• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What to do about pee.

sho91yamaha

I know that this seems an odd subject, but I was watching a youtube channel called AmericanHunterVideos and Bill Winke spoke about the scent of human urine something that doesn't spook deer the way that human odor does. He talked about a test in which he peed from his stand and when a doe come under him and smelled where he peed it just continued on its path without any hesitation. When I hunt I usually must take a huge Gatorade bottle with me cause I seem to have a small bladder and the bigger opening helps when it is cold and my hands are numb. Probably not a post that one usually talks about, but I was just curious.

As long as its not a coffe pee i let it rip. I also pee in deer scrapes. Its pee and animals pee all over the woods. As long as you didnt eat asparagus or slam a coffe its not a prob.This is from my cell phone. You can see where i just pee'd. Sniffin my pee: http://youtu.be/VVqjq43FRq8

I pee in the woods every chance I get. I have had deer stop to smell my pee more than commercial urine/estrus. I pee in scrapes especially, and when I revisit shortly after, it is almost always torn up, but the ones I don't pee in don't necessarily get the same attention.

I hate to play the salmon but I actually still take a pee bottle. Many years of trapping convinced me that animal can in deed determine a lot from piss. I think that meat eaters urine deintetly has a different smeall to most animals. Try trapping coyotes using mink piss or raccoon piss. Sorry you won't have near the success as you would using a coyote, fox or other canine piss.

If you don't believe that there is a difference in piss based on what you need I have a test for you.... eat asparagus three times a day for a week and then report back to us. If this is true of eating one vegetable does it not make sense that eating meat will smell different to a deer then vegetarian?

Will it spook deer f you pee out of your stand? maybe not, but my goal is to get in, hunt and get out without ever being detected..... peeing from a stand just doesn't work with my mehtods and I do think that with time, as deer smell your pee and then some lingering human scent it wont be long before the smart ones figure it out.

I use double zip freezer bags. Three to four handfuls of unscented clumping kitty litter in each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

898314.jpg

boone0 said:

They make an external catheter called the stadium pal. I bought one to try out. Ehh it wasn't as easy as I hoped, easier to pee in a bottle.

I'm with the guys that let if fly and also pee in scrapes.

I have trail cam pictures of nice bucks using scrapes that I pee in and I have shot deer right after peeing out of the tree.

I even make a special blend that I use in drippers: apple oil, clear ammonia, urine, tonquin musk and a few other secret ingredients. Works awesome, never seen any evidence of deer being frightened by it and it usually includes my own urine, though I've made it with deer urine too. I even know a guy that has a deer farm where I can get fresh urine, no preservatives, but I still have to pay even if it is discounted, and the stuff I make works just as well and ends up a lot cheaper. So I usually just use the home made stuff or straight from the "tap". lol

Somewhat unrelated, but I've also noticed that I can cover enough of my human scent to not spook deer by just wearing a scent-lok hood. I don't wear a full suit anymore. I honestly think our breath is the biggest factor in scent. Maybe hair too...

Though I also take pills called Nullo and use Certain-Dri antiperspirant year round. I only need to apply the certain dri every few days or so and the nullo is just one pill in the AM and one in the PM most of the year, I increase during early hunting season.

Takeing pills to reduce scent? Now thats dedication lol. As far as the pee. I pee in every scrape i see. And they all get tore up. I pee out of tree if i gotta go. The video i put up us proof right there. Its pee. They dont care at all. Just my experiences.

My take on pissing in scrapes is simple - deer are visually orientated - the fresh dirt scraped is attractive to bucks (no other animal makes scrapes).... so I personally believe that the deer investigated the scrape because it was visually attracted and that urine had broke down enough not to alarm them. If you think it is the pee that attracts the bucks go piss under a lot of overhanging branches without raking the ground and let me know how many deer hit that "scrape."

If pee itself was what attracted bucks to scrapes then bucks would be scraping everywhere in the woods they encounter pee and that just doesn't happen. Deer encoutner pee 100 times or more every day so I doube they show a lot of negatvie reaction to it. I don't think pee by itself alarms deer greatly but I do believe that peeing continuously from a stand is just not a good practice - especially for older more mature bucks that have been around a few hunting seasons. And I absolutely believe that deer can tell the difference between predator pee and animals that do not eat meat. I also believe that deer can tell the difference between pee from various species of the females in esterous - otherwise the bucks would be rutting and chasing everytime rabbits went into esterous.

