• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Stepps platform

swampsnyper

I came up with a good system to install easy. Just need a better way to attach or hook to the main line. I wanted the system to be able to put one step on at a time. One carabiner in the middle of the cross brace worked ok but had a little rocking from side to side. It needs to be supported from each side like the original rope does to be solid. 2 carabiners work well and my be the way I go. I wish the soft shackles were easier. Would be tough with gloves. A hook tied around the cross bar and wrapped around the side rung like the wild edge rope, dipped in plasti dip would be nice. Anyone know of a small hook rated enough to be safe for this application. Maybe a chain link. Hmmmmmm

ad7211c781fd3df0ed3c53697b561448.jpg

I like where you're going with this. I don't think welding hooks to just the top two stand offs would do the trick though. They wouldn't be pulling on the bottom point which is required to get the stepp solid and dug in at all three points.. Welding hooks to the center bar would probably work though. It would put equal pull pressure on all three points. You've already proven that with the carabiners. Maybe also weld some angle pieces from the hooks up to each top stand off. Should be pretty solid at that point.

Something like this maybe? I only have a piece of wire to demonstrate. The real deal would be a piece of 1/4” steel rod. Weld it under the crossbar and against the square tubing. Then weld it to the under side of the standoff. Keep it pulled back from the standoff tips a little bit to allow the step to be pulled tight into the bark when you cam over the primary step. With the hooks being welded out under the stand offs (the steps widest point) they should be crazy stout!

(Yes, for some strange reason I seem to have a stepp in my work office LOL)

01d6cbb657870b0a14fb0e6d9f3525e4.jpg

4a717f9189146ecde120d34aacaf3f81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like where you're going with this. I don't think welding hooks to just the top two stand offs would do the trick though. They wouldn't be pulling on the bottom point which is required to get the stepp solid and dug in at all three points.. Welding hooks to the center bar would probably work though. It would put equal pull pressure on all three points. You've already proven that with the carabiners. Maybe also weld some angle pieces from the hooks up to each top stand off. Should be pretty solid at that point.

Yeah I knew that, was just babbling on camera. Don’t think straight when the camera is on! Lol
I wouldn’t want to weld anything. It would have to be perfect to still fit in the bag. I’m thinking some kind of small hooked amsteel’ed to the cross bar ends.

Yeah I knew that, was just babbling on camera. Don’t think straight when the camera is on! Lol
I wouldn’t want to weld anything. It would have to be perfect to still fit in the bag. I’m thinking some kind of small hooked amsteel’ed to the cross bar ends.

Got it. Well here you go then! From Dutchware. 1000 lb breaking strength! A little pricey but they might be perfect for your application.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/dutch-biners/

dutchbiner2-page.jpg

Could you use a little hook - like from that buckle strap @ckossuth used to make his climber stable, or maybe the kind off the end of a ratchet strap, secured with amsteel loops, and wrapped in electrical tape or something so it won't clang against the other metal?

Edit - Talking about these - just realized there's lots of kinds:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...Straps/1-x-20-Ratchet-Strap-w-S-Hooks-Utility

Yes that’s what I’m thinking but it has to be short. There is only about 3in from the tree to the crossbar.
I think some dutchware bling like @ckossuth recommended will be the ticket!

Make it the bottom step in the bag and it should fit right

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

He’s got to have them on all of the platform steps except for the primary camming step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ok I thought he was just wanting it on the 3rd one that's always a PITA to get the rope where it's not hitting anything else

Oh ok I thought he was just wanting it on the 3rd one that's always a PITA to get the rope where it's not hitting anything else

Yes 2 should be all I need. I don’t like camming them over from the side and want to avoid having to hang in my saddle trying to put them on if possible.

What if you had the steps attached permanently with soft shackles to a webbing strap with a boat buckle on it. Tighten the boat buckle then cam over the stepps?

What if you had the steps attached permanently with soft shackles to a webbing strap with a boat buckle on it. Tighten the boat buckle then cam over the stepps?

Want to get away from the boat buckle. Want to slide one step on at a time so it’s not a cluster...... camming the one step tightens the knot. Then when you uncam it, it stays tied to the tree with slack in the rope. Perfect to hook on a step to each side.
I ordered the Dutch Biner to try.

Put some ameristeps on the WE strap to try while I’m waiting on the Dutch binders to come in. They are not very solid. It was easy to set up though. Think the strap isn’t wide enough to really secure them. May not be tight enough either.
8ee3d7db98ad6b90f1520dfba80fa40d.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe last step that would be your platform- take the rope off and use a strap.

Got the Dutch biners in. To have the biners and amsteel length right for a tight fit makes connecting them to the main stepp line tight and too much fiddling. The bite in the Dutch biner that the spring latch sets in grabs the stepp strap or the amsteel continuous loop when you are trying to take it off. Once it’s attached to the main stepp strap and everything is cammed over, it’s makes a solid platform. Just a simple smooth hook would be so nice but haven’t figured out how to attach it.

622dbeaee636067fbe5f7e7430d72724.jpg

Splice one of the flat hooks from Strapworks onto your continuous loop. Then just hook it to the Stepp Ladder rope.

flathook_b.jpg

Got the Dutch biners in. To have the biners and amsteel length right for a tight fit makes connecting them to the main stepp line tight and too much fiddling. The bite in the Dutch biner that the spring latch sets in grabs the stepp strap or the amsteel continuous loop when you are trying to take it off. Once it’s attached to the main stepp strap and everything is cammed over, it’s makes a solid platform. Just a simple smooth hook would be so nice but haven’t figured out how to attach it.

622dbeaee636067fbe5f7e7430d72724.jpg
Dang it! I was hoping those would have done the trick. Just FYI, I figured out how to weld a hook on the steps to where they all remain stackable. I remember that was a concern you mentioned earlier. I think the hook would also be in a good location to promote maximum stability.

Back