• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Novix hybrid treestand

Muskyhunter

Not sure if this has been on here yet. What do you all think of this? If the seat comes out far enough to sit while facing the tree, I think I would give it a shot for all day sits.

There is some chatter about this in the 2024 gear thread. I am intrigued but not sure about this particular stand. I’m more interested to see if anyone else comes out with a hybrid specific model. I’ve been doing the hybrid thing all this season and most of last. So far it’s my favorite way to mobile hunt in general so I’m interested in more development in this genre of mobile hunting.

There is some chatter about this in the 2024 gear thread. I am intrigued but not sure about this particular stand. I’m more interested to see if anyone else comes out with a hybrid specific model. I’ve been doing the hybrid thing all this season and most of last. So far it’s my favorite way to mobile hunt in general so I’m interested in more development in this genre of mobile hunting.
I will check it out in the 2024 gear thread. I was looking at going to a hybrid set up this year and came across this. I agree it's nice to see something geared towards a hybrid set up.

8 pounds. If I wanted a tree stand I’d buy a tree stand. I don’t personally get the hybrid thing for the most part, I’m good for all day with a saddle that works for me and a back band is a plus for stillness for me but not a necessity.

The popular JX3 is 13+ pounds. Something for everyone.

I think 8lbs is heavy for what this offers. But I don’t discount the value of a big platform in particular for archery form and consistency. IMO, there’s options that are lighter at the same size and more functional. But I can only speak for me.

I like the hybrid thing, but won’t lack for comfort on less of a platform. Personally, I just think archery situations get a bit more uncontrollable as the platform shrinks.

The popular JX3 is 13+ pounds. Something for everyone.

I think 8lbs is heavy for what this offers. But I don’t discount the value of a big platform in particular for archery form and consistency. IMO, there’s options that are lighter at the same size and more functional. But I can only speak for me.

I like the hybrid thing, but won’t lack for comfort on less of a platform. Personally, I just think archery situations get a bit more uncontrollable as the platform shrinks.
You wrote a kinder version of my thoughts and I probably should’ve expressed them in a better way. That’s on me.

It’s my opinion that if I went hybrid I’m more apt to sit, then lean, then stand, then lean, then sit, ad nauseam. In addition to my opinion that movement is a detriment I would be carrying extra weight when I feel comfortable with my setup.

You wrote a kinder version of my thoughts and I probably should’ve expressed them in a better way. That’s on me.

It’s my opinion that if I went hybrid I’m more apt to sit, then lean, then stand, then lean, then sit, ad nauseam. In addition to my opinion that movement is a detriment I would be carrying extra weight when I feel comfortable with my setup.

It’s about the person who wields the tool as much as it is about the tool, no doubt. Not all hunters hunt the same, nor should it be so.

I’m not so much worried about movement anymore. I used to be a statue. I’ve found, if a hunter can remain attentive, he or she can usually catch the deer moving before it catches him or her, in an ambush scenario.

That’s for naught if the shot isn’t true.

Yeah, there is a tipping point between lightweightness and repeatable execution. I‘ll take the latter, otherwise I’ll never know what I’m missing and imo that’s a very good thing.

One of the main reasons I got into saddle hunting is I am not comfortable with heights even though I sat in tree stands for 30 years before I got into a saddle. Being in a saddle and feeling that tension all the time has allowed me to hunt elevated without anxiety.
So when I say I am looking for a hybrid set up, I want to be able to set up with my saddle facing the tree and then being able to sit facing the tree. Would I be able to do this in a LWCG .5? I was going to get out my xop vanish and try it and then I saw this from novix and was intrigued. Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting. Innovative. Novel.

But the LW .5 remains the gold standard in hybrid.

The cable shift is frankly really dumb imo. I see it as responding to dismissive facebook commando comments about hybrid to the tune of "nah the cables get in the way." All of which have tried it thoroughly to be sure.

Here's the thing.

They don't get in the way on a .5.

They do now on the novix.

One of the most comfortable hybrid positions is seat flipped up, knees against the seat, sitting facing the tree.

Can't do that here.

