• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wooden preset platforms?

BenG

Is anyone using wooden platforms that can be ratchet strapped to the tree for preset stands? I’ve got a basic idea of what I’m gonna try to build but just wanted to see if anyone already has a working design?

Someone built one and posted it a while back. Don't remember who but Red does.

I did see one by Donnie with a 4x4 and 2x4 frame going around it but I’m looking for something a little bigger to put both feet and shoot 360 comfortably. About the size of the xop platform would be good. It will be relatively heavy but as a preset it won’t matter.

Maybe this is what you are thinking about:

TreeSlinger
647000 M-40
Jones, MI 49061 269-435-2456

He has a few of these sets left from a business that he has closed. If you want any, better hurry...

https://swmi.craigslist.org/spo/d/tree-stand/6311761195.html

00E0E_fXp0GEMSNdw_600x450.jpg

00n0n_hkuuk527eBM_600x450.jpg

00m0m_four3dCI1G2_600x450.jpg

Here's what I built haven't used it yet, I've been thinking about some climbing webbing and a carabiner so I can SRT up to it, but might use the webbing anchor thing instead
f146664dfce2c6f789234b9081f015c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was thinking two 2x6’s screwed together for a post with a 2x6 v notch on the bottom and 2x12 v notched on top for the platform then a 2x6 at a 45 back to the post. Maybe for the top a couple layers of plywood screwed together instead of the 2x12. Not sure if it’s overkill but the plan is to paint it and have it last several years.

2x10 I see no reason they couldn't be a 12 though.
I've never hunted from them. I built them to practice off of. Which would be basically the same. I've only tried them on pine trees in my lawn. Once they settle they are very solid. I tried putting two on a strap and that doesn't work.

The diagnal board is knotched. It's glued with outdoor wood glue and all screwed together. I weigh 215 without gear and I've never broken or shifted one. If you alternate the grain when putting them together and glue them it's a lot less likely to split.

To be honest I didn't put much thought into them. I needed something quick that I could leave up for practice, and for that they've been great. Way to heavy for me to do any Mobil sits but I'd say they'd work for a preset.

Back