• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge bag mods

Treehugger32

I've been messing with my steppladder a few times now and the first thing I didn't like was how the rope undid the zipper while I was climbing so the first mod I did was to cut the bottom out. I made sure to leave the seam about an inch or so on either side of the zipper so it wouldn't come out and I hand stitched the ends to hold it. That worked great till I then realized they the rope might fall out while walking in so my next mod started. I had an old pair of hunting pants so I cut the cargo pocket out and left so material on the bottom. I then used a thread injector and attached that to either side of the zipper at the bottom sewed some gutted paracord on the back. Next cut a small square from the bottom and did the same to tie it up. Works good now all I have to do is untie it undo the zipper a little and push the rope out the bottom. Plus now I have a pocket to put something in like my bow rope.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 256
I've been meaning to add another zipper to the bottom of the bag. The old stepp bags use to have an open bottom to keep the ropes from unzipping the bag.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Great idea guys! I am only climbing with seven Steps and I pretty much completely unzip the bag and have been relying on the strap inside to keep them from falling out. It was definitely an issue when I had all ten in the bag. I was constantly fiddling with the zipper trying to make it work. This is an easy solution. I plan to pack the Steps and its bag in my pack when hiking in, so an open bottom is not even a concern. Pete

That is why I was considering it to make it zippered. Just so I have the option. It is only an issue with larger bags. Having the ropes hang out the top also makes the hang length shorter. There may be cases when you are at the base of the tree with a lot of thorny brush where it may be advantageous to have the ropes hang out the top.

I wonder if putting a toggle in the middle or maybe a couple places on the bag would help. I remember seeing a recent post of a mollee quick release toggle that could maybe work if you put mollee loops on both sides of the zipper.

Amsteel men - I have zero problems with ropes as amsteel gathers nicely in the bottom of the bag and pulls out easily. Yes it gets extremely tight when camming over, and you might have to fiddle with the knot for a few seconds to loosen it up - but that problem is way over exaggerated IMO. I personally use 1/4 inch Amsteel spliced onto my steps, but I would have zero problem using the smaller amsteel. I don't leave my steps out when I use them, I carry in/out each time (I only use them for platforms on some trees). If I was leaving them for presets platforms, I would stick with the original ropes as they don't seem to be effected by weather, sunlight or squirrels. The original ropes IMO get stiff with age and are a pain in the arse to get in/out of the bag. Amsteel is so much easier and quieter to work with IMO. I no longer use them to climb trees but if I did I would swap out all the ropes and use Amsteel personally.

Before I converted to Amsteel also, I was having the same issue. I fixed the sipper so it stopped halfway down or so,with a large safety pin though both sides of sipper.

The bag is definitely not a one handed zipper operation .. at least for me. I often have to hold the bottom of zipper w one hand and use other to zip it. My #1 gripe from day 1 was the bag but I have come to grips with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bag is definitely not a one handed zipper operation .. at least for me. I often have to hold the bottom of zipper w one hand and use other to zip it. My #1 gripe from day 1 was the bag but I have come to grips with it.

This is the approach I took with the zipper that really helped. I fed some zing it through the zipper and tied off the loop. This made the zipper easier to get a hold of and made it more of a one handed operation.
20180314_191551.jpg

So I just watched the video, the ropes won’t slide out on a long hike? Maybe the answer is to sew a pull rope to tighten it. Like the top of a draw string sling bag, like the bag the kestrel comes in. Silent but can squeeze that hole tighter until you want it completely open?

I was planning on stuffing the Steps and bag in my pack when going in and out. Are you guys just slinging it on your shoulders when hiking?

In my backpack but I carry filming stuff and run a 2800 cu in pack. If space was a premium (i.e. running a smaller pack) I would definitely consider carrying them on my side.

Depends on how far of a hike for me. If it’s not too far I wrapped the strap around my hand a few times and let the bag hang off my hand as I walk. Bow in other hand. I will not throw it over my shoulder. That gets annoying and a bit painful lol

I added KAMsnaps to my bag so they wouldn’t all fall out. They are really easy to install, would require no sewing if you used one on either side and don’t require you to make a hole in the bag. In case you’re worried about noise they make less noise then the zipper when you pop them open slowly.
2662c563e0affc2fd36aedbd32ce37ac.jpg

Two mods I made were a paracord cobra weave zipper pull and a sinch rope added to the top of the bag when I went from 12 to 8 steps. Now I just need to do this for the bottom of the bag.

Attachments

• 398ED37E-CFB2-42F7-98AC-A6E5620B9A28.jpeg
    398ED37E-CFB2-42F7-98AC-A6E5620B9A28.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 124
Two mods I made were a paracord cobra weave zipper pull and a sinch rope added to the top of the bag when I went from 12 to 8 steps. Now I just need to do this for the bottom of the bag.
Yes this is what I was thinking about doing to the bottom of the bag!

Back