I don't even need to look farther down the spec sheet, the cables kill the deal for me.

That's just one guys opinion though, I'm sure it'll work for others.

I hunted off a ROS for 2 seasons. No matter what or how I did it, shooting a recurve bow from 1 to 6 o'clock is tuff. Too much movement trying to go around the tree. Take it from me the deer can see your feet. Multiple deer under your tree, I would get busted. I need a big platform. Put on mid layers and coat in tree after cool down. Putting on rain gear and just stretching calls for a big platform.

The Saddle Hunting big lie is the weight savings. A pack, small platform and some steps with the additional weight of my saddle, knee pads weigh more then my .75 and Wolk Pack.
The hybrid method gives you everything. When you have a tree with alot of lean you can set up on the high side.

Interesting. Innovative. Novel.

But the LW .5 remains the gold standard in hybrid.

The cable shift is frankly really dumb imo. I see it as responding to dismissive facebook commando comments about hybrid to the tune of "nah the cables get in the way." All of which have tried it thoroughly to be sure.

Here's the thing.

They don't get in the way on a .5.

They do now on the novix.

One of the most comfortable hybrid positions is seat flipped up, knees against the seat, sitting facing the tree.

Can't do that here.

I don't even need to look farther down the spec sheet, the cables kill the deal for me.

That's just one guys opinion though, I'm sure it'll work for others.
In your opinion what makes what you described above better than if I on my LWCG ambush and knees in the tree? I can see how that would be better on a small tree.

I just don't want to spend that kind of money on the .5 to do the same thing I am now. I would really like to sit down for 15 minutes every couple of hours but because of my height anxiety I would prefer not to have to turn around to do it. Also I feel turning around to sit down takes my eyes off of where I set up to look while standing.

Not sure if this has been on here yet. What do you all think of this? If the seat comes out far enough to sit while facing the tree, I think I would give it a shot for all day sit
I see the "Saddles are for horses" T-shirts on the Novix site are on clearance for $6.99. Hmmmmm......open mouth and insert foot ......when you turn around and design a 'hybrid' platform for saddle hunting. Kind of similar to the Mathews Solocam cam ads, "Catch us if you can" getting blown by in the slow lane by binary cam bows. How long have they been making dual cam bows?

The focus of an individual hunter is.......well, individual. If you are somewhat uncomfortable at heights, a large body type or would feel better sitting down for breaks, this type of hybrid might have an appeal. No one can answer that for another. My very first saddle hunt was from a pre-set fixed stand setup I had installed earlier in the season......heavy River's Edge sticks and a Chippewa Wedge-loc stand. My thinking was that the focus of that initial hunt would not be about setting sticks or a platform, but simply ascending and getting on-tether with a bigger platform size that was quite familiar. That is the only hunt I've done that way, simply because I like my TL EDP for weight and mobility.

Someone mentioned weight as the 'big lie' of saddle hunting, but I disagree. My new BWMG platform pack, with EDP, a Tethrd roll pouch for a vest or jacket with some accessories in the pouches, a RF pouch and Sig RF and set of four 20" Beast sticks.....the entire setup in 13.4#. I wear my saddle and knee pads in, just like I wear my RC harness and don't count the Qsafe with my Cougar Claw climber,,,,,weighing in at 19#. This Novix hybrid is listed at 8#, but is that with a cam strap included? Then add choice of sticks, shoulder straps and an accessory bag/pack for the same things that goes in my roll up pouch.....how much is the entire rig? Now if the extra foot space and a seat are worth it to you, then the weight and expense are a moot point.

Last edited:
It seems like I may have to go hybrid too. I have a jacked-up ankle from many sprains since 1976. I've got osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Hanging (leaning or sitting) in a saddle for 11 hour days this season was agony. I've got to figure out something that will allow me to sit occasionally.

But I don't want a full sized platform. Not just because they are a pain to carry, they are sometimes problematic to set up in certain trees because of their physical size...too big of a footprint to tuck in between multi trunked trees for example. Most modern hang-on stands are just too freeking big.

