• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hybrid climb w/ WE Stepps

huntin_addict

I'll preface by saying I consider myself to be pretty well experienced climbing/hunting from trees.

I really liked the concept of the WE Stepps using a 5 step aider, so I picked up (2) sets of 4 Wild Edge Stepps, 5 step aiders and knaiders. It is a pretty awesome setup, packability is great & 3 Stepps plus 5 step aider gets me to 20'. I've been practicing and tweaking all summer and am pretty comfortable. I have come to the conclusion that this is an advanced method.

What has been eating at me are multiple little issues. First is that the aider likes to twist itself on occasion. Not a big deal going up, but that isn't when it would happen. Bigger deal coming down, especially come hunting season, in the dark, nothing reflective on the aider, potentially wet. Next is the ever present potential for "kick out", again, dark and wet present something to consider. Next, what if I drop the stupid aider on the way down? I could use a hook of some sort and tie it to myself, but that is another thing I could get caught up in. The knaider I could never see, so I'm trying to go by feel all the time which didnt excite me. Throw the cold into the mix and I decided I needed to think about the entire setup / system.

I came up with a mixed climb so to speak. I hang my first Stepp head high and use the aider and just leave it hang (I'm going to somehow weight the bottom so it won't blow around too much). Once I get up on the first Stepp, I then start hanging them at waist level and head height and climb exclusively with a knaider as an assist device. I positioned it so it is at the top of my knee so I can clearly see it. It now takes me 5 Stepps to get the same height as 3. I was carrying 4 Stepps all the time anyhow, so adding one more is a non-issue. I feel alot more comfortable considering that 90% of the issues I had were with the use of the aider at height. I've modified that issue and think this will be my complete setup moving forward.

Just some thoughts that some other guys may be able to use moving forward.

Last edited:
I have been thinking through a similar plan. It makes sense to use the more risky method at the bottom and easier methods as you go up. It seems to me that most the kick outs I've read about were with an aider or a swaider. The knaider seems to be safer. I'd love to here if anyone has had kick outs or other issues with the knaider

I’m using 6 WE Stepps with a 5 step black diamond aider.
I tied a rope from the aider to my WE bag (see pictures below) and can guide the aider with the rope. The rope also solved the issue of dropping the aider, and also allows you to pull the aider up after climbing up onto the stepp. I haven’t tried it In the dark yet, but plan on putting some reflective material on each aider step so i can see them and make sure they’re straight before descending.
Had the same problem with kick outs, until I started stepping down on the aider BEFORE putting my toe into the tree. I believe kick outs occur because you put your toe against the tree before taking the slack out of the aider, so your foot slides off the tree when you go to step up.
I’ll post a video tomorrow or Monday.

IMG_0376.JPGIMG_0377.JPGIMG_0375.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On other thing to mention. The rope from the aider to the bag is slightly longer than the distance from the bag to my foot, so that it doesn’t pull the aider off the stepp while I’m standing on it, but also doesn’t have any extra rope to minimize hang ups.
I’m carrying 6 Stepps and which gets me to 30’ if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonstration of my climbing technique using the Wild Edge Stepps and a Black Diamond 5-step aider. I don't like the carabiners I'm currently using, they're XINDA oval twist-locks and they are a pain to open with one hand as you can see as I try to remove the lineman belt. I'm swapping them out for the Oval twist-locks that WEI sells, and changing out all three lines (LB, tether, bridge) with the WEI Sterling OpLux 8mm line, each with a Kong Duck and the oval carabiner.

I haven't timed myself climbing yet, but under 2 mins per Stepp seems reasonable, which puts me at 25' in ~10 minutes. Still working to improve the approach so any suggestions are welcome.

I agree that it’s advanced. I’m definitely adding a small cord to prevent drops. I didn’t have it last year and was fortunate not to drop it. My five step is yellow, I find it easier to see in the dark, while descending. My kick out issues were amplified on small diameter trees. So I’m a little more discerning in my tree selection. My only concern with your new method is how much noticeable movement your 5 step aider could have being left on the bottom step. At deer eye level, does that concern you? Maybe a small weight it the bottom will keep it still.

Thanks will check out the yellow aider. Also looking into reflective cord to wrap around each aider step so I can see it in the dark. I'm not leaving it on the bottom step, I bring the aider up with me at each Stepp, and then pack it in the bag once I reach hunting height.

If I were leaving it on the bottom stepp I would definitely put a weight on the bottom of the aider to reduce the movement.

I agree that it’s advanced. I’m definitely adding a small cord to prevent drops. I didn’t have it last year and was fortunate not to drop it. My five step is yellow, I find it easier to see in the dark, while descending. My kick out issues were amplified on small diameter trees. So I’m a little more discerning in my tree selection. My only concern with your new method is how much noticeable movement your 5 step aider could have being left on the bottom step. At deer eye level, does that concern you? Maybe a small weight it the bottom will keep it still.
I'm not overly concerned about the aider hanging. In the past I would typically leave my hoist rope dangling.

Back