• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Novix hybrid treestand

I just don’t see any benefit in it. My old assault is 8.5# and way more functional in every way.

I’m surprised they didn’t introduce a similar sized Raider series stand to the old LW Assault. The Raider comes in lighter than their cast Echo, at the same size, by over a pound.

An 8ish pound Raider version of the 9lb “Helo“ seemed more likely than the Hybrid, which weighs in at 8lbs with a much smaller platform.

Anyone actually stepped foot on one of these “machined” Raider platforms?

Anyone actually stepped foot on one of these “machined” Raider platforms?
You cant because some numbnut put the cables where your feet are supposed to go. There are at least half dozen things that could be done to improve on the conventional stand to make it massively more functional for use as a stand or a hybrid setup. The Andy stand design could also be updated and improved without hardly trying. I am not sure it could be redesigned to function better AND climb though. That would take some thinkin time for sure. The younglings coming up with most of this new stuff dont have the experience with all of the old stuff to understand how to really improve the new stuff. Just making it lighter, thinner or flatter does nothing much for functionality.

You cant because some numbnut put the cables where your feet are supposed to go. There are at least half dozen things that could be done to improve on the conventional stand to make it massively more functional for use as a stand or a hybrid setup. The Andy stand design could also be updated and improved without hardly trying. I am not sure it could be redesigned to function better AND climb though. That would take some thinkin time for sure. The younglings coming up with most of this new stuff dont have the experience with all of the old stuff to understand how to really improve the new stuff. Just making it lighter, thinner or flatter does nothing much for functionality.
Well said from an ole timer.

I wasn’t specific enough. Has anybody stood on any stands or platforms from Raider series?

It’s kind of an odd duck, how Raider series is made. I‘m just curious what user feedback is.

It seems like I may have to go hybrid too. I have a jacked-up ankle from many sprains since 1976. I've got osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Hanging (leaning or sitting) in a saddle for 11 hour days this season was agony. I've got to figure out something that will allow me to sit occasionally.

But I don't want a full sized platform. Not just because they are a pain to carry, they are sometimes problematic to set up in certain trees because of their physical size...too big of a footprint to tuck in between multi trunked trees for example. Most modern hang-on stands are just too freeking big.

Someone mentioned sitting on a seat and facing the tree. I don't believe I'd be able to sit facing the tree on a conventional hang-on, at least on anything but the smallest diameter tree. And I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a wet tree.

Conventional stands can be saddle hunted from but the cables are a bit of an issue as is stability under side pressure. Side pressure can be solved with a 2nd strap but there's not much you can do about the cables with that conventional design.

I really do believe that the type of platform in my pic would be the best of all worlds if it had a seat. These are rock solid on the tree. The level can be adjusted and there's nothing in the way for foot placement on the entire platform.
It just needs a seat. I think a mirror image (only smaller) design of the platform could make a pretty nice seat. It would fold down flat against the tree when not in use and would actually make a nice surface to kneel against. For the guy who doesn't need a seat, he wouldn't need to carry it...just use the platform. Before I started saddle hunting, I used these DIY platforms and made a half-assed seat
(kind of similar to the platform concept) out of a piece of deck wood. It was just a little too small and it didn't fold down.
These platforms have been around for over 50 years. Thousands have been made out of plywood. Mine are made from steel grating and chain (but I do now have some that attach with Amsteel daisy chains that work well). These stands are easy to hang.
Mine are pretty heavy and okay for presets, but a cast aluminum (or carbon?) design would be the bomb.
We've discussed these platforms in other threads and I seem to remember someone say they were working on making these to sell??
I know that these have a nickname but I can't remember what they called them.
A lightweight, production, version of these would be fantastic. I can't, for the life of me, understand why someone doesn't produce these with a seat as an optional accessory.

View attachment 98411

View attachment 98412
Why can we not make one like that and a separate seat mounted off to either side so you could move it to where ever you want ? Rather than your back to the tree you would sit sideways! The seat could be situated higher on the tree so you don't have to lengthen the tether much to sit. I think I'm going to the shop! The ones we made long ago had to be hooked to the tree, then kinda stomped on to set the spike through the bark. Then you had to hit upward on the stand to free it from the tree. We never had to worry about it coming loose as some have said because it was cammed downward and the spike was solid.

