• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge steps with etrier method...how to hook on step?

JDUB007

For those of you using the 3-4 wild edge step method with 5 step etrier, how are you hooking the etrier to the crossbar on the step to climb? It seems like it would need to be something you can lift off and pull up to the next step and not a locking carabiner...

Black diamond fifi hook for me, put some stealth strip on the step, then two small zip ties around where you have the hook to keep it from being noisy or sliding. Hook has large hole you can carabiner to etrier, and small hole you connect to you to pull up etrier after you hang next step.

Climbing down is a PITA. And I would rather SRT climb, so I usually have rope to rappel back down.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Black diamond fifi hook for me, put some stealth strip on the step, then two small zip ties around where you have the hook to keep it from being noisy or sliding. Hook has large hole you can carabiner to etrier, and small hole you connect to you to pull up etrier after you hang next step.

Climbing down is a PITA. And I would rather SRT climb, so I usually have rope to rappel back down.

I’m using the same approach for climbing, with exception of a carabiner instead of the fifi hook (which I’ll need to experiment with). For decent, I’m using the rope to guide the aider down to the step.
I posted a few pictures and a video on another thread.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/hybrid-climb-w-we-stepps.17066/

I like the rappelling idea, how do you get the rope off the tree once you’re on the ground?

I’m using the same approach for climbing, with exception of a carabiner instead of the fifi hook (which I’ll need to experiment with). For decent, I’m using the rope to guide the aider down to the step.
I posted a few pictures and a video on another thread.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/hybrid-climb-w-we-stepps.17066/

I like the rappelling idea, how do you get the rope off the tree once you’re on the ground?
Girth hitch rope to tree, on the girth hitch clip a carabiner with paracord on it. Rappel down, yank paracord, and your loop for the girth hitch should pull right to you.

I have a hook on mine(I can take a picture when I get home). I tie a piece of paracord on the top of the hook then to my belt loop so I can’t drop it. Once on the step you just pull it up and put it on the next step. When coming down it’s very easy my hook will grab almost every time in the place I want it to. It would be easier to repel down I just don’t want the weight of 35ft of rope and the gear but I go as lite and minimal as possible. It’s really easy quick quiet and lite!!!

I have a hook on mine(I can take a picture when I get home). I tie a piece of paracord on the top of the hook then to my belt loop so I can’t drop it. Once on the step you just pull it up and put it on the next step. When coming down it’s very easy my hook will grab almost every time in the place I want it to. It would be easier to repel down I just don’t want the weight of 35ft of rope and the gear but I go as lite and minimal as possible. It’s really easy quick quiet and lite!!!
I get it, I could save some serious bulk getting rid of my rope, but a few trees I want to hunt are too big for WE steps, so I just carry it all, throw ball, rope, hand ascender 4WE Stepps.

Itll thin out during the season I'm sure, but for early when I'm not dragging in extra heavy clothes, this works.

I get it, I could save some serious bulk getting rid of my rope, but a few trees I want to hunt are too big for WE steps, so I just carry it all, throw ball, rope, hand ascender 4WE Stepps.

Itll thin out during the season I'm sure, but for early when I'm not dragging in extra heavy clothes, this works.

I’m not downing it at all. I looked at doing it but I just can’t justify buying the gear for something I don’t think I will use. It’s great way to climb but here it’s a lot of pines so it’s just easier to use the steps for me.

I’m using a non locking carabiner wrapped in vet tape. I admit it’s a pain to squat on the step and remove, but that’s how I’ve been doing it

I’m not downing it at all. I looked at doing it but I just can’t justify buying the gear for something I don’t think I will use. It’s great way to climb but here it’s a lot of pines so it’s just easier to use the steps for me.
That's fair, I had some stuff, got some on sale, I just got way too excited about hunting many trees instead of using a straight branchless tree I can use with my climbing stand.

Throwing a knaider into the mix helps out a ton. Climb up the 5 step aider, hook in knaider, unhook aider, clip aider to saddle, stand on step, repeat

I’ve seen some with an oversized vinyl coated s hook like what’s on the end of a ratchet strap...I wonder where I can go pick up just the hook

I also see where people c/o climbing down being more difficult with kick outs but I saw another vid somewhere where the guy put paracord or something taped to the right and left of where you’d want the hook to stay in the middle of the wild edge step crossbar. That way the hook doesn’t slip out to the side and might help prevent kick out.

I had to read this again good idea on the zip ties

This is how I have my hook you can see the paracord I unwrap that and tie it to my belt loop as I climb I have since added tape to the steps to make it grab in the center of the step every time.

Attachments

• A6E83580-D729-4964-9E76-303EF5083DDA.jpeg
    A6E83580-D729-4964-9E76-303EF5083DDA.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 18
Hook, paracord, zip ties stealth stripping.
51688c083195bc19c6bd815968b51da5.jpg

This is how I have my hook you can see the paracord I unwrap that and tie it to my belt loop as I climb I have since added tape to the steps to make it grab in the center of the step every time.
Where’d you get the hook? Cut it off a ratchet strap or did you order it from somewhere?

What about this idea? Maybe even a longer Prussik so that you can kind of pull up the aider as your making the last step up into the WE step and unhook it to then ba able to hook it to the next WE step.a bigger carabiner is needed.and better rope for prussik. Just a test run.
AB2FE00C-0014-4E82-87E3-05F3C7A440D3.jpeg

Attachments

• BC0E371D-DE5F-4B7F-AC11-E0185DA220FD.jpeg
    BC0E371D-DE5F-4B7F-AC11-E0185DA220FD.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 38
What about this idea? Maybe even a longer Prussik so that you can kind of pull up the aider as your making the last step up into the WE step and unhook it to then ba able to hook it to the next WE step.a bigger carabiner is needed.and better rope for prussik. Just a test run.
View attachment 15743
This probably would work just takes a little extra time to clip and unclip to move up and down. Is that 1/4” amsteel mod on your wild edge steps?

This probably would work just takes a little extra time to clip and unclip to move up and down. Is that 1/4” amsteel mod on your wild edge steps?

It’s 7/64. I’ve also been playing with 3/4” mule tape. Which btw is the best pull up rope out there. The mule tape is cheap and super strong. I can see where it will get abrasion wear using it for the steps and need replaced.

Back