• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick advice wanted

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
I'd like to buy some mid-priced sticks for what I'd describe as "semi-presets". They would be left on the tree for a few weeks or maybe a couple months at the most. I'm going to be hunting some private land and the owner doesn't want us using bolts or screw-in steps on certain trees (mostly his oaks). Which brings me to needing to preset more than one tree in certain situations. I don't need high-end sticks, I'd rather have two sets of mid-range sticks than one set of expensive sticks. I still plan to use bolts in the trees the owner will allow but I need a couple more sets in order to hunt where the sign takes me. I guess you could describe this as being semi-mobile. I hope to not have to re-set trees over and over, but if need be I will adjust my location as needed.
I'm not interested in the type of sticks that plug into each other...they are a little too bulky for what I plan to do. I also want the ability to remove individual (the bottom) sticks.

I'd completely out of the loop with what's on the market for sticks. I've pretty much used only screw-ins or bolts for the last 40+ years. I own one set of ~30 year-old LW sticks and I seldom needed them, but now, on a new property, I may need more sets.
I tried 2TC and The Sladder...neither were for me.
Any suggestions on which stick for my purpose? Should I build DIY? I would like a double step style.
Thanks.

Sounds like you will be hunting several trees a day? I can see the use of a few sticks or pre-sets...
Have you tried one sticking would be cheaper than buys a bunch of sticks.

For what you're describing, Muddy Stagger Steps are nice, we use them for exactly what you mentioned. You can find them fairly cheap if you look around and you can buy singles to customize how high you'd like to go.
They aren't the most packable and light, but they are really comfortable to climb on and you could hunt off the top if you want with a couple extra steps on a ring of steps or something.
For ease of packing, less bulk and still reasonably priced, I don't think you can go wrong with Lone Wolf aka Novix mini single or double step sticks. I have a set of the Lone Wolf sticks I cut down and have been using for years. 7/64" Daisy chain attachments make them bite the tree great and lessens the weight even more.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for double step sticks, the 4pk of Muddy Pros with rope and cam cleat were just on sale (Cabela’s I think?). I think they’re less than $200 even full price.
I don’t love double step sticks, so I would personally go with Novix. They’re not super expensive and if you already have LW it’s the exact same stick.
XOP single-step sticks are pretty great for the price too. Similar function to LW but the middle step locks the sticks together in a really cool way. They’re heavier than LW but sturdy and packable.
I also have some RealTree/Walmart sticks that I preset in two trees, I’m almost embarrassed to admit I’ve left them up for almost two full seasons. They’re heavy and a total PITA to lug in but they were $30/4pk on clearance so I couldn’t say no with a couple of twenties in my pocket.

An alternative would be to try SRT with paracord or even rope presets. I’m planning to do this around the property in the off-season because I’m kinda tired of screw-ins and I want to get into a larger variety of trees.

You can get a 4 pack of tethrd skeletors for $191 right now. I don’t have any experience with them but they seem like a mid priced climbing stick. That or the Muddy’s mentioned above.

If price is a hindrance than go with a cheapo big box retailer brand. I used them in the past for years before saddle hunting when we had 25+ presets. If they are staying on a tree for months at a time who cares how light or innovative they are.

Sounds like you will be hunting several trees a day? I can see the use of a few sticks or pre-sets...
Have you tried one sticking would be cheaper than buys a bunch of sticks.
No, I tend to rut-hunt dawn to dark and hopefully from the same tree all day. I'm usually on fairly small properties and IMO, minimal disturbance is critical. The more times my feet hit the ground, and the more times I go to different trees, the more likely I am to educate the herd. Educated deer a definitely more difficult to hunt. Plus I risk the chance of blowing then off the property an onto the neighbors to get shot by them.
Not interested in one sticking,

I weighed the two I mentioned just because I was curious. The Stagger steps come in at a whopping 13lbs for a 3 pack/3 steps each but keep in mind we basically use these as presets and are really nice to climb on. The cut down Lone Wolfs (now Novix) single steps with daisy chain amsteel attachment are 6lbs. at a 4 pack/2 steps each.
Screenshot_20240101-104119_Gallery.jpg

I've used skeletor stick, muddy sticks, and novix doubles. I liked the muddy best for comfort, but they are heavy. I would look for whichever is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

You might want to give SRT a try. I have several sets of sticks but mainly use them to hang my paracord loops for SRT. I have preset loops in dozens of trees and choose the one where the activity and wind favors. Paracord lasts many years and SRT equipment and rope will weigh less than sticks.

2tc or die
Ha, a couple times climbing with 2TC, I thought I was gonna die! Not really, but it was more fiddle factor than I cared to deal with.
Keep in mind that I've always been, and still am, primarily a bolt or screw-in climber. Nothing better for presets...where you can use them.
For those properties in which I can't "damage" trees, but I want something simple, QUIET, safe, and needing less practice...without breaking the bank. Might be a pipe dream.

You might want to give SRT a try. I have several sets of sticks but mainly use them to hang my paracord loops for SRT. I have preset loops in dozens of trees and choose the one where the activity and wind favors. Paracord lasts many years and SRT equipment and rope will weigh less than sticks.
This is one approach that I'm willing to consider. Like I said in post #11, I've never needed an alternative to bolts or screw-ins so I've never gave much thought to SRT.
I have watched some friends one-sticking and it just looked awkward. They certainly weren't quiet doing it.

My vote is some Hawk Heliums. A three step three pack runs around $150, shop around. Steps fold up and the sticks nestle/stack for portability. The three step flavor will get you plenty high enough, throw a removable aider on there and unless you’re @Red Beard you can get 20 feet no problem. If you end up liking them there’s plenty of mods you can do to them to fancy em up. They also make a two step variety as well if you’re wanting something even more portable.

My vote is some Hawk Heliums. A three step three pack runs around $150, shop around. Steps fold up and the sticks nestle/stack for portability. The three step flavor will get you plenty high enough, throw a removable aider on there and unless you’re @Red Beard you can get 20 feet no problem. If you end up liking them there’s plenty of mods you can do to them to fancy em up. They also make a two step variety as well if you’re wanting something even more portable.
So far I'm liking this option the best.
I used to own Muddy sticks a long time ago (the recalled version). I liked the double step, and I liked the rope/cam cleat, but I prefer a 3 step stick rather than 2 step sticks. I eventually sold the Muddys (they replaced the recall sticks) and I used those funds towards buying other saddle gear (Predators). Man, this is like a sickness! Need a 12 step program. LOL.

Back