• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Reliable weather apps?

bigcat93

SH Member
Anyone use any specific apps that they trust while being out in the field for weather or even for checking pre-hunt before they head to their spot??

I use the NOAA app. I have it set up to get rain/severe weather alerts in strategic local areas so I get a heads up if I'm about to get wet or lit up by lightning.

I trust radar more than forecasts

I really like windy.com and its app. It has the forecast based on three major weather models so you can click thru all three to see how they may differ. I used the paid version $20/year because I also have property on the water that is prone to some nor'easter damage. The app does help the damage but it help me prepare. The subscription gives you hourly forecast instead of 3 hours. The subscription allows up to six users when you enable the family option.

weather underground
X2, I usually check winds with windfinder. They’re both close but the directions seem slightly more accurate on windfinder. Going to mess around with the other ones on here though, good thread.

I like weather.gov and I also like to read the forecast discussion and graphical hourly forecast because I like to visualize it that way. And they don't have four bazillion ads on every page and constantly changing interface like all the commercial sites do.

For the maps I like Windy, as stated above toggling the ECMWF, NAM, and GFS models.

If you approach it that way you'll quickly see it's way more valuable to know the potential variations than looking at one source.

Here's a trick that seems to work.

Check multiple places (weather underground, weather.com, accuweather, etc). If they all agree on the forecast, then my confidence in it goes up.

Some places obviously use the same or very similar models/prediction services. You'll see that trend and which ones are different. For instance, weather.com and accuweather are not a complete match. Weather underground is usually very close to one of them (can't remember which one now, I use weather underground because I like their layout). If 2 different models give the same prediction, then there is a reason to trust that a bit more (it is called an ensemble method in data science). So, I'm just doing that a bit.

I don't do this all the time, but it helps when planning a few days out based upon weather is important (like deciding whether to take Friday or Monday off from work to hunt).

Here's a trick that seems to work.

Check multiple places (weather underground, weather.com, accuweather, etc). If they all agree on the forecast, then my confidence in it goes up.

Some places obviously use the same or very similar models/prediction services. You'll see that trend and which ones are different. For instance, weather.com and accuweather are not a complete match. Weather underground is usually very close to one of them (can't remember which one now, I use weather underground because I like their layout). If 2 different models give the same prediction, then there is a reason to trust that a bit more (it is called an ensemble method in data science). So, I'm just doing that a bit.

I don't do this all the time, but it helps when planning a few days out based upon weather is important (like deciding whether to take Friday or Monday off from work to hunt).
Windy.com shows 4 different sources (click on "compare") so you can see all at once the sources that many weather apps use.
Windy has a bunch of sub categories that can show/predict things like cloud cover which can be huge towards predicting thermal effects on wind.
You can also switch the maps from topo, to satellite which is nice. The topo can really help visualize how terrain will influence wind patterns.
I like Weather Underground too.

Windy.com shows 4 different sources (click on "compare") so you can see all at once the sources that many weather apps use.
Windy has a bunch of sub categories that can show/predict things like cloud cover which can be huge towards predicting thermal effects on wind.
You can also switch the maps from topo, to satellite which is nice. The topo can really help visualize how terrain will influence wind patterns.
I like Weather Underground too.

Nice! I'll definitely be using that then.

Anyone use any specific apps that they trust while being out in the field for weather or even for checking pre-hunt before they head to their spot??
I’m not so sure it’s as much about quality as quantity. I use multiple apps and compare them to try and divine the real answer. A man with two watches has absolutely no idea what time it is. A man with one watch is certain what time it is. A man with three watches can be reasonably certain what time it is.

I’m not so sure it’s as much about quality as quantity. I use multiple apps and compare them to try and divine the real answer. A man with two watches has absolutely no idea what time it is. A man with one watch is certain what time it is. A man with three watches can be reasonably certain what time it is.
That's one of the nice things about Windy. It gives 4 forecast models from 4 sources for comparing. (EDIT: it now gives 5 models).
Very seldom is there a difference in prevailing wind forecasts when comparing the 5 wind forecasts. They usually match each other within a few degrees.
That's one of the predictions that meteorologists are normally accurate. Surface wind, on the other hand, can't be reasonably predicted by meteorologists because its so complex and dynamic. Its our job to learn how our local terrain and structure will dictate surface behavior.

Last edited:
Due to the poor accuracy of every app available (tried ALL of them) and useless local news geeks, I switched back to the old reliable weather rock last fall. Never lies and 100% accurate! It's wet when raining, cold to the touch in cold days, warm to the touch on hot days, and if it is rolling down the yard, it's way too windy to go hunting.

