• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Petzl rig

Exhumis

SH Member
Has anyone tried a Petzl Rig? They advertise it as auto locking and not needing to be tied off to safely use while working. That seems like exactly what some folks here are searching for. Don’t think I’ll be using it as the rope diameter usage is limited to 10-11.5 and appears to be a rather large device but not everyone dangles from dental floss like some of us.

Has anyone tried a Petzl Rig? They advertise it as auto locking and not needing to be tied off to safely use while working. That seems like exactly what some folks here are searching for. Don’t think I’ll be using it as the rope diameter usage is limited to 10-11.5 and appears to be a rather large device but not everyone dangles from dental floss like some of us.
I have. But I use the Elderid Megawatt and it goes down to 8.9mm. It's a rope access positioning device, just like the Rig and ID.

Elderid should pay me. I've turned lots of saddle guys on to them

Attachments

• IMG_8187.jpeg
    IMG_8187.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 66
I got the grigri+, so far on C-IV, it’s pretty sweet. Using it for SRT With a CTI rolling lock. It needs load from the tail in order to engage, but then it’ll stay put.

I use it for SRT on 10.5mm Platinum quite often. It is obviously heavier and bulkier than the Safeguard and GriGri but man with that comes obvious strength and stability.

Last edited:
If you feel like watching paint dry... here is me using the Megawatt to do a rope-to-rope transfer while pruning a red maple today

Have you also used the Rig? How do they compare in size and weight? I want to possibly use smaller rope and the Megawatt checks that box.

Have you also used the Rig? How do they compare in size and weight? I want to possibly use smaller rope and the Megawatt checks that box.
Have used the Rig and the ISC D4. The Rig is lighter, but can't accommodate 8.9mm ropes (I was using 11mm Dragonfly in the video).

The Megawatt is also easier to use than both of the aforementioned devices.

Have used the Rig and the ISC D4. The Rig is lighter, but can't accommodate 8.9mm ropes (I was using 11mm Dragonfly in the video).

The Megawatt is also easier to use than both of the aforementioned devices.
See my above post.
But seriously the size restriction of the rig gave me a case of the sads.

You could always run bigger diameter rope if you want to use the Rig. I packed in 40' of 11mm rope several times this season. KMIII max is a popular rope to use with rope access descenders.

You could always run bigger diameter rope if you want to use the Rig. I packed in 40' of 11mm rope several times this season. KMIII max is a popular rope to use with rope access descenders.
I typically use the 10.5 platinum with the rig and don’t find it hard to manage at all.

EDIT: I forgot I basically said this already…

I have the ISC D4 descender and it is commercial grade and big. These devices have limitations on rope diameter but offer an excellent ride when used correctly. While packing in 8-9mm does save weight I think the ride personally sucks. I have used rappell racks, tubular devices, GrGri,Madrock and use a hybrid device exclusively now because I can climb ,sit at height and descend without any changeover on a 10.5mm-11mm line.

I have the ISC D4 descender and it is commercial grade and big. These devices have limitations on rope diameter but offer an excellent ride when used correctly. While packing in 8-9mm does save weight I think the ride personally sucks. I have used rappell racks, tubular devices, GrGri,Madrock and use a hybrid device exclusively now because I can climb ,sit at height and descend without any changeover on a 10.5mm-11mm line.
I like the D4. It doubles as a weapon since it's all steel too :)

Attachments

• IMG_8219.jpeg
    IMG_8219.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 18
I have. But I use the Elderid Megawatt and it goes down to 8.9mm. It's a rope access positioning device, just like the Rig and ID.

Elderid should pay me. I've turned lots of saddle guys on to them
Megawatt is rope access positioning device only with Type A static rope or american equivalent down to 10mm. Below that it is only rated as assisted belay device NOT safe for hands free operation.

I spoke directly with the VP of NA operations at Edelrid. He confirmed 8.9mm is appropriate for auto braking AND he uses it as such himself
Megawatt is rope access positioning device only with Type A static rope or american equivalent down to 10mm. Below that it is only rated as assisted belay device NOT safe for hands free operation.

I spoke directly with the VP of NA operations at Edelrid. He confirmed 8.9mm is appropriate for auto braking AND he uses it as such himself
Their user manual doesn't specificly say that
1704143702663.png
And later about use as per EN 15151-1 belay device the following:
1704143750439.png
Notably for work positioning there's requirement of EN 12841-A compliant backup device.

I get that this is safe and very likely safer than Safeguard, but still outside manufacturer approved use and it is misleading to imply otherwise.

No disagreement on the standards, BUT

The goal of the Megawatt was to be a multi use device. The certifications it complies with already had established standards on rope size. So when it references the standards, it's simply stating WHAT's in the standard.

Yes, EN-12841-A requires a backup, as it's a SPRAT and IRATA requirement. And that's not due to device failure. It came about (in IRATA) in the 80s due to primary rope vandalism.

The Megawatt is self braking by its very nature.

I'm a SPRAT certified tech and not blowing smoke. As a saddle hunting tool, it's the safer option compared to the ABDs

Back