Why can we not make one like that and a separate seat mounted off to either side so you could move it to where ever you want ? The ones we made long ago had to be hooked to the tree, then kinda stomped on to set the spike through the bark. Then you had to hit upward on the stand to free it from the tree. We never had to worry about it coming loose as some have said because it was cammed downward and the spike was solid.
It is easy to mount a seat under the platform for carry and then move it to the top when the stand is set. Another option would be to have an inset space for the seat post and leave it on top similar to current stands. It would need to be inset so the stand would still pack flat on your back. A better option might be something similar to the old Loc-on seat but have the legs attached to the outside of the platform and then just flip it up. lots of ways to skin that cat.

Why can we not make one like that and a separate seat mounted off to either side so you could move it to where ever you want ? Rather than your back to the tree you would sit sideways! The seat could be situated higher on the tree so you don't have to lengthen the tether much to sit. I think I'm going to the shop! The ones we made long ago had to be hooked to the tree, then kinda stomped on to set the spike through the bark. Then you had to hit upward on the stand to free it from the tree. We never had to worry about it coming loose as some have said because it was cammed downward and the spike was solid.
I love the idea. In fact I made seats similar to that out of 1"x 6" deck board. I didn't have the materials or fabrication skills to make it exactly how it needed to be so I did the best I could. Mine were a bit too small, (that's an easy fix) and I didn't attempt to make a steel support rod so I just screwed and glued a triangular block of 2X4 to the underside as a support. It worked pretty well but there was not a lot or torque and leverage on it because of the small deck-board seat. I suspect a larger, adequate sized seat would not work well with those little triangle blocks.
But a rod design similar to the stand support rod would work pretty well.
And with the rod rigged so it can pivot 180 degrees, the seat could be folded down flat against the tree when not in use. The cushioned seat would then become a very nice knee rest.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240120_110753_Gallery.jpg
Thanks for the idea. In true saddle hunter fashion I had forgot that I had an ooal rut and roost. I bought it to pair with the predator platform a couple years ago but I just didn't have enough room to fold the seat down on that size platform. Not a problem with the LWCG Ambush.

View attachment 98829
Thanks for the idea. In true saddle hunter fashion I had forgot that I had an ooal rut and roost. I bought it to pair with the predator platform a couple years ago but I just didn't have enough room to fold the seat down on that size platform. Not a problem with the LWCG Ambush.
Will that seat fold down flat against the tree? Imo, a fold down seat would be the ideal seat for a hybrid system. Sit on it when you want to, and fold it down flat and use it for a knee rest when you want to hang under the tether.
I kinda think if we had a truly workable, dual task seat/knee rest, we might find ourselves wanting or needing to sit on a seat less.
I'm gonna beat on a dead horse. A seat made from the concept of an Andy stand would be the real deal.

Last edited:
Will that seat fold down flat against the tree? Imo, a fold down seat would be the ideal seat for a hybrid system. Sit on it when you want to, and fold it down flat and use it for a knee rest when you want to hand under the tether.
I kinda think if we had a truly workable, dual task seat/knee rest, we might find ourselves wanting or needing to sit on a seat less.
I'm gonna beat on a dead horse. A seat made from the concept of an Andy stand would be the real deal.

it folds up

Crap...needs to fold down so you can kneel on it when it's folded down and out of the way. That "little" detail is a huge detail.

It’s designed so the user sits on it facing the tree and doesn’t have knee-tree pressure.

99229F5A-FA23-4170-919F-D41F3E2B378D.png94AE4692-B9F7-4BB3-9B42-10F1FA446FED.png

Crap...needs to fold down so you can kneel on it when it's folded down and out of the way. That "little" detail is a huge detail.
I definitely see what your saying. I have zero interest in kneeling (bad knees) so this is perfect for me. I am perfectly comfortable on a large platform and leaning for about 6 hours. I will only be using this set up for all day sits

View attachment 98829
Before saddles,this is almost exactly how I used to hunt. Bigger platform of course. Andy style stand and a strap on seat. not facing the tree . Killed lots of deer that way. It,s amazing how far we’ve come. 180 degrees To the other side of the tree!

There is some chatter about this in the 2024 gear thread. I am intrigued but not sure about this particular stand. I’m more interested to see if anyone else comes out with a hybrid specific model. I’ve been doing the hybrid thing all this season and most of last. So far it’s my favorite way to mobile hunt in general so I’m interested in more development in this genre of mobile hunting.
LWCG has a new stand out called the Ranger Hybrid for saddle hunters. $499. I pre ordered one. Six week wait.
Screenshot_20240407-174401~2.png

Back