Nice! I'll definitely be using that then.
I see Windy just added a 5th forecast model to the list.
Here is a screen shot of the chart in the "compare" mode.
The important details to look at are the wind direction...this is the prevailing wind, not the surface wind, (It's our job to figure out the surface behavior, no app can do that because it's too complex) and the wind speed. Notice that each model is pretty much identical to the others. The short-term forecasts of prevailing wind is usually balls-on accurate. You can verify that by matching the forecast with watching the clouds rolling across the sky. The prevailing wind forecast is seldom wrong until you get a few days out, and then it might be a little off. But if you are trying to plan which stand to hunt within a couple days, then rely on prevailing wind and learn how to apply a particular prevailing wind to how it manifests itself as surface wind in the terrain and structure that you hunt. With experience and observation using milkweed, you'll get pretty good at predicting what the actual surface behavior will be at stand locations.

Windy maps can be viewed in topographic form which shows contour lines...very helpful towards "seeing" which areas should have stable surface wind, or unstable surface wind due to the influence of the terrain. And Windy also shows maps in satellite imagery, so you can see things like tree lines which also effect surface behavior.

There are several other features that can be shown on the map, one is cloud cover percentage. Cloud cover has a big influence on thermal activity.

Windy is so visual due to it being animated. You can see H and L pressure systems and how they move across the globe. These systems are what effects the prevailing wind direction and speed. When you know prevailing wind, you can better predict surface wind.

To get to the comparison chart (on a computer), click anywhere on the map and a bar will come up showing the data you are in (wind, or temps, or barometric pressure, cloud %, etc) and there will also be a down arrow. On a phone, click on "find my location" and then the bar with the down arrow will show. Click that arrow and it will give you 1 forecast model, but at the bottom of the screen you will see "compare"...click on that to see the chart with the 5 models.

Basic Windy is free.
It's so cool, almost addictive.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 9.28.46 PM.png

The important details to look at are the wind direction...this is the prevailing wind, not the surface wind, (It's our job to figure out the surface behavior, no app can do that because it's too complex) and the wind speed. Notice that each model is pretty much identical to the others. The short-term forecasts of prevailing wind is usually balls-on accurate. You can verify that by matching the forecast with watching the clouds rolling across the sky. The prevailing wind forecast is seldom wrong until you get a few days out, and then it might be a little off. But if you are trying to plan which stand to hunt within a couple days, then rely on prevailing wind and learn how to apply a particular prevailing wind to how it manifests itself as surface wind in the terrain and structure that you hunt. With experience and observation using milkweed, you'll get pretty good at predicting what the actual surface behavior will be at stand locations.

Windy maps can be viewed in topographic form which shows contour lines...very helpful towards "seeing" which areas should have stable surface wind, or unstable surface wind due to the influence of the terrain. And Windy also shows maps in satellite imagery, so you can see things like tree lines which also effect surface behavior.

There are several other features that can be shown on the map, one is cloud cover percentage. Cloud cover has a big influence on thermal activity.

Windy is so visual due to it being animated. You can see H and L pressure systems and how they move across the globe. These systems are what effects the prevailing wind direction and speed. When you know prevailing wind, you can better predict surface wind.

To get to the comparison chart (on a computer), click anywhere on the map and a bar will come up showing the data you are in (wind, or temps, or barometric pressure, cloud %, etc) and there will also be a down arrow. On a phone, click on "find my location" and then the bar with the down arrow will show. Click that arrow and it will give you 1 forecast model, but at the bottom of the screen you will see "compare"...click on that to see the chart with the 5 models.

Basic Windy is free.

View attachment 45108

Thanks for the info.

I have one plateau I hunt that if I walk in and the wind seems EXACTLY wrong when in the valley, it actually means it will probably be perfect up top. The plateau causes a curl over, just like how coral reefs in the oceans cause barrel waves.

Basic Windy is free.

View attachment 45108
Ok, I’m going to drink the Windy KoolAide. How come I can’t find the NAM or HRRR models when I set it up?

Last edited:
Ok, I’m going to drink the Windy KoolAide. Here’s an article to help people get set up.
Thanks for that link but you want to go to Windy.com, not Windy.app.
I've used Windy for several years so I'm familiar with how to use all the bells and whistles, but that link will help newbies get started with it.
Windy, milkweed, and a dedicated odor regimen will really improve the reduction in odor busts.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m going to drink the Windy KoolAide. How come I can’t find the NAM or HRRR models when I set it up?
So, it seems that @2Sloe was having some difficulty seeing certain things on Windy. For some reason, there appears to be two different addresses for Windy. One address (the one in the links 2Sloe gave in post #18) is Windy.app and the one that I use and always refer to in these threads is Windy.com not the .app address.
You definitely want to use the .com address

Back