• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EXO K4 Thread (Officially unofficial)

For me the answer is neither but kifaru is closer and more easily customizable. Curious to see what they have come up with for whitetails. Guessing it will still be lacking for the truly mobile public land hunter but may be better than what is currently available. That's based purely on a guess as to the folks mostly likely involved in designing and testing.

I agree. Neither are near perfect for me. I find Kifaru more versatile. But I do enjoy the lightness of the K4 frame.

With my climbing platform setup, the 2200 pockets offer some separation of items, which appeals to me. But again, that bags dimensions and design detract some from such functionality.

The new Kifaru launch doesn’t look overly promising to me if it’s what they are flashing pics of…sort of looks like a Kifaruized K4 2200, lol, or just a Shape Charge 2.0. Getting their digs on K4 EXOizing the Duplex Lite.

D2A8AEDA-8542-4425-8E31-D07933749691.jpegBE0AF2B7-0155-4E03-AC1E-E29263657B14.jpeg

Last edited:
The inner stretchy mesh bag (which I always assumed was for a bladder) in the KUIU is replaced with a dedicated water sealed compartment in the K3 that is completely separated from the rest of the bag (if you pop a bladder your gear stays dry).

K4 2200 bladder holder is an open top sleeve in the main bag compartment, not an isolated zippered pocket like the K3 1800 bladder/wet storage pouch. So the K3 day bag is superior there to the K4.

K4:
5B3D7D01-E6F5-4F99-8A2C-DB3490FB7167.png

K3:
E52F3790-8311-40BF-9944-CCF1C8624DDC.png

K3 1800 can easily be modified to fit the Duplex Lite Frame, btw.

I’m here for the support group.

I started listening to the Hunt Backcountry podcast a couple of years ago and came to respect Steve and Mark. Anyways in 22 I bought the “blem” K3 as a way to get into the pack world. The system performed great for me and I honestly didn’t have any issues with it. Fast forward to the hyped release of the K4 I sold the K3 and other gear to fund my purchase of the K4 5k.

The K4 5k has performed flawlessly for me this season. When hiking in I toss everything in the main bag and tighten it down. For my backwoods backpacking trip the platform sat in the load shelf with everything else between the lid and bag. It carried nicely and I had no complaints. For the backpacking trip I had gear for 3 nights with plenty of room to spare.

Training hikes for me usually consist of 65 lbs of total pack weight and it carry’s well. I notice a little bit of slippage at first if I don’t have the belt tightened properly, but then it settles in and it’s good to go. I’m unsure of my pack weight during the packout this past fall, but with my saddle gear, head and cape, rear quarter, and loose meat I know I was somewhere between 80 and 100lbs. It was significantly heavier than any of my training loads at 60 lbs. The pack handled the weight great and I didn’t have any fatigue from the pack itself after the 2 mile packout. I can’t recommend the K4 enough.

IMG_8976.jpeg
IMG_9762.jpeg
IMG_2464.jpeg

I love the K4 frame. The 5000 bag was very good but it wasn't exactly what I was wanting. Currently I have a large HPG Decker bag I'm using. Some minor mods and it goes with the frame nicely. I'm also using the K4 crib and I have a HPG Tara Pocket attached to that for now. Once I finish up this season I plan on putting a zipper on the bag so I can have access from the front of the bag, some cordage on the sides, and a few internal mesh pockets for organization. I think I'll have the pack I want at that point. I hope anyway.

I’m here for the support group.

I started listening to the Hunt Backcountry podcast a couple of years ago and came to respect Steve and Mark. Anyways in 22 I bought the “blem” K3 as a way to get into the pack world. The system performed great for me and I honestly didn’t have any issues with it. Fast forward to the hyped release of the K4 I sold the K3 and other gear to fund my purchase of the K4 5k.

The K4 5k has performed flawlessly for me this season. When hiking in I toss everything in the main bag and tighten it down. For my backwoods backpacking trip the platform sat in the load shelf with everything else between the lid and bag. It carried nicely and I had no complaints. For the backpacking trip I had gear for 3 nights with plenty of room to spare.

Training hikes for me usually consist of 65 lbs of total pack weight and it carry’s well. I notice a little bit of slippage at first if I don’t have the belt tightened properly, but then it settles in and it’s good to go. I’m unsure of my pack weight during the packout this past fall, but with my saddle gear, head and cape, rear quarter, and loose meat I know I was somewhere between 80 and 100lbs. It was significantly heavier than any of my training loads at 60 lbs. The pack handled the weight great and I didn’t have any fatigue from the pack itself after the 2 mile packout. I can’t recommend the K4 enough.

