• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EXO K4 Thread (Officially unofficial)

Can someone who loved the KUIU Pro Frame and bags tell me why I need the K4? Thanks
I can't speak to the K4 but I can speak to the KUIU frame/bag setup. The KUIU frame feels great! That is until its loaded down with enough weight to warrant a pack frame. I have two issues with the KUIU frame.

The first issue is the carbon frame doesn't allow any torsional freedom of movement. It feels like having a sheet of plywood strapped to your back. Not super fun when you've got a few miles of blowdowns you need to climb through.

The second issue I have with the KUIU frame is the lumbar pad is waaay too firm. On super heavy loads it just digs into the base of your spine. After a mile worth of hiking with 90 lbs made my legs start to tingle and I was sore for a few days afterwards. It's entirely possible they've re-designed it since then but that was my experience.

I absolutely love the K3 over the KUIU system but I'm curious what advantages the K4 has over the K3

I loved my Kuiu until I tried Kifaru and Exo. Then I couldn’t get the Kuiu off my back fast enough.
I think most of the K4 advantage will be in the harness and hip belt. The K4 padding needs a little of break in but it seems to hold much better than K3. If you love the K3, it may not be worth the trade. If you have a little slip in the K3, well worth it.

I can't speak to the K4 but I can speak to the KUIU frame/bag setup. The KUIU frame feels great! That is until its loaded down with enough weight to warrant a pack frame. I have two issues with the KUIU frame.

The first issue is the carbon frame doesn't allow any torsional freedom of movement. It feels like having a sheet of plywood strapped to your back. Not super fun when you've got a few miles of blowdowns you need to climb through.

The second issue I have with the KUIU frame is the lumbar pad is waaay too firm. On super heavy loads it just digs into the base of your spine. After a mile worth of hiking with 90 lbs made my legs start to tingle and I was sore for a few days afterwards. It's entirely possible they've re-designed it since then but that was my experience.

I absolutely love the K3 over the KUIU system but I'm curious what advantages the K4 has over the K3
You must have missed the “someone who also Loved” part lol. Thanks for the thoughts. How does the organization of the k3/K4 compare to the Kuiu bags? I came from the venture to the pro 2300 so I really like that system of pockets etc.

90 lbs is wild. Most I’ve done was 60 lbs 14 miles and 75 lbs 2.5miles, and many miles in the 20-35 lb range. No issues to complain about. It carries all my gear wonderfully but I’m sick of carrying a ton of gear, but I also love being able to pack a deer out. Probably going back to the little m1 carrier which is much smaller and super ok at hauling. Basically all you need for whitetail and a minimalist 2TC set up.

I loved my Kuiu until I tried Kifaru and Exo. Then I couldn’t get the Kuiu off my back fast enough.
I think most of the K4 advantage will be in the harness and hip belt. The K4 padding needs a little of break in but it seems to hold much better than K3. If you love the K3, it may not be worth the trade. If you have a little slip in the K3, well worth it.

It is true that the main focus of the K4 build was in response to reports of the K3 belt slipping under load. Adding the stiffer lumbar pad to the stack was a valid K3 solution for some who were struggling with that.

I don’t have enough time to say definitively it’s a problem, but off the bat I am getting some slip with the K4. Probably need to break it in more, idk.

It is true that the main focus of the K4 build was in response to reports of the K3 belt slipping under load. Adding the stiffer lumbar pad to the stack was a valid K3 solution for some who were struggling with that.

I don’t have enough time to say definitively it’s a problem, but off the bat I am getting some slip with the K4. Probably need to break it in more, idk.
what have you packed with it? Meat or just gear? Day in and day out setup then pack meat out?

I had the Kuiu for one year, hauled out one deer. Loved this pack for organization and going in/out for hunts.

i bought the K4 2200 this year, have hauled out 7 deer between myself and my dad. Frame/pack is a little heavier and definitely a lack pockets, but suits my style just fine. However this thing shines once you get 50+ lbs loaded. I’ve never done overnights, I’d probably move up to the next size pack if that was my main hunting style.

Can someone who loved the KUIU Pro Frame and bags tell me why I need the K4? Thanks

Pride of ownership. K4 build quality is impressive.

Otherwise, idk. I do think the K4 frame is better, but would be just fine with Kuiu Pro for what I do.

what have you packed with it? Meat or just gear? Day in and day out setup then pack meat out?

No meat. I stuck with the Kifaru DL/Stryker XL for hunting. But I loaded the K4 2200 with the exact same gear I use in ANF, PA for comparison and while it felt nice and light, the belt was noticeably slipping…and I wasn’t in the mountains or hard terrain. Kifaru is stiffer and heavier but it stays put on me.

Don’t get me wrong, K4 may end up may favorite. Not there yet.

No meat. I stuck with the Kifaru DL/Stryker XL for hunting. But I loaded the K4 2200 with the exact same gear I use in ANF, PA for comparison and while it felt nice and light, the belt was noticeably slipping…and I wasn’t in the mountains or hard terrain. Kifaru is stiffer and heavier but it stays put on me.

Don’t get me wrong, K4 may end up may favorite. Not there yet.
I was going to ask what seemed to hold up better of the two but didn’t know who had both systems. Stryker XL vs 2200. I have the Stryker XL with DTac frame but haven’t hauled meat with it. I have hauled a large pop up blind, pac seat, turkey decoys, etc. It Carried everything fine.

I was going to ask what seemed to hold up better of the two but didn’t know who had both systems. Stryker XL vs 2200. I have the Stryker XL with DTac frame but haven’t hauled meat with it. I have hauled a large pop up blind, pac seat, turkey decoys, etc. It Carried everything fine.

