• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Jacket choices

Todd Brown

Hunting this week in the severe cold I took my Sitka Fanatic jacket. What i noticed was that there was that there was no place put my hands in pockets. The kangaroo pocket on that jacket is impossible to comfortably place you hands in.

Experinced saddle hunters, what is a good pocket configuration for those cold days? Brands are fine, but mostly want to know what placement works best.

With the stratus set I keep my hands in the bib pockets on the legs

Does 4 seasons make me an “experienced” saddle hunter? Lol probably not but I’ll offer 2¢. I have a GameHide parka that I really like, zips both ways for my bridge and has actual hand-warmer pockets under the normal pockets. Downside is that it is a little in my bridge’s way or I have to be colder by unzipping bottom more. I have started wearing a carharrt underneath and that seems to allow access to bridge without so much draft. More layers though.
I just put a request in with the Elves for another GameHide “jacket” as opposed to parka, with a two-layer system built in. My parka is blaze camo, so I’ll still wear that for a lot of hunts, but I wanted something camo that might not be as lengthy as a parka at the top and bottom cuffing.

Most of my jackets I can pull forward enough to get my hands into the pockets under the lower bridge loops if I'm leaning forward (my preferred position). If I'm leaning back I can almost always get my hands into those same pockets over the upper bridge loops. That said, if its really cold I carry a hand muff. Best way I've found to deploy it in the saddle is to not wrap the strap around my waist but to simply hook the strap over my bridge and let it dangle at normal hand height. I think I got this method for hand muff attachment from @always89y .

That said, if its really cold I carry a hand muff. Best way I've found to deploy it in the saddle is to not wrap the strap around my waist but to simply hook the strap over my bridge and let it dangle at normal hand height. I think I got this method for hand muff attachment from @always89y .
OMFG you just changed my life.

This and the pants are incredible. With zips on both sides, you can get your hands in/out easier.

I wore the fanatic jacket last week when it was 20 degrees out and had no issues getting my hands in/out of the muff on the front. Was mostly leaning though instead of sitting

I second the XKG Anorak. I can wear that with a FL furnace and klamath down to upper teens no problem. You can tuck the back down into your saddle and then the side zips allow your bridge to pass and you have halfway decent access to the kangaroo pocket.

I usually use a muff but hang it around my neck and sometimes I use one with the strap cut off and large safety pins onto my jacket.

I attached my muff to my AGC bino pac. And yesterday I put a Zippo 12-hour hand warmer inside the muff. Nestled up in my Drey, I arranged my gear so my muff was high on my chest, just below my armpits. Worked out great.

Now I'll just have to come up with a blaze orange woobie I can attach to my Drey as an underquilt, since the fleece underquilts have gone out of production.

I typically use a muff, currently the CGM fleece lined version, but the new Silens jacket from Badlands has gotten me spoiled with the armpit/chest pockets!

On my fanatic vest, I run the waist belt (looser than normal) through the kangaroo pocket, and use it as designed. Works fine.

I realized I just started another thread about this related to firstlite sanctuary. I asked firstlite about it, and they said the following.

“This is an issue many saddle hunters describe to us from time to time, though this primarily stems from your bridge being set too high! When your saddle is set up properly, you should be able to access the kit link zip openings at the side of your Sanctuary Jacket”

what do they mean by “bridge set too high”? Too long? Tether wrapped around the tree too high? I’ve been in a saddle for many years and am not sure I get what they mean. I never have thought of my saddle being set up improperly re bridge height but if there is a way to do it better, I’m all ears.

I realized I just started another thread about this related to firstlite sanctuary. I asked firstlite about it, and they said the following.

“This is an issue many saddle hunters describe to us from time to time, though this primarily stems from your bridge being set too high! When your saddle is set up properly, you should be able to access the kit link zip openings at the side of your Sanctuary Jacket”

what do they mean by “bridge set too high”? Too long? Tether wrapped around the tree too high? I’ve been in a saddle for many years and am not sure I get what they mean. I never have thought of my saddle being set up improperly re bridge height but if there is a way to do it better, I’m all ears.

Kudos to First Lite to exclamitorily know how everyone should set their bridge :rolleyes: Sure one can adjust the tether and bridge lengths/angles to avoid interference with pockets...which may be great for cozy hands but terrible for the rest of the body.

I wear bibs and have been able to have my hands in the Fanatic kangaroo pocket (Flex saddle) and Stratus pockets (Blackbelt saddle). In the early season I used a Scentlok coat and Wood Hunting Saddle and didn't have a issue there either. I don't usually tuck my coats below the top of the saddle which helps them ride up a bit higher in front.

I can see each person being a little different with how it plays out with their preferred settings and kit.

It's my bibs pockets that are about totally obstructed and unusable for me. Wish they were lower.

Kudos to First Lite to exclamitorily know how everyone should set their bridge :rolleyes: Sure one can adjust the tether and bridge lengths/angles to avoid interference with pockets...which may be great for cozy hands but terrible for the rest of the body.
Exactly my thought. Adjust your saddle for your pockets?

Back