• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who Wants Nothing To Do With One Sticking?

BAM! I like that s-biner idea! I’m stealing that. You use the big ones?
I use the size 4, i have one that has a removed clip on it for my bow

I use the size 4, i have one that has a removed clip on it for my bow
Sweet, added two of those to my EWO order a couple of days ago. Best part is that they serve multiple purposes.

Last edited:
So I've recieved a couple messages asking about the s-biners and what they are for, so the tl/dr is that an individual on the forums was advancing their tether, using their hands, and fell trapping a hand under the tether. This broke some fingers and other hand and pride injuries

The solution to this problem is to add a set of hooks onto your tether to slide back and forth on the tether, allowing just enough slack to advance your tether, similar to the videos below. Instead of those hooks, I just use my s-biners

4 regular Beast Sticks and top step platform. Packs up flat on my pack, nice and narrow so I'm not catching on brush. One trip up the tree with the pack on my back and bow up with a rope. Should I kill a deer, I can bone it out and pack everything out, sticks included in one trip....with room for shedding layers before leaving the woods. My sticks/platform are like 8lbs total.

The dang thing is, half the time I'm only using 2-3 sticks because of the cedars/hemlocks I setup in, so most of the time the extra sticks stay on the ground.

When it comes to one sticking or srt/drt....nothing about that even remotely tickles my curiousity.

I disagree on the rappel part. I feel it’s the safest method out of a tree when done right. I personally feel a person is way more likely to miss a step or slip off a step coming down a tree in the dark than a person having a rappel mishap. I plan on rappelling no matter what climbing method I choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is exactly why my API 3 pack from Bass Pro has now become my diy 1-stick experimentation/education kit. Using the sticks with aiders was fine for me as long as I was going up, but coming down I was terrified because I had to "feel" my way back into the aiders.

Rappelling makes a huge difference. I was reluctant at first....climbing down with aiders is totally doable....I did it for multiple seasons. My friend donated enough rope to me so I gave it a shot. Regardless if I'm using a saddle or hang on, sticks or steps, rappelling out of the tree really does change how u view/plan ur elevated set ups... That tree that I may normally pass on due to it being difficult to climb up and down now looks better/easier because I know I only have a difficult time going up. 2 hunts last year I got set up only to see later I was to high in the tree to get shots at where the animals were.... easy peasy rappel down to where I get better shooting options and hook the platform back up and reset bow hanger....it felt a little funny having 8-10 foot between the tether girth hitch and my bridge but it was fine for the couple hours till dark. With my prerappel gear simple platform move like that would be kinda a pain.

At first it looked like one sticking was a lot of effort or work to get in the tree and set up, but after a couple dozen practice runs the last month or month and a half and I'm optimistic that it will be the way I hunt the majority of this fall. When its practical I will for sure pack in my summit ultimate viper due to it's crazy comfort, but one sticking will be a method I use this fall, no question.

I always think that its too much rope to worry about and too much different types of gear that can go wrong(mainly user error and my pull ropes are always bunched up the way it is lol). But i also dont feel like i need to be so high up that i can crap on a bird. If i can hunt from the ground then i should be able to be successful at 15ft. I use the height basically just for an advantage to see something coming since i try to hunt nasties most of the time. I used 2 sticks with aiders all last year and got high enough. I watch a lot of videos on it, but can't seem to get the urge to try it.

The thing that kills it for me is my first attachment I get roughly 7ft but after I can get roughly 5ft on the additional stick sets because of having to sit down in the saddle. 3 stick sets and I'm losing 6 feet. When I was still using sticks I carried 2 16" sticks and aider and could get up to my normal height 12-18ft in 2 anchor sets but 1 stick it would take 3 maybe 4 attachment to get to the same height. Since then I made my stirrups and I do essentially the same as with the 2 sticks but with soft anchor point/ foot transition.... leapfrogging up to whatever height with my rappel rope limiting the height I can go....but again, I don't climb very high.
I do something similar and like it. I didn't like loosing those 2 feet each time and so now can get to 21ft or so with only moving my stick twice after the initial set.

Don't know why peeps wanna hate on one sticking.

If it doesn't work for you don't worry about not being able to be like us cool dudes who excel at it, just use a different method of climbing and try to convince yourself that it's better than one sticking. I mean like carrying 4 or 5 sticks is way heavier. . .uhhh. . . I meant cooler than just one measly stick anyways and besides why would you want the ability to climb as high as you need without any extra gear? Another plus with your method is you can get up the tree thirteen seconds quicker. . . like duhhh, game changer!

Like Dirty Harry said "A man has got to know his limitations. . ."

TL;DR All climbing methods are just about the same when viewed in proper context. People don't typically view them in the proper context. The variable that matters most is hidden in the profile of the climber/hunter/style of hunting - not the climbing method used. Study yourself and your habits.

These conversations/debates always end up being circular. We all lack the proper context and perspective to compare with each other. This is why I always try to broaden the questions being asked.

