• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Willing to use multiple sticks if you can eliminate having to retrieve your bow and rope?

Give up SRT/DDRT/2TC/1Stick/etc if you can eliminate gear retrieval and rappel line retrieval?

• Total voters

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Planning to use the Mystery Ranch POPUP next season. This mean if I use multiple sticks, I can go up and down the tree without having to pull up or lower my bow as it can be attached to pack. And honestly, I can probably just not rappel down as long as I descent in a safe manner. This would remove 2 aspects of my setup (gear retrieval and rappel rope retrieval) and would make it simpler. Not too worried about speed but just from my view, the shorter/simpler the setup the less chance of making more noises. I figured adding 3-4 sticks would add 6-8 lbs which I probably would not notice weight wise since I'm carrying a pack. Honestly, I'm considering the chances because I drop my bow last season (expensive mistake) and I'm tire of fighting branches pulling it up, especially with small diameter Paracord or Dynaglide because they were eating up my hands. Rather have the bow safely stored in a pack. It was a lot easier once I realized I can attach it at the end of my rappel rope but the anxiety of seeing it bounced against the tree going up sucks, especially when arrows get tangle and stuff!

Anyway, who here that SRT/DDRT/2TC/1Stick/etc would be willing to use multiple sticks if you can eliminate having to retrieve your bow and rope?

Last edited:
Planning to use the Mystery Ranch POPUP next season. This mean if I use multiple sticks, I can go up and down the tree without having to pull up or lower my bow as it can be attached to pack. And honestly, I can probably just not rappel down as long as I descent in a safe manner. This would remove 2 aspects of my setup (gear retrieval and rappel rope retrieval) and would make it simpler. Not too worried about speed but just from my view, the shorter/simpler the setup the less chance of making more noises. I figured adding 3-4 sticks would add 6-8 lbs which I probably would not notice weight wise since I'm carrying a pack. Honestly, I'm considering the chances because I drop my bow last season (expensive mistake) and I'm tire of fighting branches pulling it up, especially with small diameter Paracord or Dynaglide because they were eating up my hands. Rather have the bow safely stored in a pack. It was a lot easier once I realized I can attach it at the end of my rappel rope but the anxiety of seeing it bounced against the tree going up sucks, especially when arrows get tangle and stuff!

Anyway, who here that SRT/DDRT/2TC/1Stick/etc would be willing to use multiple sticks if you can eliminate having to retrieve your bow and rope?
Not seeing the connection between climbing method and bow on backpack vs rope, as I've done both/either way. Meaning you can do any of those climbing methods with a bow strapped to your backpack too, not just sticks.

Personally, I went back to the pull rope because having the bow on my back made it a bit more difficult for me moving past branches, and since I'm always going to rappel down, I've got my pull down rope anyway. But I also have a cheaper bow that I don't mind sitting down in the dirt, if I had a flagship one perhaps I'd baby it a bit more

Not seeing the connection between climbing method and bow on backpack vs rope, as I've done both/either way. Meaning you can do any of those climbing methods with a bow strapped to your backpack too, not just sticks.

Personally, I went back to the pull rope because having the bow on my back made it a bit more difficult for me moving past branches, and since I'm always going to rappel down, I've got my pull down rope anyway. But I also have a cheaper bow that I don't mind sitting down in the dirt, if I had a flagship one perhaps I'd baby it a bit more

Hmm you are right. I guess I should also ask, who climb with a full pack? I mean if you are comfortable climbing with a full pack then its a pointless question. So far, I don't see anyone SRT/JRB/2TC/1Stick with a full pack, but I can be mistaken.

I don't see how any aspect of that is mutually exclusive, but I think you just have to work through some different options and figure out what works for you. I had been using paracord to pull up my bow and extra clothes for 20 years without a problem. So it wasn't in need of a solution when I went to saddle hunting and dabbling with zanier climbing methods. Sounds like it might be a frustration for you to work out. There's lots of stuff on here some guys do that absolutely boggles my mind. Hunting is a very personal endeavor in terms of preferences and annoyances.

I use a pack that I can attach my bow to, but I do both 1 stick and multiple sticks. But I always use a hoist rope/retrieval line. I'm not sure what eliminating 6oz. of rope is going to realistically benefit it's in my pack either way. I may not understand the question either.

Voted No - Pulling bow up and rappel rope down are not downsides for me. If I used multiple sticks, I would still likely pull my bow up separately and rappel down afterward.

The downsides to using multiple sticks include:
- Carrying multiple sticks
- Unpacking multiple sticks
- Lifting multiple sticks
- Setting up multiple sticks
- Climbing up multiple sticks
- Relying on LB for safety
- Climbing down multiple sticks
- Tearing down multiple sticks
- Repacking multiple sticks

For me, weight is the least of my concerns. Compactness and packability however rate very high on my priorities. I haven't found a stack of sticks yet that meet that criteria for me.

My pullup/pulldown string is the only thing I pack on my saddle since it is so small. I use a keychain carabiner on it to securely a fix to my bow sling while retrieving and lowering it. I could do away with retrieving and lowering it by simply leaving it slung but the potential of falling with arrows and broadheads attached to me is not something I care for. Besides, I'm way more likely to drop my bow by knocking it off the hanger than having it come unclipped from my retrieval line. When I'm rifle hunting from the saddle I always climb/rappel with my (unloaded) rifle slung rather than take a chance of knocking it over or needing to lay it flat at the base of tree.

I also think rappelling is by far the safest means out of the tree (and the most fun :tearsofjoy:) regardless of how I climb.

EDIT: For the follow on question: I climb with a full pack, including my upper layers on my back each time, every time. The only thing I pull up/lower is my bow.