Come on guys have you never been on a farm? I gaurantee you that chicken piss, horse piss and cattle piss all smell differently - I can immediately tell you which barn has horses in it, same for chickens or most other farm animals. Cats and dogs also smell completely different. If I can detect this with my human nose what do you think a deer can do.

I know its not the urin. I think its just the fact something strange pee'd in the scrape so they freshn it up. The point is if human pee scared them they obviously wouldnt touch the scrape. Both pressured and un pressured deer have not been alarmed by my urin in my years of hunting. Only time is if its a coffe pee. No doubt deer know the difference in the piss. They know its not deer piss, they know its not fox piss and so on. But they dont know its human piss. They just know something peed there. The only time i have to pee while hunting is if i sit all day. If you pee'd out of ur tree enough to stink up the whole area then the spot is over hunted anyway. Jmo

Totally agree with rr79.

I understand and agree with most of what you're saying Dave, in fact I know there is at least on study that shows there is about the same activity at scrapes that are just dirt, human pee, and actual deer urine. I don't recall the exact findings, but bare scrapes may have edged out urine filled scrapes. Someone might be able to find it and post it.

I personally have found better results when I add urine of some kind, but possibly the most important factors is location and over-hanging branch.

Matty said:
I personally have found better results when I add urine of some kind, but possibly the most important factors is location and over-hanging branch.

Oh I agree - add buck urine or doe urine and it definitely helps. I just don't think adding human urine does anything good for a scrape that plain old dirt would not have done. Hey we each have our own opinions and methods - I admit I am pretty anal when it comes to scent control .... its worked for me for over 3 decades. I am always open to hearing and trying new things but this one just gets a big "I'll Pass" from me. Not doubting it will work from time to time, but you have to wonder how many deer that you don't know of were turned off by human piss in their scrape. As for me and my house - I will stick to natural scrapes and doctor them with real deer urine (helps to have freinds that raise deer)

I always have had my best luck by digging up dirt from a scrape in another location, putting it in a plastic bag, and then dumping it in the scrape I want to hunt...... Usually doesn't take a dominate buck long to realize an intruder is in their area and want to investigate.

DaveT1963 said:
I always have had my best luck by digging up dirt from a scrape in another location, putting it in a plastic bag, and then dumping it in the scrape I want to hunt...... Usually doesn't take a dominate buck long to realize an intruder is in their area and want to investigate.

That is a pretty nifty idea, and one that I've never heard.

redsquirrel said:
That is a pretty nifty idea, and one that I've never heard.

Another thing that I learned from trapping canines. I always had much higher success on a fox/coyote set after I got the firast animal. So I started collecting some of the dirt form those sets and using it on sets that had not connected yet. Really helped fire those sets up as well..... so it was natural for me to try the same thing with whitetails.

I've read a lot of things on pee and I to just let it fly. I sometime make a mock scrape with a stick and usually close to my stand where I can pee in it. Thats how I got my nice 10 last yr. The deer Dr. did a video where they say that they had more deer come and check out one of his students pee more than any sent they bought from a store. Its also a proven fact that doe in heat sent can not be bottled, the pheromones are gone in a matter of seconds. Why do you think hes got his nose down tailing her so close if he can smell corn 1/4 mile away. All of these sent companies use several different deers urine in the same can as well like blended together. Just use the pee from the deer you shoot thats what i carry a plastic bottle for not my pee the deers pee. LOL!!!!!

Deer are curious I cut down a tree for a farmer in delaware three yrs ago and had two doe come in and see what we were doing. I could of shot them from the oak I was cutting down. I suggest also if you have a buck that rubs on a certain kind of tree to cut down the same kind of tree and place it near your stand (Your gonna need a post hole digger) feeder or where ever you want him and drill a few holes for a limb to stick out of and and hang down. Now you have an instant death scrape !!! used that a few times two.. JMO!!! good luck

Pee'd outa the tree a hour before and 2 bucks walked right by my tree downwind. Both big bucks and one is 152 incher. I did have some special golden out no glands that day. But still no problem with my pee as usual. [youtube]John's big buck bow kill!!!!: http://youtu.be/1wti1UJKDbY[/youtube]

rr79 said:
Pee'd outa the tree a hour before and 2 bucks walked right by my tree downwind. Both big bucks and one is 152 incher. I did have a tarsel gland out and some special golden. But still no problem as usual. [youtube]John's big buck bow kill!!!!: http://youtu.be/1wti1UJKDbY[/youtube]

Lol love the 'victory dance'! Great buck too!

Back