Folks seem to hone in on one negative or positive about equipment, or conflate certain aspects with other unrelated equipment/methods.

I try to think about climbing methods the following way:

I consider all aspects of a climbing method.

- How much does it cost compared to other methods, and in the context of my own budget?
- If it has any complexity to it, or moving parts, how accessible is service and replacements?
- How much does it weigh?
- How well does it pack for scouting, hunting, packing out with deer parts added to the mix ( l like to make one trip in, one trip out when possible)?
- How much time does it take me to learn to use the equipment/method compared to other equipment/methods?
- How much risk do I incur compared to other equipment/methods, in the context of my whole hunting experience?
- How much time/effort does it take me to prepare the stuff to go hunting, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take me to walk in with the stuff, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take to unpack and prepare the stuff to start climbing, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take to climb up with the stuff, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take to prepare the stuff to start climbing down, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take to climb down with the stuff, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take to pack up the stuff to walk out, comparatively?
- How much time/effort does it take to walk out with the stuff, comparatively?
- How much time/effort/space does it take to store the stuff at home, comparatively?

If that seems insane, it is. I'm single, don't have kids, have disposable income, and like to hunt and play with hunting gear.

What I've found, is that when you do this analysis, ALL climbing methods become indecipherable from each other, with all variables held constant but the climbing method. What does change, is the weight that each individual person applies to each of the above aspects.

I'm personally happy that no one really thinks about this stuff in any great detail. Why? It's the reason we have such an awesome classifieds section. People buy stuff because one guy says one aspect of a piece of equipment makes it a game changer. 50 people buy it immediately, and then regret doing so, because they lacked the context of their own hunting situations/styles. They end up selling it at a good discount.

But here are some things that might clear up some of the conversation about using a single stick to climb:

Single stick climbing, conceptually, is different from using multiple sticks, in two ways - you only have one stick, and your feet are not on a stick when you attach the "next" stick.

Complaints about noise, complexity, etc. are absurd in my opinion. But I can see how they come up from folks who aren't thinking about the problem properly. Attaching a stick to a tree makes the same amount of noise, whether it is one stick being reused, or a second stick. If you make too much noise while repositioning the stick, it's because you're not experienced enough doing it, not flexible or strong enough to execute it, or some random thing during your climb causes it. That doesn't make one stick climbing noisy, it makes you noisy. Complaints about complexity make no sense. You're attaching a stick to a tree 2-6 times, the same as you would when you use multiple sticks. Yes, you add advancing a tether, and reaching down for a stick. Guess what? You take away the need for removing sticks if you rappel down. And even if you don't, you eliminate the noise/effort of unpacking and packing up, and climbing up and down with multiple sticks.

Much of the issues brought up regarding stability, leaning trees, risk, etc. seem to center on aiders. Guess what - you can single stick without aiders. Or shorter ones. But the issue isn't single stick climbing, it's aiders, and your relationship to them. However, if you're comparing climbing multiple sticks to a single stick, but both have, or don't have aiders, you've eliminated that variable from the picture. If you are comparing it to some completely different climbing method, all the other factors above come back into play, and the total sum difference disappears. See a trend here?

One complaint I see a lot is the time needed to become proficient with the method, compared to others. One could make the argument that folks should be spending a lot more time thinking about, practicing, and perfecting even the simplest of climbing methods. Just because you CAN be mindless about attaching multiple sticks to a tree, or using a climbing platform (that doesn't exist commercially today), doesn't mean you should. It shows a lack of understanding of risk, as well as an incomplete comparison to the other methods being considered.

Another issue that gets talked about in a weird way, is the fact that all youtube videos of climbing methods are on straight, limbless trees. People rightly intuit that climbing a leaning tree, or one with branches, is more difficult/time consuming/risky than climbing a straight one with no branches. What they get wrong is neglecting to consider that ALL climbing methods get more difficult/time consuming/risky with a leaner/branches. When you consider the delta between climbing a straight/limbless versus leaning/limbed for a single climbing method, it leaves out important context. You have to take that delta, and plug it into the multivariate analysis above. What you find is that the time/effort/risk delta is largely swallowed up by the total difference across all of those other important factors.

You can compare this to the silly heavy/light fixed/mechanical debate on arrows. Same issues.

If you're thinking about trying one stick climbing - it is going to be better or worse than what you're currently using to climb. That's a fact. However, it will likely be much less better or worse than you have in your head. Only you can determine this, and it can only be determined through a pretty thorough analysis.

If you're thinking about getting away from one stick climbing, any other method will definitely be better or worse. That's a fact. However, it will likely be much less better or worse than you have in your head. Only you can determine this, and it can only be determined through a pretty thorough analysis.

Personality, fitness, previous experience and practice will determine what you use.
I re quoted Kyle because it’s right on.

