• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canyon Pounder, WHY?!?!

Ha! Let see; A set of moded helium sticks, a set of Beast sticks, a set of Tethrd Ones. A Phantom, Reaper and Transformer saddle. I live in an area that has almost no exposure to saddle or tree stand hunting. All this is nothing compared to my real addiction of archery.
Sheesh, I need to sell some stuff.
Don’t feel too bad I’m a sight junkie myself!!! It’s a problem!!!

I wish it was just sights. I’m a gear junky but any archery related has equal opportunity to be bought and tried. Shoot, I only have 6 different sights and 8 bows at my house. I really need to even that out…
In reality I do sell stuff to get the new items (sometimes). I’d flood the classifieds here if I was too cheap to pay. I’m rambling but that’s due to the lack of bodily fluids trying to buy this stupid sight.

Last edited:
Don’t feel too bad I’m a sight junkie myself!!! It’s a problem!!!

What sorts of advancements are worth money spent? I’ve little experience in this sector.

I’ve used the $30 Truglo (Brite Site Extreme w/ tritium pin) for a long time and have no complaints. It’d be a better sight if it had two bolts instead of one and a set screw. (But, unlike what I had previously, I‘ve never had it move.)

I’ve perused archery sights from time to time but never caught fever over a new tech, although I have been impressed.

Some of the upgrades I’ve milled about:
1. Peepless sight systems (Hind Sight, Anchor Sight)
2. Sights with improved coupling ( Multi bolt / picatinny / Integrated sights )
3. Range finding sights
4. Red dot sights (ARD Ultradot Aimpoint)
5. Sights with optical enhancement
6. Sights with a long arm (increased precision?)

For my distances a tape seems unnecessary, but it’s a tech I can appreciate nonetheless.

For eastern woods hunting, is there a significant upside to a certain bow sight tech that I’m missing out on?

Not putting less into eastern hunting but I do think you can do with a bit less. The conditions, style and terrain just lend to a very different experience. I grew up in the west and hunt the west 85% of my time. I find certain technologies are definitely worth having out here. I shoot well past 100 in my practice and have taken animals out to 80. Then, as I hunt, I need equipment that with stands a hard use day.
So, if I purely an eastern hunt I would not go all crazy. I hunt whitetail about 7 days a year. I hunt elk, mulies, antelope, bear and lion close to 80 days. I don’t mind spending If the technology is worth it.

I wish it was just sights. I’m a gear junky but any archery related has equal opportunity to be bought and tried. Shoot, I only have 6 different sights and 8 bows at my house. I really need to even that out…
In reality I do sell stuff to get the new items (sometimes). I’d flood the classifieds here if I was too cheap to pay. I’m rambling but that’s due to the lack of bodily fluids trying to but this stupid sight.
Same

Well a new twist. My youngest is 8 and he is shooting in 4H. We just made the switch to left hand a week ago. 4H wants him to have a slider or 4 pins to shoot out to. 40 yards. Crazy to think a 15#, 18” draw is going to compete at 40 yards. So my new search is for an acceptable sight for him.

I wish. The Spot Hogg Fast Eddie I’m using right now might weigh double his diamond atomic. I may use a BG Pure 75 single pin I already own. It’s hard with a 10’ drop at 40 yards.
You're supposed to "realize" that after buying the new sight/testing it, not be rational now! Are we trying to justify this purchase or not lol

Well I also just sold my oldest’s bow and he needs one for elk. I need to sell some stuff quick!! I’m running out of fluids and organs! Damn it mods, let me in the classifieds!!

What if I hit them with some blue steel and promise to call after?

What sorts of advancements are worth money spent? I’ve little experience in this sector.

I’ve used the $30 Truglo (Brite Site Extreme w/ tritium pin) for a long time and have no complaints. It’d be a better sight if it had two bolts instead of one and a set screw. (But, unlike what I had previously, I‘ve never had it move.)

I’ve perused archery sights from time to time but never caught fever over a new tech, although I have been impressed.

Some of the upgrades I’ve milled about:
1. Peepless sight systems (Hind Sight, Anchor Sight)
2. Sights with improved coupling ( Multi bolt / picatinny / Integrated sights )
3. Range finding sights
4. Red dot sights (ARD Ultradot Aimpoint)
5. Sights with optical enhancement
6. Sights with a long arm (increased precision?)

For my distances a tape seems unnecessary, but it’s a tech I can appreciate nonetheless.

For eastern woods hunting, is there a significant upside to a certain bow sight tech that I’m missing out on?
If you don’t have the itch count yourself blessed. For eastern whitetails what you have is more than sufficient. My eyes suck canal water so I’m always trying to improve my sight picture and the best I’ve found now is the Garmin Xero. Love that sight and shot the best I ever have with the simple dot in the clear glass pane with a very open sight picture. I can focus on the target and the lighted dot just works. Not to mention the ability to range your target.

My issue is durability. Although I had no problems…. I was always worried about it to the point that I wasn’t confident with fronts coming in and precipitation. Hence my use of the crossbow this year the day I shot my buck. It was forecast to stop at 5am on November 12th but I didn’t trust it so I took my crossbow which had a simple red dot. I wasn’t as worried about it as itis a $100 sight not a $1000 one.

Finally, I somewhat shoot 3d but not super seriously but do shoot some local courses and so the canyon pounder is both a single pin and a multi pin system that can be used in a lot of different situations and from my understanding is built like a tank. Still cheaper than the Garmin too.

If you don’t have the itch count yourself blessed. For eastern whitetails what you have is more than sufficient. My eyes suck canal water so I’m always trying to improve my sight picture and the best I’ve found now is the Garmin Xero. Love that sight and shot the best I ever have with the simple dot in the clear glass pane with a very open sight picture. I can focus on the target and the lighted dot just works. Not to mention the ability to range your target.

My issue is durability. Although I had no problems…. I was always worried about it to the point that I wasn’t confident with fronts coming in and precipitation. Hence my use of the crossbow this year the day I shot my buck. It was forecast to stop at 5am on November 12th but I didn’t trust it so I took my crossbow which had a simple red dot. I wasn’t as worried about it as itis a $100 sight not a $1000 one.

Finally, I somewhat shoot 3d but not super seriously but do shoot some local courses and so the canyon pounder is both a single pin and a multi pin system that can be used in a lot of different situations and from my understanding is built like a tank. Still cheaper than the Garmin too.
Have you tried the UV scope?

Also did you have any trouble ranging in the woods or do you hunt fairly open areas? I've been worried about mis-ranging due to debris or sticks and such?

You should totally do it!!!
Ha, you first!!!

Have you tried the UV scope?

Also did you have any trouble ranging in the woods or do you hunt fairly open areas? I've been worried about mis-ranging due to debris or sticks and such?
I have not tried the UV scope but I do have the UV2. I know, I know...... I have a problem. Anyway, the Garmin Xero worked fine in the woods too. It has a panic mode where you just push the ranging button again and your pre set multi pins pop up from 0-the maximum range you sighted it in for. It will not allow you to range beyond your maximum ranging distance you do when set up. So for instance I set up my multipins at 15, 25 and 45 yads so three dots show up in panic mode or if I would rather shoot multiple pins instead of the ranging single pin. If that makes sense.

Last season I upgraded from a 7-pin (circa 2005) sight to a TruGlo Rover 1-pin slider. So my exposure to 'premium' sights is basically nil. But if I were looking to spend that kind of money on a sight I'd probably step up to a Garmin Xero.

Back