• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team #7

I'm back in a tree. I have today, tomorrow, and maybe a day next week to fill a doe tag. I can't remember the last year I didn't shoot a doe.

Don't love this spot no real fresh sign, but we'll see. I shoulda set up the first spot I scouted but it's too late to run back there.

View attachment 98003
Lets go! You got 5 more points in ya. Get it done

Ha, I dont think I could figure it all out if I had 3 life time to do it.

i bet you could. i have one small tract that i hunt a couplea times a year thats private. when there is corn in this field and it doesnt get plowed until late oct, the doe bedding is pretty dern consistent and the buck travel routes are also. i bet you have the same.

my public is way more dynamic so i need to be much more diligent. i'll work on that this coming year. i have some notes, but ....

Hoping to get one more sit in this weekend, that will be it for me
Good luck!

Possibly you all don't care lol but I forgot to update you on my birthday hunt; the first with my pup. He turned 1 last month. Done a ton of obedience work with him. Lots of retrieves. Teaching him to find shed antlers but haven't worked much on teaching him to find squirrels besides when we're on walks saying squirrel when we see them and then commanding him to go get it so he chases one up a tree. Unfortunately we didn't see many on the ground on our hunt, he didn't know what exactly he was sniffing for, but boy would he go searching for them when I told him to. He was unsure what to do with them when the first one hit the ground, the second he saw fall and was ready to get it but then still like wth do I do with this now. By the third he was amped up and ready to toss it around and play with it lol. For the first try, he was amazing. He listened better than he ever has and most importantly he had the freakin time of his life which made the day so awesome. I loved it. I think he'd be an amazing duck dog but my wallet sure doesn't need me to start a new hunting venture haha.

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

Good luck!

Possibly you all don't care lol but I forgot to update you on my birthday hunt; the first with my pup. He turned 1 last month. Done a ton of obedience work with him. Lots of retrieves. Teaching him to find shed antlers but haven't worked much on teaching him to find squirrels besides when we're on walks saying squirrel when we see them and then commanding him to go get it so he chases one up a tree. Unfortunately we didn't see many on the ground on our hunt, he didn't know what exactly he was sniffing for, but boy would he go searching for them when I told him to. He was unsure what to do with them when the first one hit the ground, the second he saw fall and was ready to get it but then still like wth do I do with this now. By the third he was amped up and ready to toss it around and play with it lol. For the first try, he was amazing. He listened better than he ever has and most importantly he had the freakin time of his life which made the day so awesome. I loved it. I think he'd be an amazing duck dog but my wallet sure doesn't need me to start a new hunting venture haha.

View attachment 98006

View attachment 98007

View attachment 98008

View attachment 98009

View attachment 98010

View attachment 98011

View attachment 98012

View attachment 98013
Jealous, been wanting to get a dog to squirrel hunt with for a while now. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to start sniffing them out for you

interesting. i need to keep that in mind.

on my public, they plant stuff and change what/where they plant drastically which shifts the herd (bedding and feeding). my MO is to find what/where they planted in late summer and start looking for fresh sign and put up a few cameras for inventory. during season, i scout for a few hours and then hang where i scouted a few days ago. rinse and repeat. i just hunt fresh sign. i'll try to keep better notes this year but i'm a little skeptical for my situation.

has anyone noticed this using notes or cameras on public?
The public places I hunt, the crops on private will get rotated and the deer may summer just a little different than the one before, but they always cut 2 weeks or so before season opens and when they do, the deer shift to they're usual haunts and they use same areas each season and like I said earlier, bucks always seem to show up within a day or 2 of the year before.

@Will Harris I just looked and here's a couple pics from public I hunt, last year and this year, same buck, same scrape, a year to the date, first time to get him each year on camera. He then would spend the next 2 weeks or so in the general area before moving on. Closest I've came was one morning this year he was on a camera about a 100 yards from me, but it's so thick I never knew it.

Last year
Screenshot_20240105-163707_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240105-163638_Gallery.jpg

This year
Screenshot_20240105-163818_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240105-163844_Gallery.jpg

@Will Harris I just looked and here's a couple pics from public I hunt, last year and this year, same buck, same scrape, a year to the date, first time to get him each year on camera. He then would spend the next 2 weeks or so in the general area before moving on. Closest I've came was one morning this year he was on a camera about a 100 yards from me, but it's so thick I never knew it.

