• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Worst invasive species in North America

F Benadryl
Best get you an epic pen! Anaphylactic shock ain’t no joke. I’m allergic to a lot of things. Hell McDonald’s has put me in the hospital twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who can afford one of those these days?

Ring Neck Pheasants?
That's funny. I believe salmon are not native to the great lakes either. But generate big $$$ for the DNR. Same with pheasants, I think someone said red foxes, and few others that generate profit for the states.

Invasive species occur outside of their native range and cause some sort of harm to their new habitat. Not all non-native species are considered invasive, at least generally. Those that stick around long enough to become a part of the new environment, they're naturalized. Example: largemouth bass aren't native here (Maryland) but they've been around so long... Fun fact, they're also considered one of the biggest threats to aquatic habitats in summer places.

Very interesting question and I think it all depends on perspective. I don't know much on the flora aspect of it all, but wild hogs cause a heck of a lot of damage. I'm a Maryland boy and I'm really concerned with Northern snakehead and blue catfish...

Doing some research for a hunt on an island that has a non native species of deer I read something that this reminded me of. We have an island with sambar deer. A couple years ago during a hurricane some of the deer made it to the mainland. A bull/stag/buck/whatever was hit by a car.....can u believe that. Imagine the story that person has......there I was....driving to go help with hurricane clean up. Hub high water on the road, dodging downed trees, and wham....nailed an 800 pounder... hopefully they aren't in a wheelchair. How crazy would it be if they somehow established a breeding population off the island.....everybody's headed to fla panhandle for some southern swamp elk

Last edited:
Why? OP asked for the "worst and most destructive invasive species." "Worst" is a subjective word, but "most destructive" is fairly objective. How much biodiversity to you see in the typical wheat field or city block? We're quite destructive. And we're definitely invasive. We showed up suddenly by boat, which is kinda how most of the other "invasives" got here. We displaced our native equivalent...

The shoe fits extremely well.
...if you want to go further with your point about moat invasives getting here by boat... you can also pin the existence of boats on us...u could argue were the worst invasive species because were responsible for all the others... cuz technically if they made it here of their own accord, theyre not invasive

...if you want to go further with your point about moat invasives getting here by boat... you can also pin the existence of boats on us...u could argue were the worst invasive species because were responsible for all the others... cuz technically if they made it here of their own accord, theyre not invasive
Like humans are the only thing that can go long distances floating on wood....

Pretty sure the armadillo is an example of an animal that was not native to the US but just slowly worked it's way up from central America and now they here to stay.
They can be destructive and have u think the biggest deer in the whole woods is coming ur way but all in all I don't mind them. I know bears and vehicles are predator to them but I'm not sure if coyote or panther prey on the or not

I'd say we're a good example of Dennet's cranes. Organisms have been capable of sloooowwwwly crossing oceans before with very low success rates for eons. Then along comes homo sapiens and suddenly there's an exponential explosion in the amount of creatures successfully migrating to new areas.

That's funny. I believe salmon are not native to the great lakes either. But generate big $$$ for the DNR. Same with pheasants, I think someone said red foxes, and few others that generate profit for the states.
I kind of meant it as sad. When I was young, they were everywhere in PA and great to hunt. They disappeared to where the game commission now has to raise and release them and charge an extra license fee. Just like catching hatchery trout in PA. Sad..

I'd say we're a good example of Dennet's cranes. Organisms have been capable of sloooowwwwly crossing oceans before with very low success rates for eons. Then along comes homo sapiens and suddenly there's an exponential explosion in the amount of creatures successfully migrating to new areas.

U ok today nutty?

Reading this thread I don't think many people understand the difference between non-native and invasive.
i think most people are thinking "non-native invasives" which is usually a bigger problem than just invasives

some non-native species arent an issue but we rarely hear about those. Instead its phragmites and asian carp, blah blah. Kinda like why they only care about the bad stuff on the news. A good example of non-native that MD loves is the Sika Deer. They get a warm welcome and dont really do too much harm that im aware of, good at "stayin in their lane" (which ironically is phrag). Snakeheads are put in check enough by fisherman/ bow fisherman that i dont think theyre too out of hand yet, mainly b/c they taste good.

Back