• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EXO K4 Thread (Officially unofficial)

Plebe

SH Member
Couldn’t find a thread specifically on K4 so hopefully not a duplicate.

Post your musings, thoughts, and experiences about the K4, packs, accessories. Likes, dislikes, want to sees. etc.

Repost lol...

I loved the standard 2200 configuration for early season. Mid thru late-season it fell apart for me organizationally... Primarily the space for layers was lacking, the lid doesn't have enough space to offset for bulky items, and I don't like strapping clothing to the outside. I would love to see a 3000-3600 redesigned similar to the 2200 configuration, they all compress down small anyway, and I dislike changing my bag mid-season, so I'm probably just using the current 3600 going forward... I originally ordered the pack in the 3600 and then went back and ordered both the 2200 and 5000 additionally! Absolutely in love with the frame and setup overall, just looking more for "immediate and organized" "accessibility" in a whitetail "day" hunt configuration that meets my specific needs.

FYI I never ran the lid on the 2200 because it didn't make sense to me.

I previously owned a MR Sawtooth 45 and was happy with the functionality of it (when loaded), but it didn't compress down and it was a bit heavier than the EXO, although it carried weight really well. The 3600 bag without the roll-top configuration would be awesome for the EXO. Organizationally, for the size of the bag, I actually might give the edge to the Badlands 2200 (bag, not frame, or comfort/load capabilities).

Attachments

• 20230430_133024 (1).jpg
    20230430_133024 (1).jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 40
I love this pack. I've been using the 2200 as a late season whitetail/saddlehunting pack, and have the 5000 that I used for a week in Alaska last year, hope to repeat that this year again.

I also have most of the accessories, crib panel, gun carrier, nalgene carrier, belt pouches, etc. I went a bit nuts, but I have been loving this system.

Haven't packed an animal out with it, but did many miles and many hundreds of trips up and down the stairs in my house with ~ 65 lbs of weights in the pack, it carries great.

The rifle carrier is very slightly awkward to deploy the rifle from-i need to practice more, and particularly with the rubber stock pad on my rifle, pretty much requires I take the pack off to put it back in the carrier. Nalgene carrier is awesome, I've been using it with a 48 oz bottle, holds great, feels great. Various pouches and such work as they should.

The fabric is pretty waterproof, though I do have a dry bag liner for downpours, didn't use it much. May be a bit "loud" for saddlehunting, but I try to minimize rustling around in my bag anyway.

Feel free to ask questions, I'm definitely a k4 fanboy lol

Edit: there is an extremely long thread over on rokslide about the k4 that the owners respond to questions on

Nalgene carrier is awesome,

This was a huge selling point for me. I hate reaching around behind me to get my water bottle from the side pouch on my MR. I almost bought the pack for this reason alone but, I found a water bottle holder that I can slip through the back two offset pals loops on my MR belt which puts it at a 45 deg angle and has similar function to the K4 holder.

This was a huge selling point for me. I hate reaching around behind me to get my water bottle from the side pouch on my MR. I almost bought the pack for this reason alone but, I found a water bottle holder that I can slip through the back two offset pals loops on my MR belt which puts it at a 45 deg angle and has similar function to the K4 holder.

K4 Nalgene pouch interferes with anything wide you carry in the load shelf, like a tree stand.

The frames are very capable of carrying everything you need. Even the over zealous saddle hunter can carry ALL their gear. The new waist belt and back pad are much more comfortable to me. Packs are tough but not to the point they are hard to manipulate. I have a 2200 and 5000 and like the bag layout. Simple and very functional. The big one for me is function. The system is quick to adjust and use.
IMG_1705.jpeg
A K2 2000 with an elk front, hind and loose meat.

The frames are very capable of carrying everything you need. Even the over zealous saddle hunter can carry ALL their gear. The new waist belt and back pad are much more comfortable to me. Packs are tough but not to the point they are hard to manipulate. I have a 2200 and 5000 and like the bag layout. Simple and very functional. The big one for me is function. The system is quick to adjust and use.
View attachment 98179
A K2 2000 with an elk front, hind and loose meat.
What you need for that stroll is a mile or two of deadfall. ;)

Good grief I'm going to need a trip to the support thread after this, however, what advantages does the K4 present over the K3? Am I missing out on a game changer or just some incremental improvements?

Good grief I'm going to need a trip to the support thread after this, however, what advantages does the K4 present over the K3? Am I missing out on a game changer or just some incremental improvements?
Don't go to the support thread without reason, it's like abusing your conscience LMAO!!! I never owned a K3, so other than researching it, I really can't tell you the "major" differences. IMO the K4 knocked it out of the park. For my late season layering system, the 2200 bag is a bit lacking, not the frame setup! IDK, if you have a K3, maybe you can physically see the differences (I posted a few pics assembled and stripped down in the DIY section under a pack modularity and integration thread).

If you sold your KUIU, it's because you need one; if you didn't sell your KUIU, it's because it's the morally right thing to do... LMAO!
I’m selling my KUIU set up to get out of the frame game. I just need one reason to get back in the frame game before I officially get out of the frame game. It’s a cyclical process with no end in site.

Back