• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Jacket choices

U can find heavyweight wool trenchcoats for under 100bucka all day long. Maybe just really heavy carry weight isn't desirable?
Depends on how warm it is I guess. I think my pack is actually lighter in colder weather, I wear more of the stuff in. It seems like it'd be nice and easy to put on in the tree too. No messing around trying to tuck in the saddle or adjusting the waist belt

You know fellas, old creeper trench coat might help with the pocket situation too.

I mostly was thinking a long to super long coat like trench coat because I have a heck of a time layering for cold weather. I go in practically shirtless in the 30s, maybe high 20s and I'm too warm if my bottoms have any chance of keeping me warm enough while still. I'm sure better gear would help, but the coat seems like a good option. Medium stuff in, hopefully the coat maybe another layer get me through. We don't have winters like some places but 20s aren't unusual especially for lows ( mid lower peninsula MI)

I'm on the lookout for good surplus options....I have all the inner layers already but lacking a good outer layer in the system. Not having the ride up the back jacket issue seems like a good deal to me. It doesn't have to be the warmest thing since it doesn't get too cold here and I relying on inner layers for warmth...

Has anybody mentioned the Scentlok saddle suit? It’s made for saddle hunters designed by the chuck Norris of saddle hunting, John Eberhart

Reactions: CP3
Silly question but wouldn't a trenchcoat work really well for saddle hunting? Leave the center buttons unbuttoned and ur bridge could come out from the inside and the long tails cover ur butt and thighs if seated in the saddle
Let me know how that works out for ya.
I guess most saddle hunters have a bit of Inspector Gadget in them.

Has anybody mentioned the Scentlok saddle suit? It’s made for saddle hunters designed by the chuck Norris of saddle hunting, John Eberhart
I kinda want to try it. But some have had unfavorable reviews.

I kinda want to try it. But some have had unfavorable reviews.

I don't have the John E. suit. But in 30deg and 14mph winds, my hands were unusable in short time in a Scentlok Revenant suit. And it's a good piece of kit. It'll cook you on the way in.

My hands have been cold in the Fanatic jacket w/ hand warmers as well.

Someone must have the solution to this...

Came across that the other day. I'd never heard of that brand, nor seen a jacket with provisions for the bridge

I don't have the John E. suit. But in 30deg and 14mph winds, my hands were unusable in short time in a Scentlok Revenant suit. And it's a good piece of kit. It'll cook you on the way in.

U haven't tried muff?....my hands get cold easily also and already have fingertip sensitivity problems anyway from all the burns/cuts and smashings with hammers over the years
On windy cold days I take the hand muff with a couple hot hands in the little storage compartment,wool fingerless gloves, and early season quick dry liner gloves.

if it’s 20+degrees I literally wear only a base layer till I get up the tree. I freeze lol. Then dress when my heart rate slows

I also use a hand muff from cabelas and my hands don’t get cold. The only down side is it’s an extra thing to carry.

if it’s 20+degrees I literally wear only a base layer till I get up the tree. I freeze lol. Then dress when my heart rate slows

I do the same (It helps a ton doesn't it). My comment was more to give credit to the Revenant as a warm coat.

I really think any warm coat with quiet material is a cold weather "saddle hunting jacket". When temps plummet, I'm thinking a heated muff may be the ticket to warm hands, in which case jacket layout (pockets) doesn't really matter all that much.

I also use a hand muff from cabelas and my hands don’t get cold. The only down side is it’s an extra thing to carry.

I appreciate the Fanatic's design which should eliminate the need for one of those, but it's just proven to not quite be enough. The kangaroo pocket is pretty good around 30deg with a hand warmer, but I hunt much colder weather often enough that it's not a perfect solution. I was surprised how cold my hands got in the Revenant pockets. On the body, it's close to as warm as the Fanatic.

I was gifted a heated hand muff but haven't brought it afield because, as you said, it's an extra thing. But dang, I could barely pack my gear up the other day my hands were near froze. Guess I'll giver er a try.

I’m really liking the new kuiu proximity jacket. Long back and pockets are in the sides of the jacket. Very warm. I can wear a lightweight merino and jacket and I’m good into the low 30s

I’m really liking the new kuiu proximity jacket. Long back and pockets are in the sides of the jacket. Very warm. I can wear a lightweight merino and jacket and I’m good into the low 30s

Do you tuck the jacket into your saddle, or does the coattail drape over the back?

Another vote for the hand muff. I throw a hand-warmer in when it gets really cold. When you attached the tether to your bridge make sure your muff is under your bridge.

Back