• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who of us brings too much stuff to the stand?

Now I need to add a whistle!! I forgot to mention in my first post that I nearly always have a 10mm in a Kenai chest holster - either for hogs I run into or two legged nefarious individuals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember to stick your fingers in your ears when using it. I had to blow the whistle hard at a dumb kid target practicing towards me. I didn't put my fingers in my ears and my ears rang for several days afterwards. And don't test it in a car :) The rescue ones are crazy loud, like right below ear damage level.

As the season goes on I tend to carry more clothes and also often begin adding new essentials to my pack. However, I counter that by constantly reviewing what’s in my pack and asking myself what is excess.

Lol this remind me the mistake parent make every year when school starts. My mom would send me to school on the first day with enough supplies for the whole class. 2 weeks in and my backpack barely has a pencil, pokemon cards, and used candy wrappers.

I’m guilty but did rid my pack of the big bladder….I just take a bottle I camouflaged filled with some kind of lyte drink now. Still, I’m a sucker in the “just in case” camp….ugh

It all has to have a "reasonable" purpose, but unless I'm out for a couple of days it's not too bad! And if I'm walking miles and not climbing, it's stupid light... I pack for each individual hunt, unless I know the next one is going to be the same scenario. My biggest downfall is clothing layers! FYI, if you think you're carrying too much, but you're comfortable carrying it and you're not struggling, who really cares haha?

I'm definitely in this club. I was actually thinking about this the other day trying to make a list of all the "essential" stuff I have to have. I am guilty of all the following at one time or another.

Bow, Quiver, release, Pack, cell phone, watch, tree stand/platform, saddle, tether, lineman's belt, extra biner, bino's, rangefinder, steps/sticks, pull up rope, spare release, grunt call, bleat can, rattle bag/horns, license, baseball cap, warm hat, facemask, gloves, hand muff, hand/toe warmers, boot blankets, a book/magazine, reading glasses, hunter's orange vest, extra jackets, insulated bibs, snow camo, rain gear, allen keys, knife, head lamp/flashlight, camera, camera arm, food, water, bow hanger, folding saw, pole pruner, puff bottle/ milk weed and a pee bottle That's over 45 things that I can think of. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing. In the beginning of the season I can't find half of all this crap. About halfway through I usually have everything located. Too much crap just to kill a deer!

Last edited:
I'm definitely in this club. I was actually thinking about this the other day trying to make a list of all the "essential" stuff I have to have. I am guilty of all the following at one time or another.

Bow, Quiver, release, Pack, cell phone, watch, tree stand/platform, saddle, tether, lineman's belt, extra biner, bino's, rangefinder, steps/sticks, pull up rope, spare release, grunt call, bleat can, rattle bag/horns, license, baseball cap, warm hat, facemask, gloves, hand muff, hand/toe warmers, boot blankets, a book/magazine, reading glasses, hunter's orange vest, extra jackets, insulated bibs, snow camo, rain gear, allen keys, knife, head lamp/flashlight, camera, camera arm, food, water, bow hanger, folding saw, pole pruner, puff bottle/ milk weed and a pee bottle That's over 45 things that I can think of. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing. In the beginning of the season I can't find half of all this crap. About halfway through I usually have everything located. Too much crap just to kill a deer!

I understand!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A backup tether is necessary IMO. I hunt enough trees with splits that I use 2 tethers a few times a season. Plus an extra tether gives you a self rescue option. I can 2t climb down with my extra tether and lineman's (turned into another tether) if I need to.

A backup tether is necessary IMO. I hunt enough trees with splits that I use 2 tethers a few times a season. Plus an extra tether gives you a self rescue option. I can 2t climb down with my extra tether and lineman's (turned into another tether) if I need to.
Makes a good gear hanger too.

Back