I tend to climb a tree that has something at the base or another tree next to it. Not a pole out in the open. So backpack or weapon attached to me while climbing hinders the operation. Also a reason I don't like using sticks. Retrieval device some times bails you out if needed. But for me personally. I feel safer with the weapon on the ground while I climb.

I can easily climb 2TC, sticks or WE Stepps with my Superday pack and bow/gun strapped to the back. No rappel rope needed for me anymore. Ditched it and don't miss it.

I still like to pull my bow up and lower it down. The added weight when ascending a tree isn't worth carrying it up for me personally. I never pull up my back or clothing. My pack and outer layers are always on my pack when going up and down. The ONLY thing I pull up is my bow.

I ascend and descend with both my pack and chest rig on, whichever way that I choose to climb (rope method/step method), most of the time (and pull my bow up after the fact). However, I have yet to find a way that I am comfortable carrying both my bow AND pack up a tree at the same time. However, if I am going in light and do not need extra layers etc., and I'm only wearing my chest rig, I will climb with my bow on a sling across my back.

I had 3 encounters with deer this year in which I was in the middle or near the end of a climb and had deer come in less than 10 yards. The first one I had my bow on the ground to pull up and couldn't do anything but watch....however I now carry my bow with a sling (no pack, not now, not ever) on my back as I climb and pull up my platform with my srt/jrb rope whether I 2TC or other.
The next 2 times I had my bow on my back while climbing allowed me to harvest 1 doe and practice the motions on another.

I can easily climb 2TC, sticks or WE Stepps with my Superday pack and bow/gun strapped to the back. No rappel rope needed for me anymore. Ditched it and don't miss it.

I still like to pull my bow up and lower it down. The added weight when ascending a tree isn't worth carrying it up for me personally. I never pull up my back or clothing. My pack and outer layers are always on my pack when going up and down. The ONLY thing I pull up is my bow.

resident safety pup approves of this message.....just couldn't climb with broadheads that close to me

Hmm you are right. I guess I should also ask, who climb with a full pack? I mean if you are comfortable climbing with a full pack then its a pointless question. So far, I don't see anyone SRT/JRB/2TC/1Stick with a full pack, but I can be mistaken.
I can 2TC with a full pack on, shorter movements because bending at the waist is difficult with a full pack that has internal framing, but shorter movements tend to be quieter and safer, so it's a win win for me

I always climb with pack on regardless of climbing method. Bow is always on the ground to one side or the other of where I will be going up or coming down the tree. The only way adding sticks will not be noticeable from a weight perspective is if you never hunt more than a few hundred yards from the vehicle.

I don't see myself giving up the rappel rope. After about 3 weeks of rappel practice, I'm personally sold on rappelling down the tree for me, & the way I climb. So, the rappel rope stays! ;)

I'm an older guy (gonna be 61 this year,) so I know that I do it "slower & lower" than probably most of you "Spider-men" out there! :tonguewink:

I'm almost able to get the height I want with 3 WE Stepps & a 6-step etrier. Also still playing with aiders, and a knaider/swaider pair.

The critical thing for me that I learned so far is that by using my stepps, I can hang any of those things far enough away from the tree that it makes inserting my foot into the loops much easier, plus, I'm not a fan at all of hugging the tree for support-the way I hang the stepps always gives me a secure handhold for the next move up.

Plus if I feel I need extra security, I have an extra 12' sling double girthed to my waist belt with a 'biner on it, & I can clip it into a stepp at waist level. When I do that I don't need a lineman's belt.

Also, for me, I find it easier to leave the pack & bow at the bottom & pull 'em up with the rappel rope. Less weight to throw me off balance on the way up, especially if I'm starting on the "down hill" leaning side of the tree but want to end up on the "up hill" side.

So, if I can make 3 steps work, that'll be 6 steps total (6lb,) or if I need 4, it'll go to 7 & 7lb. I'm good with that.

Last edited:
Plus if I feel I need extra security, I have an extra 12' sling double girthed to my waist belt with a 'biner on it, & I can clip it into a stepp at waist level. When I do that I don't need a lineman's belt.

are you also tethered to the tree when clipping to the step like a lineman's?

that's the only way i'd do that....i'd never trust a step/stick fully

I one stick and I have already eliminated the bow stuff. I climb and decend with everything on my back. Carry my one stick on a sling, walk up to the tree, put my one sick on the tree and climb. I don’t have to take a pack off or anything and nothing touches the ground. As far as rope retrieval, IMO it’s well worth not having to climb down sticks and aiders in the dark.

I voted depends but during the later part of last season I went to using multiple sticks from one sticking exclusively due to how light and compact the Gen3 One sticks are. I can’t believe how much this has made me reassess my system. I carry my bow in a sling that covers the cams and sight and pull it up once at hh. I’ve dabbled with a Jakt sling over the back while climbing with my bow but prefer to climb with my pack on as I’ve moved everything off my saddle and onto my pack. I like rappelling down and it is arguably the safest option but honestly it hasn’t saved me appreciably in set up and tear down time whatsoever. I’m also not carrying a bundle of rope and extra mech devices anymore either. But I plan on still one sticking but I am also trying cranford rope steps and WE Stepps again this year as well. I will always wear my pack up and pull my bow/gun up. I use a marsupial gear scope/muzzle cover for my firearms so I feel better about setting it in the ground before hauling up. If I have a tree nearby my climb tree I will just lean it against that tree and connect the haul line to the upper part of the buttstock sling attachment point, muzzle down due to the cover. I also tape the muzzle of all of my firearms during the season.

Back