• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Worst invasive species in North America

Because he is obviously 100% indigenous peoples man!!! I mean why else would he say We of European descent! Come on you know those Europeans be invading and taking over :sweatsmile:

lol ok sorry I couldn’t help but laugh at this being that like 65 to 70% of Americans are of European roots
Honestly, I have the biggest Neanderthal brow line you have ever seen. Sticks out like 2".

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I'm sure I can ask the interwebs and get specific data but I was more interested to here u guys opinions. IMO the fire ant is the worst. They kill anything that's in their way...insects, reptiles (think slow moving turtle), baby birds, etc,etc....and I have some sort of reaction to them sometimes that causes me to go into anaphylactic shock...but only sometimes...80% nothing out of the ordinary...but there's always that 20% that's not good...I have not figured out why sometimes it happens and sometimes not.....keeps me on my toes and watching where I'm standing..... :) Benadryl
I've seen less fire ants since the crazy ants showed up. They don't bite, but are still a pain. Had piles of dead crazy ants around the house last year. Not as many this year.

This could be broken down into two categories...
Flora invasives and fauna invasives.
I guess it depends on where in N America that you live.
Around here, for flora, I'd say Japanese Knotweed.
For fauna, it's hard to say.
We don't (YET) have hogs snakehead, jumping carp, but I assume we will someday.
The forests and streams are an absolute disaster. Vastly changed in just the last 40 years. I cant imagine how screwed up it will be in another few decades.

Zebra Muscles

Easily the lamprey would destroy Great Lakes fisheries, except lampricide.

Jury's out on the goby. SMB love to eat them, they love to eat SMB eggs.

Last edited:
I'm sure I can ask the interwebs and get specific data but I was more interested to here u guys opinions. IMO the fire ant is the worst. They kill anything that's in their way...insects, reptiles (think slow moving turtle), baby birds, etc,etc....and I have some sort of reaction to them sometimes that causes me to go into anaphylactic shock...but only sometimes...80% nothing out of the ordinary...but there's always that 20% that's not good...I have not figured out why sometimes it happens and sometimes not.....keeps me on my toes and watching where I'm standing..... :) Benadryl
I have a funny story that involves fire ants, a flip phone, and a lot of acid...maybe not the right forum for that but i hate em too!

If we're going with the definition of invasive species as the non-native organism whose sudden introduction suddenly upsets the balance of an established ecosystem... definitely white folks. After all, we brought all the other invasive species over, and do cool stuff like strip mine, clear cut, and dam rivers.

But "invasive species" usually just means "organism that we don't like, at least not anymore." Heck, coyotes are considered invasive by a lot of folks for no better reason than that they eat animals we have an interest in eating. They didn't cross an ocean or hitch-hike with us or anything.

Humans hate change in the natural world, which is perfectly understandable. We're top dog for now but we realize that any little shift in the makeup of the globe could upset that little throne. 99.9% of all species that we think have existed are extinct now. Natural selection selects in a rather brutal manner. The Bradford pear, fire ant, and wild hog are just winners like us and we resent them for it. The black rhino and a lot of megafauna are losers but we want to string them along.

We're weird.

Edit. Bah. That's political. I moderated myself before I got moderated.

I amend my actual answer to Zebra Mussles

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be broken down into two categories...
Flora invasives and fauna invasives.
I guess it depends on where in N America that you live.
Around here, for flora, I'd say Japanese Knotweed.
For fauna, it's hard to say.
We don't (YET) have hogs snakehead, jumping carp, but I assume we will someday.
The forests and streams are an absolute disaster. Vastly changed in just the last 40 years. I cant imagine how screwed up it will be in another few decades.
The ANF is staring to become over run with buck thorn and that stuff is an invasive nightmare.

How about those bugs that killed / are killing all the ash trees? I think there will soon be no more ash trees at all. Doesn't seem to be anything that could be done about it.

Like OJ? Like it sooner rather than later.

Asian citrus psyllid

If we're going with the definition of invasive species as the non-native organism whose sudden introduction suddenly upsets the balance of an established ecosystem... definitely white folks. After all, we brought all the other invasive species over, and do cool stuff like strip mine, clear cut, and dam rivers.

But "invasive species" usually just means "organism that we don't like, at least not anymore." Heck, coyotes are considered invasive by a lot of folks for no better reason than that they eat animals we have an interest in eating. They didn't cross an ocean or hitch-hike with us or anything.

Humans hate change in the natural world, which is perfectly understandable. We're top dog for now but we realize that any little shift in the makeup of the globe could upset that little throne. 99.9% of all species that we think have existed are extinct now. Natural selection selects in a rather brutal manner. The Bradford pear, fire ant, and wild hog are just winners like us and we resent them for it. The black rhino and a lot of megafauna are losers but we want to string them along.

We're weird.
Good example of that is Red Fox. It's not native in most of it's current range. They aren't nearly as bad here in the states in most areas as they are in Australia. Course everyone now mourns their now limited numbers thanks to disease and coyotes. Course everyone hates the coyotes now.

We're weird.
Hogs are the one invasive species I hope sticks around…

Back