• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY umbrella

I laughed out loud the first time I heard a hunter mention a tree umbrella. Then I used one and always have one in truck ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If its who Im thinking that may be partly becuase of his accent "umbrell- ah"

Go out today and completely soak your bow string and then take one shot and report back on where that arrow hit.
:) (I was being sarcastic to clarify) That might break something.. it's 17deg. Out there right now. So ice might cause some issues. Plus that your assuming I'm a good shot to begin with. And I don't mind hunting in a box blind either. I am contemplating building one.
But for $30 I might be purchasing one of those as well. Since I am a wimp, not a hard core hunter, and don't hunt in the rain much.
Just to clarify.

:) (I was being sarcastic to clarify) That might break something.. it's 17deg. Out there right now. So ice might cause some issues. Plus that your assuming I'm a good shot to begin with. And I don't mind hunting in a box blind either. I am contemplating building one.
But for $30 I might be purchasing one of those as well. Since I am a wimp, not a hard core hunter, and don't hunt in the rain much.
Just to clarify.

:tearsofjoy:If you're a die hard saddle hunter then you know if you're hunting in a steady rain for any length of time there's no way to stop that constant drip off your bridge connection into your lap. Being primarily a sitter in the saddle I need to develop a DIY lap shield. :tearsofjoy:

:tearsofjoy:If you're a die hard saddle hunter then you know if you're hunting in a steady rain for any length of time there's no way to stop that constant drip off your bridge connection into your lap. Being primarily a sitter in the saddle I need to develop a DIY lap shield. :tearsofjoy:
You have to get that umbrella tied around the tree above your connection to the tree.

What about using a rubber washer on your tether? My kayak paddle Has a rubber washer like guard that slows the drips back to your hands. Maybe one of those on the rope?

Go out today and completely soak your bow string and then take one shot and report back on where that arrow hit.
Thanks for bring that up. I hunted with a recurve for 28 years and never noticed any change. But I keep my string waxed. Now I am shooting a Mini I need to do the same.

What about using a rubber washer on your tether? My kayak paddle Has a rubber washer like guard that slows the drips back to your hands. Maybe one of those on the rope?
I've tried everything I can think of . . . washers, knots, zip ties, etc. I can slow it but once the tree trunk is soaked and water is running down it I can't stop it.
You have to get that umbrella tied around the tree above your connection to the tree.
I always tie the umbrella above the tether. Once the umbrella ties saturate (and they're not that heavy) the water continues to flow down the trunk. At the tether it most all transitions and flows down the tether line then drips off the low point at my bridge carabiner right onto my thighs. Is it going to cause me any real problem . . . no. It does annoy me to no end though. :(

Last edited:
I've tried everything I can think of . . . washers, knots, zip ties, etc. I can slow it but once the tree trunk is soaked and water is running down it I can't stop it.

I always tie the umbrella above the tether. Once the umbrella ties saturate (and they're not that heavy) the water continues to flow down the trunk. At the tether it most all transitions and flows down the tether line then drips off the low point at my bridge carabiner right onto my thighs. Is it going to cause me any real problem . . . no. It does annoy me to no end though. :(
makes sense. Need a very short tether on the back side of the tree. I'm thinking something like a hard wire pulled tight around the rope (heavy duty bread twist tie) with a short section for the water to follow. You've probably already tried that as well.

I won't lie, when it's raining I use my climber :)

Actually.....I get caught out there in the rain a lot and if u do this, u loose the drip...it will still eventually soak thru but I've been in a bad thunderstorm for an hour if heavy rain....u need a poncho some string and a wide brim rain hat....out the poncho on to were the side arm button are in line with ur bridge....I tuck the hood back into itself....snap up the buttons capturing ur tether....u can just squeeze from inside with ur hand to make the cinch to keep the water out but a small piece of wire tie holds good....sit and put the poncho between ur knees and the trunk...it's like a little cocoon. Tie some string to ur tether really tight right above where the poncho and tether touch making a drip line...works real good...hang ur bow or gun off ur saddle directly under u and if the winds not blowing to hard ur weapon will stay dry too...I prefer to be on the ground by the time it's raining hard but sometimes they blow in so fast I don't have time to get down so I'll go cocoon mode and stay pretty dang dry....

I actually stay pretty dry under the umbrella, less the tether drip, but you may be on to something there. The drip is the result of the tether loop absorbing water that's running down the tree and funneling it down into my lap. If I could come up with a waterproof shield to fold over the tether and lay between it and the tree maybe I could keep the tether drier where its wrapped. The water would drip off of the cover and not be funneled into my lap. I've always just tired to create a method to re-direct the drip. Maybe I should be trying harder to keep the tether dry. Hmmm something to think about . . . Thanks @Weldabeast!

For $25 I doubt you can beat this with a DIY solution. I been using one for better than 15 years. In all fairness I have two (always need a backup) but both still work just fine. I have two different camo patterns and use one in early season (green) and one later (brown).

It packs down really small, compresses to about 1.5" in diameter by 2' long. Mounts easily to the tree and keeps me dry in the saddle (did in the climber too).

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/what’s-your-rain-solution.44500/post-608289

Boyne, how can I attach this to my bucket?

If you are worried about screwing the umbrella into three tree on public land, couldn't you just strap a woodblock to the tree with an OCB and screw the umbrella into the block?

You could pre drill the hole in the block too so that it would deploy quickly. Just an idea...

almost all of the tree umbrellas are the same design, maybe from the same factory

the screw into the tree and other parts are not very rugged or easy to use

i've thought for a while that if someone put their mind to it they could use a better screw and some pvc or other material and an el cheapo umbrella and make something better

covid lockdown and working from home has really hurt my motivation in life (not an excuse...it's my own weakness to overcome)....but i'd like to try my hand at something like this and maybe report back

I actually stay pretty dry under the umbrella, less the tether drip, but you may be on to something there. The drip is the result of the tether loop absorbing water that's running down the tree and funneling it down into my lap. If I could come up with a waterproof shield to fold over the tether and lay between it and the tree maybe I could keep the tether drier where its wrapped. The water would drip off of the cover and not be funneled into my lap. I've always just tired to create a method to re-direct the drip. Maybe I should be trying harder to keep the tether dry. Hmmm something to think about . . . Thanks @Weldabeast!
What about cutting a roll of saran wrap on a ban saw into 1.5-2" pieces that you could throw in a pocket. Then just wrap the tether down to your connection point.

Story of my life.been contemplating a waterproof cam saddle apron for under the rain coat to cover your lap.maybe knee cushion at the end and pockets

Last edited:
Back