Last year
View attachment 98015View attachment 98016

This year
View attachment 98017View attachment 98018

Thats a dammed nice deer. Appreciate you taking the time to find these. I have a few from this year and last year that i have decent notes one. Thanks to yall ill pay a lot more attention to when/where i saw them. Thanks again!

Jealous, been wanting to get a dog to squirrel hunt with for a while now. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to start sniffing them out for you
It made me unbelievably happy, man. Hoping to build on it a few more times this season. Anyone have any favorite squirrel recipes?

I went this evening. 5-6 years ago I found some good sign this time of year while squirrel hunting and I've never made it back there. So I slipped in about 1 pm and sign looked nearly identical to the past, so I quickly found a tree and climbed up. Well bout 4 I had a spike come by, about 445 I could hear something coming in the flooded timber, so I got ready, listened to it for probably 2 minutes before I saw it, deer at about 60 yards, then a 2nd, and a 3rd angling towards me. Finally they popped onto dry land about 40 yards from me. 3 doe, angling to the south, they piddled under a red oak then started towards me. Never heard anything else so I decided to video them, lead doe was at about 25, went to unzip my jacket pocket and get my phone and quiet as I could I unzipped it about an inch and she FLIPPED OUT. Other 2 didnt know what the hell but she run back to about 50 and kept looking around, they went to her and they started angling north at 50 yards headed away from me, as the last doe got out of sight when i see another deer at 50 come out of the water, never made a sound and followed the doe's It was a 15-16" wide 8 that was that tall off his head. Not really long tines, just tall racked. If it weren't for spooking that doe, I'm confident I'd had him come by at 20-25 yards, oh well... that's how spooky and pressured these deer are here.

I went this evening. 5-6 years ago I found some good sign this time of year while squirrel hunting and I've never made it back there. So I slipped in about 1 pm and sign looked nearly identical to the past, so I quickly found a tree and climbed up. Well bout 4 I had a spike come by, about 445 I could hear something coming in the flooded timber, so I got ready, listened to it for probably 2 minutes before I saw it, deer at about 60 yards, then a 2nd, and a 3rd angling towards me. Finally they popped onto dry land about 40 yards from me. 3 doe, angling to the south, they piddled under a red oak then started towards me. Never heard anything else so I decided to video them, lead doe was at about 25, went to unzip my jacket pocket and get my phone and quiet as I could I unzipped it about an inch and she FLIPPED OUT. Other 2 didnt know what the hell but she run back to about 50 and kept looking around, they went to her and they started angling north at 50 yards headed away from me, as the last doe got out of sight when i see another deer at 50 come out of the water, never made a sound and followed the doe's It was a 15-16" wide 8 that was that tall off his head. Not really long tines, just tall racked. If it weren't for spooking that doe, I'm confident I'd had him come by at 20-25 yards, oh well... that's how spooky and pressured these deer are here.
Yup, that sucks. Live and learn. Gotta have the phone out earlier or not at all lol. I'm hoping to get out Friday. My bow is itching for one more chance. Cameras show a lot of deer moving this morning.. probably because we're supposed to get 2-3" of rain tomorrow and 60mph gusts. Wishing I would have got my blinds down when I was out with the pup. Hopefully they survive the winds and I don't have new purchases to make for the kiddos

That's rough, I try to keep my phone tucked in the back side of my bino harness or in an unzipped pocket myself.

I went out last night and saw absolutely nothing. Temps were warmer than forecast and the wind switched earlier than expected, right at what should have been prime time. Season runs through the 15th here, I was supposed to be out of town next weekend but the cold and snow that's coming in Friday may change that. If I'm home it should be a good couple days to get frostbite and shoot some hungry does

680e2ee9e1010856ed40277f0addb1f8.jpg

Pulled a couple cams that have been up since summer out in the mountain area I started hunting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e09eb88edd343af391e192e6b177b39d.jpg

Feelin a little better about my spot picking out there after I checked a couple cams in Oct and didn’t have crap on them. Still have 4 cams to get out and see what they show. Think I will be way better prepared for season next year after seeing the difference in 2 years acorn crops, what the cams show and what I learned hunting and scouting in season.

All screen grabs from video clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was hoping to be out this AM in the new spot I found but my wife’s been sick so it’s not happening. Probably take the pup for squirrels again once the kids are off to school. I’m sure a giant will be in front of my cam this morning now. Might have one more chance before the seasons over

Back