• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd One Climbing Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are pretty cool looking. I"m curious what the testing as looked like and the longevity.

Yes, and "chemical welds" have gone mostly the way of the dodo in the cycling world. Early carbon/aluminum and carbon/titanium combination road bikes used to to be "chemically bonded" but because of the properties of the two materials being so dissimilar(flex memory) over time they became noodly and the bonds began to fail. I'm sure there are better glues and epoxies used these days, but that would scare the crap out of me glued metal joints that flex fail eventually.

Auto repair shops are literally "gluing" unibodies as opposed to welding. 300lbs aint chit, regardless of perceived flex. I trust it more than a 1/4" bolt.

Add in what looks to me a giant shear pin, and I'd buy you set of sticks of your choice if you break these under normal use..

The Steps/standoffs and the rope cleat encircle the titanium tube and the steps/standoffs appear to be pinned in place as well, not sure about the cleat.

Forces perpendicular to the tube should be managed well by the encircling aspect of the build. Vertical and axial forces are managed by the pins and I imagine the chemical weld, which could I suppose be oversimplified as a "glue" process. I've no expertise there, but googled chemical weld and it seems a fair bit more advanced than its being credited.

Time will tell, but this design looks to have great potential.

Last edited:
Auto repair shops are literally "gluing" unibodies as opposed to welding. 300lbs aint chit, regardless of perceived flex. I trust it more than a 1/4" bolt.

Add in what looks to me a giant shear pin, and I'd buy you set of sticks of your choice if you break these under normal use..
Agreed, like I said, it has come a long way- I was commenting more on just a chemical bond--The pin looks like a hollow roll pin, not a shear pin, maybe to just line everything up for bonding, but you're right, it probably adds some structural integrity as well.

And these are definitely cool--Im not downplaying the design or innovation--please dont take it that way.

These are pretty cool looking. I"m curious what the testing as looked like and the longevity.

Yes, and "chemical welds" have gone mostly the way of the dodo in the cycling world. Early carbon/aluminum and carbon/titanium combination road bikes used to to be "chemically bonded" but because of the properties of the two materials being so dissimilar(flex memory) over time they became noodly and the bonds began to fail. I'm sure there are better glues and epoxies used these days, but that would scare the crap out of me glued metal joints that flex fail eventually.
It looks like there is a roll pin through the step and tube as a back up for the glue...

TethrdOneStick8.jpg

I know there are many Tethrd haters here, but can we just acknowledge their innovation? I am thoroughly impressed. I can remember back to a couple of years ago when everything was a DIY, no platforms, no ultralight sticks, nothing. Now, the market is being flooded and it's pushing the innovation. I haven't seen a stick like these yet. They aren't copying another design. They're creating something that, imo, is almost impossible to DIY. I like it.

Kudo's to you guys at Tethrd. Keep it up!

I know there are many Tethrd haters here, but can we just acknowledge their innovation? I am thoroughly impressed. I can remember back to a couple of years ago when everything was a DIY, no platforms, no ultralight sticks, nothing. Now, the market is being flooded and it's pushing the innovation. I haven't seen a stick like these yet. They aren't copying another design. They're creating something that, imo, is almost impossible to DIY. I like it.

Daniel there was some DIY sticks on here probably 2 years ago of this design. It is a fantastic design, great weight, should be very strong and durable.

I think they knocked it out of the park.

See you in a tree, Ricky

If it comes with a cam cleat and two step webbing aider it will be perfect for one sticking. I do wonder if it will be far enough from the tree to be comfortable
It would be half the weight of the one I use now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder if a small grade 8 (or higher) bolt would be better instead of the roll pin? I did just read some interesting stuff where titanium contacting aluminum can cause the aluminum to corrode. I hope that isn't a factor here (or is very mild if it is).

If it comes with a cam cleat and two step webbing aider it will be perfect for one sticking. I do wonder if it will be far enough from the tree to be comfortable
It would be half the weight of the one I use now

I'm betting if they have a cam cleat option in mind, it'll have a much bigger step on the top, of similar construction to the standoff. And since you only need one, it'll be closer to $199.

I wonder if a small grade 8 (or higher) bolt would be better instead of the roll pin? I did just read some interesting stuff where titanium contacting aluminum can cause the aluminum to corrode. I hope that isn't a factor here (or is very mild if it is).
What if the roll pin is grade 8 or stronger?

You can get corrosion but it can be mitigated with a coating between the metals

@DanielB89 - So true!

Tethrd is innovating, prototyping, testing thoroughly, refining features based on trusted input from real saddle hunters, and conducting safety testing to ensure their stuff is up to the task. And when they're satisfied that they've got something different or better than what's already out there, something that's not just another "me too" product, they're bringing it to market. They did this with the Mantis, the Predator, the Phantom, and now the Tethrd One climbing stick. They're designing and making the gear that a lot of guys really want. They've been so successful that they can hardly keep up with demand for a lot of their products.

I'm not affiliated with any companies in the hunting or outdoor industries. I've purchased gear from a lot of other companies that offer outdoor gear and saddle hunting equipment and I think other companies have some great gear that I'm proud to own - the same way I feel about my favorite pieces of gear from Tethrd.

I'm grateful for the Tethrd crew and all the innovation, energy, and enthusiasm they bring to the saddle hunting community. They demonstrate, teach, train, and put out enjoyable & entertaining content too - stuff that inspires me to get outdoors to pursue new game on new horizons. And if you haven't visited their website lately, give it a good look today ... they just added several new pieces of gear ... they are rounding out their product line. Their offerings just keep getting better.

@g2outdoors @Erniepower - X2 on the Kudos to the Tethrd crew. I salute you. Keep up the great work!

@DanielB89 - So true!

Tethrd is innovating, prototyping, testing thoroughly, refining features based on trusted input from real saddle hunters, and conducting safety testing to ensure their stuff is up to the task. And when they're satisfied that they've got something different or better than what's already out there, something that's not just another "me too" product, they're bringing it to market. They did this with the Mantis, the Predator, the Phantom, and now the Tethrd One climbing stick. They're designing and making the gear that a lot of guys really want. They've been so successful that they can hardly keep up with demand for a lot of their products.

I'm not affiliated with any companies in the hunting or outdoor industries. I've purchased gear from a lot of other companies that offer outdoor gear and saddle hunting equipment and I think other companies have some great gear that I'm proud to own - the same way I feel about my favorite pieces of gear from Tethrd.

I'm grateful for the Tethrd crew and all the innovation, energy, and enthusiasm they bring to the saddle hunting community. They demonstrate, teach, train, and put out enjoyable & entertaining content too - stuff that inspires me to get outdoors to pursue new game on new horizons. And if you haven't visited their website lately, give it a good look today ... they just added several new pieces of gear ... they are rounding out their product line. Their offerings just keep getting better.

@g2outdoors @Erniepower - X2 on the Kudos to the Tethrd crew. I salute you. Keep up the great work!

Agreed....except something similar has been seen before. It doesn't matter to me, but I wanted to give Sandor27 a nod.

Last edited:
Daniel there was some DIY sticks on here probably 2 years ago of this design. It is a fantastic design, great weight, should be very strong and durable.

I think they knocked it out of the park.

See you in a tree, Ricky

Ricky, I guess I missed those sticks. Do you happen to have a link to that thread or have any idea what it could be?

Agreed....except something similar has been seen before. It doesn't matter to me, but I wanted to give Sandor27 a nod.

I do remember those now. I do appreciate taking the time to post the thread too! That is AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back