View attachment 98224
View attachment 98225
View attachment 98226

how do you climb?

Don't go to the support thread without reason, it's like abusing your conscience LMAO!!! I never owned a K3, so other than researching it, I really can't tell you the "major" differences. IMO the K4 knocked it out of the park. For my late season layering system, the 2200 bag is a bit lacking, not the frame setup! IDK, if you have a K3, maybe you can physically see the differences (I posted a few pics assembled and stripped down in the DIY section under a pack modularity and integration thread).
D0A9229B-1B3D-4C90-B09B-7EBD56E8211F.jpeg

Training hikes for me usually consist of 65 lbs of total pack weight and it carry’s well. I notice a little bit of slippage at first if I don’t have the belt tightened properly, but then it settles in and it’s good to go.

I wonder if that is what I‘ve been sensing. Slipping before it settles in.

I don’t have extensive use like you, but have noticed in many online pictures that the belt often isn’t oriented under load quite like it is when there’s little to no weight. There’s a lean. Like it slides down until the lumbar creates a wedge that locks it in place. Maybe that’s why I’ve felt some slip and perhaps it will resolve over a distance.

81437662-91EC-40D1-A5AF-2E82CF0A51EA.jpegDEDDE28B-5868-407E-AFCA-A59F1D5A94F0.jpegA7C5A2D5-645C-4768-B7D9-81A8F241E694.png1D48A045-A310-4BFF-BF7D-943CB1F0460B.jpeg

how do you climb?

I one stick with a modified hawk helium and then used a predator platform once I'm up. I've considered going to an all in one stick, however I feel like it wouldn't pack as nicely for me.

It's very possible that the slippage your experiencing is from that. The K4 definitely needs broken in under weight. From what I recall Steve has said expect the lumbar pad to break in around 30-50 miles. I may be significantly off the mark on that one though. I always had a tendency of having my hip belt slightly lower then where it should be which created some fitment issues as well. Another thing I learned was to not crank on the load lifters. If you really crank on them and pull the load to tight against your back your actually creating leverage and pulling the lumbar pad away from your back. While it feels good at first it does allow the pack to slip while moving.

With all that said the K4 is forgiving from what I've found on fitment, however when your able to get it dialed in perfectly it's a noticeable difference. The pack feels better to me 30 lbs and up then it does 30 and under. It floats more when not loaded heavy and doesn't want to lock in per say.

I one stick with a modified hawk helium and then used a predator platform once I'm up. I've considered going to an all in one stick, however I feel like it wouldn't pack as nicely for me.

It's very possible that the slippage your experiencing is from that. The K4 definitely needs broken in under weight. From what I recall Steve has said expect the lumbar pad to break in around 30-50 miles. I may be significantly off the mark on that one though. I always had a tendency of having my hip belt slightly lower then where it should be which created some fitment issues as well. Another thing I learned was to not crank on the load lifters. If you really crank on them and pull the load to tight against your back your actually creating leverage and pulling the lumbar pad away from your back. While it feels good at first it does allow the pack to slip while moving.

With all that said the K4 is forgiving from what I've found on fitment, however when your able to get it dialed in perfectly it's a noticeable difference. The pack feels better to me 30 lbs and up then it does 30 and under. It floats more when not loaded heavy and doesn't want to lock in per say.

A lot of good info here, thanks.

I think the problem (for me) must be what you wrote about in the last paragraph, how it feels better over 30lbs. I’ve just had it at standard pack in weights and I’m well under 30 with day hunt loads.

I saw that bit about break-in. I kind of thought it was more focused on a softer, more comfortable feel (for those users who find the lumbar a bit large or stiff) than on performance of the frame under load.

It’s good advice about the load lifters, but that’s not my issue.

I asked about your climbing method, because I couldn’t see one. I’m hoping we can get to showing how guys and gals are loading up their elevated hunting setups in K4 packs. Tidbits that can help new users discover refinements. So you’ve got a stick (horizontal?) and Predator platform in the load shelf on the way in? I’ve only loaded up my climbing platform and it was good in the load shelf too.

