• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether Length

WormyJames

SH Member
New to Saddle hunting --Phantom got delivered yesterday!
Wondering what length y'all are running your tethers at? and Linesman belt too?
Thanks, Rick

Congratulations on your new Phantom!

I usually set my tether at about nose height, but it's always good to experiment for what works best for you. A longer tether will allow you more slack to work your way around the tree uninhibited, but from my experience, a higher and longer tether can interfere with my bow string a little. Some guys set their tether low and have a shorter bridge. I'd like to experiment with that myself, but it seems like it would limit my ability to work my way around the tree before I run out of tether slack.
As far as lineman's belt, I keep it comfortably close to the tree. While climbing, I loosen it so I can make the steps comfortably up my sticks, then re-tighten to hang my next stick or my platform.
I always ran a stock bridge on my Mantis and never adjusted the bridge on my Kestrel, although I believe the original owner shortened it just a little. I never actually measured it. I recently received a Cruzr XC, so I'm looking forward to messing with different bridge lengths.
Play around with it at ground level and see what feels good. The best way is by trying different settings and longer sits will reveal what you like and don't like. Have fun with it and be safe.

I think he means the length of rope. I think I run about 9 feet on both to accommodate large trees. But...you can probably go shorter....

Most tether ropes are about 7ft. Long with the length it will take care of most trees diameter and 8ft. For your lineman will do the same good hunting have fun and be safe!

I bought my Kestrel with the 12 foot tether. For actual hunting on most average sized trees, 12' is more than you need.
But I also use my saddle for doing presets. That long tether allows me a lot more ability to prep the tree better. I can tether in and then go to work pruning or making other adjustments to stand set, bolts, etc. Sometimes I'm 6 or 8 feet down the tether to reach a branch that I want to prune.
A tether can never be too long, but a tether can be too short.
Since I switched to Oplux, I like the 12 footer even more.

I run an 8 foot as well. If you plan on buying bulk rope and tying your own, make sure to add about 2 foot for a figure-8 and sufficient tail to be safe.

I use duplicate rope for LB & tether

Each is 9ft end-to-end consisting of 5” eye at one end & 2” eye at the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...if I’m running Oplux for my tether and I want it to finish at 8, I should buy 10 feet? Also, if I’m getting the Beal jammy, should I do 35 cm or does it matter? Also, I believe I’m going with the canyon IV rope for my lineman...I am planning on running a Kong with that, so if I’m going to tie one end permanently to my linesmen loop and run the Kong on the other end, should I buy 9 foot or 10 foot if I want it to end up at 8 foot as well? Sorry, first time attempting something other than commercially available stuff from Tethrd.

I tell everyone that the figure 8 and stopper knots take up about 3' of Oplux and advise 11' for an 8' finished length. The most common size of Beal Jammy is 35cm and that works with Oplux, but I found it tightens down too much for me. 6mm TRC or 5.5 Beal Cordellete tied in a distel or schwabish hitch takes about 3-3.5' and works better in my opinion.

Ahhh, I gotcha. That’s the exact info I was looking for. Much appreciated, sir! Will be giving you money very soon :)

Back