• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone hammock camp?

I came out to CO to try and gauge my fitness level. I live at about 900ft too. I climbed up to 7200 ft from about 5000 ft yesterday with my pack on (35-40lbs). Went with my 22 yr old son who has been living here for a while who was only carrying a water bottle. He goes about 6’2” and maybe a buck fifty. He enjoyed watching me suffer. I’ve got work to do.
My son would definitely enjoy watching me suffer as well.

My son sees me suffer every week coaching his sister's soccer team. I'm usually running around playing with them as the team doesn't have enough players for a full scrimmage.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

My son sees me suffer every week coaching his sister's soccer team. I'm usually running around playing with them as the team doesn't have enough players for a full scrimmage.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Oh the joys of parenthood

Hammock, rain fly, and bug net under 100.....

Come on fellow hammockers.....u guys are forgetting 1 of the best advantages in cool weather...I have yet to have condensation build up under the rain fly unlike every tent ever....

Welda, I know you have back issues. I'm still battling sciatica from last summer's injury, and it gets worse if I bend forward and sometimes it is made worse if lying on my back. In bed, I usually sleep on my sides and rotate the side I sleep on when I wake up.

Does hammock hurt your back compared to a tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag?

Like most things, I probably need to try it and see.

Welda, I know you have back issues. I'm still battling sciatica from last summer's injury, and it gets worse if I bend forward and sometimes it is made worse if lying on my back. In bed, I usually sleep on my sides and rotate the side I sleep on when I wake up.

Singing my song bro. Same issue.

If you can wait two weeks for an answer, I'll let you know how sleeping sideways in a hammock for five straight days ended up panning out.

I sleep on my back mostly in the hammock....it's different than laying in bed because it body is in a long arch. U can sleep on ur side but u kind of end up curled in a ball. I haven't had any back discomfort because of using the hammock. I usually fall asleep on my back but most mornings when I wake up I'll be on my side. I can't tell u if it's because I'm in a hammock or because I'm outside but I sleep real good when I use it (I tend to think it's because I'm outside and not so much what I'm laying on)

@raisins u can get a super cheap 1 to try it out before buying a nicer 1. Before buying the EWO I had (still have) a bunched end hammock from sportsman's guide I got for 5 dollars. I didn't use a hammock as my main camping system because I didn't have/figure out a diy, a bug net. I prefer the hammock over an air mattress in a tent. I still use that cheapo. It lives in my truck so I can take impromptu naps whenever/wherever....it also makes for good off the ground gear storage when I'm camping

I came out to CO to try and gauge my fitness level. I live at about 900ft too. I climbed up to 7200 ft from about 5000 ft yesterday with my pack on (35-40lbs). Went with my 22 yr old son who has been living here for a while who was only carrying a water bottle. He goes about 6’2” and maybe a buck fifty. He enjoyed watching me suffer. I’ve got work to do.
22 yrs old......hmmmm, make him remember that suffering thing the next time he needs some money :tearsofjoy:

Man, the Kammok Sunda and the Haven both look comfortable. I'm just not sure about the weight and packability. The Warbonnet Blackbird seems to get a lot of love on the Hammock forum and is light and packable. I know this is going to be like a saddle in that I am going to have to buy several before I know what works for me.

I love my Hennessy hammock!! Use it for rattlesnake hunting trips! Light weight and compact! Only thing I notice is I have to pee 20 times a night! Must be the pressure it puts on my body!

Back