• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would you take this shot

Aeds151

So the other day I watched a buck that I had my eyes on ,through cameras, coming at me down the trail I was set up over. I watched him feed and rub briars up to 15 yards. He was about to step broadside into my shooting lane at 15yrds. Right as I was about to draw, he turned quartering to me and plopped down. There he was laying right in front of me. I felt that if I drew back, he might bust me. Then I thought, I draw back then what? I could shoot for neck and hit face or shoulder. I didnt like it. After about 45mins, I doe bleated ever so lightly, pointing the tube away. A few of these didnt do the trick. I the did a quick fraction of a grunt hoping to get him to stand up and move a little. Well he got up a little spooked, and turned away from me, walked about 15 yards and turned back. I bleated and he just walked out of there. What should I have done? You would do and do you think he would come back? Attached is pic as I watched him lay.
76a6e187f99654c31b3c86004e5ab63e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no good shot with an arrow. Just wait. With a rifle, shoot him in the head.

Im not good enough eith a bow to make t but at. Id been debating ig as ll day though.

I have not been in that situation before. I would have likely waited until he stood on his own... Probably would have grunted and bleated also. Sometimes if you mimic a doe blowing you can incite curiosity. I have done this numerous times to get a curious deer to come into range. It would feel like an eternity, but waiting him out would most likely be the best option.

Wait him out unless running out of daylight. Bedded bucks will normally stand and reposition (around an hour or so) after scratching his back and licking his...... well you get the drift. LoL.

I've watched them act like dogs and turn tight circles before bedding. Seen one snooze on the hoof for the first time this season. Cool stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I think I'd wait until he stood up on his own before shooting, but I can't guarantee I wouldn't try calling in the heat of the moment. Laying on my couch reading this....I'd wait til he stood up and hope he gave me a good shot.

Ya I blew it. Best part is, I have hunted that spot a ton and I have only seen one other deer there. He was a 150”. 5 1/2yo. He took my arrow low and survived. The place is cursed.

I shot a standing buck this year at the same angle. I tucked it in tight to the shoulder. I shoot a Magnus 125 broadhead and 455 grains total weight arrows. It was a complete pass through and he ran 20 yards. If you have heavy arrows and you aren’t worried about not penetration I would take the shot. With light arrows and a mechanical head I will pass.

I would have passed the shot and waited. I did this exact thing last year when a buck I was after came in and bedded almost the same way. Problem was I had drawn when he walked in and he bedded with me at full draw and no shot lol. I was able to let down without him seeing me and I hung in the most awkward position for over half hour just waiting for him to stand up. He eventually did and I got my shot but it was brutal! haha

I have to go with the majority here, there's no GOOD shot. I think if your in a spot that has some good bucks and this might not be your only crack at one, I think I may have taken the more aggressive route and called like you did to make something happen. I'm from a place where you don't see this kind of buck to often. If I have good consistent wind on him where he lays, I'm gonna wait him out.

Ya this was in the Ozark Mountains so not too many mature bucks are seen. Also, my bow hand was freezing out and getting a little painful so thats when i decided to make a move. Headed to the spot now. Hope he is on camera post the day i bumped him out of bed.
68b34bd96944c355cd6e4ebf3d3ef6e5.jpg
201f9ad5313f376da2586f63f21c4c32.jpg
515cb43bfb8e05bed3ff3b55463b3790.jpg

Back