In the photos I uploaded earlier my entire climbing setup was in the main bag. If I'm going in for an evening hunt I have my puffy in one of the outer sleeves and my saddle, stick, and platform all loaded into the main bag. I prefer this vs sticking the platform between the frame and bag as it's less straps to undo when at the base of the tree. I also do not wear my saddle in as typically I'm walking close to if not over a mile to where I want to hunt. I prefer just putting the saddle on when I'm at the base of the tree and it really doesn't cost me much time either. When I went on my backpacking hunt I slipped the platform between the frame and bag with the stick strapped to the side and saddle between the bag and lid as I had more important things that needed to be in the bag itself. Don't get me wrong the 5k is an extremely large bag for day hunts even though it compresses down nicely.

I'm really tempted to use the crib panel with lid and some other minimalist type bag on the panel for next season for day hunts. This would also be used for training hikes and save my 5k bag for multi day hunts or camping trips.

My K4 “settles” with weight. I have noassatall and put the bag on a bit high. It usually settles right over the hips. The buckle usually lays right over my belly button. It is locked in after that. Again, this is under load. It was much more comfortable at the end of September than when I first got it.

Can now personally attest the 2200 bag fits a fanatic jacket inside with a bit of room to spare/full side pockets

If you run it vertically it will fit. It basically takes up the whole bag. When I tried stuffing a puffy vest in (with it) it was an all out war.

And a puffy vest won’t fit in a side pocket.

I load coat and bibs on the load shelf anyway.

But as a jacket transporter and small items tote, yes the 2200 bag can manage that.

Last edited:
If you run it vertically it will fit. It basically takes up the whole bag. When I tried stuffing a puffy vest in it was an all out war.

And a puffy vest won’t fit in a side pocket.

I load coat and bibs on the load shelf anyway.

But as a jacket transporter and small items tote, yes the 2200 bag can manage that.
I like using a stuff sack for my puffy items, sit on it sideways (gets it flatter than just pressing down the top and getting a tube/ball shape) and close the top to get them as small as possible, then shove that into the bag, gets much less zipper entanglement. I have a sea to summit one for my sleeping bag that has the eVac/event bottom (basically a fabric one way valve) and it worked great, so may get another for the puffy pants/jacket.

It is true that the main focus of the K4 build was in response to reports of the K3 belt slipping under load. Adding the stiffer lumbar pad to the stack was a valid K3 solution for some who were struggling with that.

I don’t have enough time to say definitively it’s a problem, but off the bat I am getting some slip with the K4. Probably need to break it in more, idk.
I had them send me the softer lumbar pad, which they did for free!

Can now personally attest the 2200 bag fits a fanatic jacket inside with a bit of room to spare/full side pockets
I do know that it won't fit a Badlands Silens jacket and bibs set comfortably lol, especially if any other items are needed... Back to the 3600, but considering changing the bag to the 5000 (minimal weight penalty) for general use.

I like using a stuff sack for my puffy items, sit on it sideways (gets it flatter than just pressing down the top and getting a tube/ball shape) and close the top to get them as small as possible, then shove that into the bag, gets much less zipper entanglement. I have a sea to summit one for my sleeping bag that has the eVac/event bottom (basically a fabric one way valve) and it worked great, so may get another for the puffy pants/jacket.

I’m not really looking to add extra bags inside my bag. Though I have done it. In most cases, I feel like it’s just more to deal with.

It’s one of the reasons I was imploring the Exo design team to keep wet storage separated on the 2200 like they did with the K3 1800 (or to line one side pocket of the 2200 with sil-nylon).

I always change out at least the top I wear while hiking in, and would love to be able to stuff the sweated up garment(s) into a built in completely separate wet storage pocket.

But they went with a sil-nylon sleeve in the main bag instead, which is a disappointment to me. Means I’ll be bagging those items up. Probably better for keeping my pack more sent free anyway.

I’m not really looking to add extra bags inside my bag. Though I have done it. In most cases, I feel like it’s just more to deal with.

It’s one of the reasons I was imploring the Exo design team to keep wet storage separated on the 2200 like they did with the K3 1800 (or to line one side pocket of the 2200 with sil-nylon).

I always change out at least the top I wear while hiking in, and would love to be able to stuff the sweated up garment(s) into a built in completely separate wet storage pocket.

But they went with a sil-nylon sleeve in the main bag instead, which is a disappointment to me. Means I’ll be bagging those items up. Probably better for keeping my pack more sent free anyway.
The 3600 and 5000 bags are separated that way, and accessible from outside the pack...

Back