. I previously used a small dyneema runner (6"-12") to girth hitch to the other side and then used a carabiner to connect to the strap end. I've since made up some custom straps that allow you to girth hitch both sides to eliminate the need for a carabiner or dyneema runner. You can find those on my website DoubleSteps.com.

Back