Both Kifaru and Exo are bomber. Kifaru is a little more heavy duty but either are going to haul, no question.

The K4 frame is lighter, narrower, and less rigid in dynamic motion than the DL. Which is why Exo keeps the bags so narrow…to avoid stability issues.

While I like having side pockets and a bigger top pocket (a la K4 2200), the Exo bag is the skinny jeans of frame pack bags. It’s far from perfect imo. A wider bag works better for me, and Kifaru’s frame seems to manage that.

Exo wants to move loads higher, narrower, and closer to reduce felt weight. It’s not always practical to pack that way.

But either are really really nice.

I love this pack. I've been using the 2200 as a late season whitetail/saddlehunting pack, and have the 5000 that I used for a week in Alaska last year, hope to repeat that this year again.

I also have most of the accessories, crib panel, gun carrier, nalgene carrier, belt pouches, etc. I went a bit nuts, but I have been loving this system.

Haven't packed an animal out with it, but did many miles and many hundreds of trips up and down the stairs in my house with ~ 65 lbs of weights in the pack, it carries great.

The rifle carrier is very slightly awkward to deploy the rifle from-i need to practice more, and particularly with the rubber stock pad on my rifle, pretty much requires I take the pack off to put it back in the carrier. Nalgene carrier is awesome, I've been using it with a 48 oz bottle, holds great, feels great. Various pouches and such work as they should.

The fabric is pretty waterproof, though I do have a dry bag liner for downpours, didn't use it much. May be a bit "loud" for saddlehunting, but I try to minimize rustling around in my bag anyway.

Feel free to ask questions, I'm definitely a k4 fanboy lol

Edit: there is an extremely long thread over on rokslide about the k4 that the owners respond to questions on

Get a kifaru gun bearer, I run one on my k3 I absolutely love it. Best gun carrier made for a pack.

Kifaru is well over built and extremely tough. Exo is tough but as “heavy duty” as Kifaru. Both haul more than you can carry. It’s a matter of what fits you the best.

It’s a matter of what fits you the best.
And this is the most important answer once you are talking about carrying real weight. When I had the Seek frame, it was really light and carried weight pretty well. Then I got the Kifaru and the first time I put 50 pounds on it the difference in how much better it fit me was obvious. 100 pounds is not a problem for me with the kifaru. I'm not going to be going fast for sure but it doesnt cause any physical issues. The Seek withthe same weight would after some distance cause hip pain and leg tingle like @heretic mentioned. When you find the a pack that fits your body, it will make a big difference when you are hauling weight.

They both fit me fine. So for me at least it’s a matter of which one is better suited for how I hunt.
For me the answer is neither but kifaru is closer and more easily customizable. Curious to see what they have come up with for whitetails. Guessing it will still be lacking for the truly mobile public land hunter but may be better than what is currently available. That's based purely on a guess as to the folks mostly likely involved in designing and testing.

You must have missed the “someone who also Loved” part lol. Thanks for the thoughts. How does the organization of the k3/K4 compare to the Kuiu bags? I came from the venture to the pro 2300 so I really like that system of pockets etc.

90 lbs is wild. Most I’ve done was 60 lbs 14 miles and 75 lbs 2.5miles, and many miles in the 20-35 lb range. No issues to complain about. It carries all my gear wonderfully but I’m sick of carrying a ton of gear, but I also love being able to pack a deer out. Probably going back to the little m1 carrier which is much smaller and super ok at hauling. Basically all you need for whitetail and a minimalist 2TC set up.
My apologies, that did not mean to come off as hate on the KUIU. Oddly enough I actually DO love my KUIU pack/bags, just not for heavy loads. I have 5200, 3200, and 1850 icon pro bags but primarily used the 3200 for elk and 1850 for whitetail before the switch to the exo (4800).

As far as organization is concerned I'd say they're pretty close in functionality. The KUIU bags have two internal zippered mesh compartments while the K3 only has one. The inner stretchy mesh bag (which I always assumed was for a bladder) in the KUIU is replaced with a dedicated water sealed compartment in the K3 that is completely separated from the rest of the bag (if you pop a bladder your gear stays dry).

The outside compartments/pockets on the KUIU are similar in functionality as well. I prefer the KUIU compartment on the back that runs down the ridge as compared to the K3 as the K3 is shallower and made of stretchy material. However a point goes to the K3 as they have two side compartments made of the same stretchy material that run down the entire length of the bag (good for stuffing a tent or something out of the way). I think the main advantage of the K3 over the KUIU bags is how well it compacts down. I use the 4800 K3 bag for both whitetail and elk, it's never overly bulky and it's just more versitile for my use case. The KUIU 3200 when packed to the brim seemed to sit off the frame further and bulk out in the depth dimension as opposed to the K3 that would bulk out in the width dimension.

That being said I still keep my KUIU gear around. I still use my 1850 bag with its internal frame stays for spring scouting/turkey season, and I keep my KUIU frame w/ meat hauler panel in my truck incase I've got a buddy hunting with me and I need an extra pack mule.

Get a kifaru gun bearer, I run one on my k3 I absolutely love it. Best gun carrier made for a pack.

I used and enjoyed the Kifaru gun bearer this season. It was best for me with rifle harnessed scope down.

Can’t speak to the K4 gun bearer, but I have a couple of thoughts:
1. It certainly doesn’t seem as quick
2. Like the Nalgene holder, it appears anything wide (like a stand) in the load shelf would cause interference.
3. It seems like it would be hard(er) to re-sling

Back