• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What did you learn this year hunting

MattMan81

SH Member
Here a few things I learned this year. Feel free to add comment or add your own.

1. I learned to stop over thinking it. After reading what a lot of you guys have said on here about deer being smart, but not that smart, I gave in and applied it.
2. I stopped being so worried about bumping a deer or them hearing / seeing me. It still cross my mind some. But just have to take the chance. It means there in that area and traveling that way. There is probably more than. 1 in the area.
3. Blood tracking dogs are amazing. Don't be afraid to call one.
4. The saddle is a great tool. It's not a tree stand, and a stand is not a saddle. I wish I would have held onto the couple of tree stands I had to place in a few specific locations.
Hope to learn some more before the season ends.

I’ve learned that I’m not necessarily bad at getting on deer, I’m just not hunting ideal habitat. Two trips out of state taught me that

I’ve learned I should hunt less restrictive places, have passed on too many bucks I’d be happy to shoot on my lease

Ive learned that I love my using primal steps to climb, even on pine trees

and finally I’ve learned that I REALLY need a 3D printer to make all the saddle hunting accessories I want

1. I need to be quicker to move on from a bad spot. If I scout a few days on a WMA and only see 1 or 2 deer and never find an area with a lot of sign (a random walk would have found some at that point), then the place doesn't have many deer and I should probably move on and not spend weeks trying to find that golden spot that probably doesn't exist.
2. The combo of people baiting for deer and poaching makes most smaller WMAs in rural areas of WV unhuntable for mature bucks. Also, areas where people live interspersed within the larger national forest are similar. I talked for an hour with a self-admitted poacher that confirmed this (and that there is no fear of getting caught). Maybe he was trying to justify what he does, but basically everyone in that area shoots deer all year for lack of something better to do. He tried to act like a good poacher because he only does it for meat and takes does and not bucks and he uses all the meat.
3. During the rut, I need to be more willing to hunt areas where bucks would cruise even if there is not much sign there (but there are does) and even if it is somewhere they wouldn't be outside of the rut (main logging road trail or in the open on a field edge at noon).

1. Same as @MattMan81 I have always told myself not to over think it, this year I applied it, stayed patient, and had a great season so far.
2. Be patient, if everything tells you that big buck is there, he is, he just has to make a mistake.
3. DON'T RELY ON TRAIL CAMERAS! Deer shift their patterns constantly, especially a mature buck. Runs get tired fast and he may start using the one 30 yards away, thus avoiding your camera and making you second guess your spot.
4. STAY MOBILE! Make small moves until you are in em, once there, hunt tactfully.
5. Things change in minutes, and deer are very tolerant, especially during the rut, don't let a doe blowing discourage you. I watched 2 does blow at each other 3 year while a bachelor group of 3 paid them no attention and continued their normal route at a lazy and less than methodical pace.
6. Focus on yourself. It is nice to help friends and family get deer, but don't over do it. I jumped through hoops for years helping friends find good spots just to find myself lost when the season hits. Put enough time and effort in for yourself as well and don't let friends intrude your good stand locations.

I could go all day, we learn so much every year, but I need to get to work!

This being my first year of archery hunting, what I've learned this year both through research and reading, plus what I've learned in the woods could fill a book.

The main thing I feel that I've learned is that I enjoy archery hunting for deer much more than rifle hunting.

Learnt after 2yr I still havnt found a good way to pack my blackrack in ,I got paracord tied to each one about 18"long tied to biner I wrap cord around them then clip as many loops as I can and clip on saddle,.it works but that's about it lol

One of @John Eberhart videos talked about non drowsy allergy medicine to keep your nose from running and eyes from watering when it's cold out. I bought some just waiting for those cold day hunts now.

One of @John Eberhart videos talked about non drowsy allergy medicine to keep your nose from running and eyes from watering when it's cold out. I bought some just waiting for those cold day hunts now.

Good idea. I saw in a video someone coughing into a towel. I've posted this here before, but I now always carry a plush hand towel. If you double it over and cough or sneeze with it pressed to your face, then it almost totally muffles it. I get wicked post nasal drip once the cold makes my nose start running and that makes me cough.

I think i learn... there i go thinking again.

Patience is key. That can be hard to remember when ****s not going your way.

Knowing when to move, staying mobile, or not getting complacent. Don't rely on historic sign like movement and deer sightings from years prior, or trail cam photos.

Try something new, go to a new spot, it keeps things fun, and sometimes you find some real hot spots.

Uninsulated boots and light weight socks keep my feet warmer in cold weather. Less sweating on the walk in means much warmer feet when your standing or sitting on stand for hours.

Don't tell the Mrs, but sometimes family and friends are more important than deer season... sometimes.

Like all other sports, the real winner is the one that has the most fun. And sometimes fun is miserable, but if we all stay safe, the misery is a fun story to tell.

Lastly. I. Hate. Poison. Ivy.

I’ve actually gotten to hunt more this season than in the past. I’ve found that my H2 is starting to almost mold to the shape of me and is getting even more comfortable. Though I do want to try a two piece design.
I’m almost as much or more of a leaner than a sitter once I got the angled scout on a shikar mini. I may have a ridge runner for sale soon.
I don’t like 5 step etriers. It works but I feel like it’s one bad morning from a slip up. I may do a 3 step ladder style or may give in to the tethrd one sticks before next season.
I’ll still always rappel down. That was a great decision to try.
Didn’t get a deer but passed some does and had a bad hit on a small 8pt. Getting out more gave me that fire again for next year. And some second season here in PA. Plan to do more scouting and exploring new areas for next year.

Scout, scout, and when your done scouting go scout some more. Putting in the hours prior to season or hunting an area after fresh snow shows those travel patterns. I scouted a Sunday, went back into the area after a fresh snow on Tuesday and did a quick adjustment and moved approximately 50 yards from my original choice of location and had deer on me very soon after. Took a beautiful doe that night!
4c00bb5278b3d6ba4ce395aa0b2310a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not something that I necessarily learned this season but something that was again found to be invaluable. Growing up my pops used to keep a journal of his hunts and scouting, I never thought much of it until later. A couple yrs ago I began starting a note book but of small reminders for lack of better words. Things such as: Check the leeward side of a ridge for sign even it is not the south facing slope or If the wind is not right, make a move (a 100yds can be a whole different hunt). Some are property specific but I find myself referencing that small brown book more and more as it grows. You would be amazed at all the little things you had picked up in passed yrs and had forgotten about with the hustle of everyday life. I like that it pushes myself to break down/analyze each trip in the timber, plus gives me something to do on long sits.

One of them little notes just so happen to help me to take a very nice mtn buck recently.

Last edited:
I learned to bring your saddle with you to the tree you plan on saddle hunting out of.
If you have extra gear like rope and carabiners, put them in the truck in case you lose a rope.
Milkweed is awesome.
There is great pack make for a mobile hunter.
Climbing sticks are like phones. Get the newest and greatest one, 2 months later it’s out of date.

Back