I love one sticking and rappel. but am always open to changing my method if I have time to practice.
Multiple sticks do not suit my personality. Too much to organize. Rappelling suits me because it reduces the packing up time for me. That is critical on a cold Canadian night.
@Cbigbear methods always interest me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
For me one sticking is the way to go considering that where I hunt I have to walk a good distance. So, the weight factor is a plus. Not carrying multiple sticks , a climber or hang on stand gives me more freedom in the long run. I can climb any tree to get more cover if needed. The over all foot print is much better in my opinion. I mean, either way you still have to climb and then there's the safety factor of being tied into the tree at all times. Which I like. For public land and being mobile I think it's perfect. But like some have already it's not for them. However if you are finding it hard then it's most likely your technique because I really don't find that I am spending any extra energy just hanging from the tree. And yes most people will get a huge height from the ground at first then your height may suffer a bit on the next few advancements. I can reach 20-25 feet in 4 moves which takes me about 5 minutes or less. Yes you could just SRT with the famous hip thrust, which I'm not a fan of because it's so uncomfortable for me , but I guess you could use a foot sling and a prusik to advance up the rope and do the same for coming down. I haven't tried that yet. One sticking is my preferred
method. Not to mention it's also just another tool in the toolbox.

That's why I laugh when I see people buy the crystalized coyote urine to scare away pests like deer and rabbit Certain times of the year that's an attractant and almost never a detergent.
Exactly! I love taking my dog when set for coyotes or fox. Inevitably, she finds a grass tuft, rock, stick or other part in a field corner or transition and pees there, I put a set right there. Guys used to get upset they caught a skunk and would pull the trap and all that. Nonsense, the skunk or any catch makes that set much more attractive to most coyotes. I've had some shy but then make another real subtle flat set nearby.... that will work on doubles sometimes too.

I really can't find a better balance between equipment load and a safe and efficient climbing method than one sticking at this point. For those of you concerned about it and have never tried it, I say, please give it a try before you shy away from it. I am in my early 50's and it is not strenuous and it is not difficult. I also agree about the climb back up if you have to disembark for an "emergency" bm. Climbing back up with your rappel line like SRT goes much quicker... .you will be surprised how quick you can get back up to your HH. Attachment methods are important and keep the fiddle factor down. My current one stick is a stock muddy pro I stealth stripped. I like it purely for its beefiness and obviously the cam cleat and the folding steps. I use a GM Climbing 24" rated loop with a castration band to keep it on my one stick. The loop also has the @SloMo devised and @boyne bowhunter recommended zip tie "worked into" between the webbing on the loop. Just cut the "lock" of the zip tie off and fish the narrow end into the webbing loop. Now you're aider stays open no matter what. It also stays on your stick no matter what because you cinch the castration band up to your bottom step that you simply hung the aider loop around. Simple. Typically I climb from 16 to 18' but depends on background cover etc. I'm never in the same tree usually either because whether I'm on private or public, the deer begin to pattern your preset locations over the course of the season. I like the ability to change up even on my private spots to keep 'em guessing. The saddle and the one stick help me stay stealthier regardless of where I'm hunting.

I really can't find a better balance between equipment load and a safe and efficient climbing method than one sticking at this point. For those of you concerned about it and have never tried it, I say, please give it a try before you shy away from it. I am in my early 50's and it is not strenuous and it is not difficult. I also agree about the climb back up if you have to disembark for an "emergency" bm. Climbing back up with your rappel line like SRT goes much quicker... .you will be surprised how quick you can get back up to your HH. Attachment methods are important and keep the fiddle factor down. My current one stick is a stock muddy pro I stealth stripped. I like it purely for its beefiness and obviously the cam cleat and the folding steps. I use a GM Climbing 24" rated loop with a castration band to keep it on my one stick. The loop also has the @SloMo devised and @boyne bowhunter recommended zip tie "worked into" between the webbing on the loop. Just cut the "lock" of the zip tie off and fish the narrow end into the webbing loop. Now you're aider stays open no matter what. It also stays on your stick no matter what because you cinch the castration band up to your bottom step that you simply hung the aider loop around. Simple. Typically I climb from 16 to 18' but depends on background cover etc. I'm never in the same tree usually either because whether I'm on private or public, the deer begin to pattern your preset locations over the course of the season. I like the ability to change up even on my private spots to keep 'em guessing. The saddle and the one stick help me stay stealthier regardless of where I'm hunting.

Sorry not interested at all. I will keep using my 3 beast sticks with cable aiders. Way to much opertunity to be seen or heard spending that much time out away from the tree setting and removing sticks with cam cleats. Those cam cleats snapping back together when rope is pulled makes me cringe. More opertunity for boot noises on bark. Plus what do you do with ice and sleet on trees. Sometimes the trees are like a scateboard when wet or icy. I am not walking 1-4 miles back just to blow a deer out over saving 2-3 lbs in pack weight. I will keep doing what I am doing going slow and steady up a tree quiet close to the tree the whole time. More power to you if you want to do it but no amount of cheerleading is gonna make me try it. Watched enough videos to know I want nothing to do with it.

Back