Someone mentioned sitting on a seat and facing the tree. I don't believe I'd be able to sit facing the tree on a conventional hang-on, at least on anything but the smallest diameter tree. And I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a wet tree.

Conventional stands can be saddle hunted from but the cables are a bit of an issue as is stability under side pressure. Side pressure can be solved with a 2nd strap but there's not much you can do about the cables with that conventional design.

I really do believe that the type of platform in my pic would be the best of all worlds if it had a seat. These are rock solid on the tree. The level can be adjusted and there's nothing in the way for foot placement on the entire platform.
It just needs a seat. I think a mirror image (only smaller) design of the platform could make a pretty nice seat. It would fold down flat against the tree when not in use and would actually make a nice surface to kneel against. For the guy who doesn't need a seat, he wouldn't need to carry it...just use the platform. Before I started saddle hunting, I used these DIY platforms and made a half-assed seat
(kind of similar to the platform concept) out of a piece of deck wood. It was just a little too small and it didn't fold down.
These platforms have been around for over 50 years. Thousands have been made out of plywood. Mine are made from steel grating and chain (but I do now have some that attach with Amsteel daisy chains that work well). These stands are easy to hang.
Mine are pretty heavy and okay for presets, but a cast aluminum (or carbon?) design would be the bomb.
We've discussed these platforms in other threads and I seem to remember someone say they were working on making these to sell??
I know that these have a nickname but I can't remember what they called them.
A lightweight, production, version of these would be fantastic. I can't, for the life of me, understand why someone doesn't produce these with a seat as an optional accessory.

KIMG0297.jpg

20190126_130303.jpg

I see the "Saddles are for horses" T-shirts on the Novix site are on clearance for $6.99. Hmmmmm......open mouth and insert foot ......when you turn around and design a 'hybrid' platform for saddle hunting. Kind of similar to the Mathews Solocam cam ads, "Catch us if you can" getting blown by in the slow lane by binary cam bows. How long have they been making dual cam bows

Those are some funny observations right there. Well said...

I see the "Saddles are for horses" T-shirts on the Novix site are on clearance for $6.99. Hmmmmm......open mouth and insert foot ......when you turn around and design a 'hybrid' platform for saddle hunting. Kind of similar to the Mathews Solocam cam ads, "Catch us if you can" getting blown by in the slow lane by binary cam bows. How long have they been making dual cam bows?

The focus of an individual hunter is.......well, individual. If you are somewhat uncomfortable at heights, a large body type or would feel better sitting down for breaks, this type of hybrid might have an appeal. No one can answer that for another. My very first saddle hunt was from a pre-set fixed stand setup I had installed earlier in the season......heavy River's Edge sticks and a Chippewa Wedge-loc stand. My thinking was that the focus of that initial hunt would not be about setting sticks or a platform, but simply ascending and getting on-tether with a bigger platform size that was quite familiar. That is the only hunt I've done that way, simply because I like my TL EDP for weight and mobility.

Someone mentioned weight as the 'big lie' of saddle hunting, but I disagree. My new BWMG platform pack, with EDP, a Tethrd roll pouch for a vest or jacket with some accessories in the pouches, a RF pouch and Sig RF and set of four 20" Beast sticks.....the entire setup in 13.4#. I wear my saddle and knee pads in, just like I wear my RC harness and don't count the Qsafe with my Cougar Claw climber,,,,,weighing in at 19#. This Novix hybrid is listed at 8#, but is that with a cam strap included? Then add choice of sticks, shoulder straps and an accessory bag/pack for the same things that goes in my roll up pouch.....how much is the entire rig? Now if the extra foot space and a seat are worth it to you, then the weight and expense are a moot point.
Edit: removed post taking post off topic.

Last edited:
In your opinion what makes what you described above better than if I on my LWCG ambush and knees in the tree? I can see how that would be better on a small tree.

I just don't want to spend that kind of money on the .5 to do the same thing I am now. I would really like to sit down for 15 minutes every couple of hours but because of my height anxiety I would prefer not to have to turn around to do it. Also I feel turning around to sit down takes my eyes off of where I set up to look while standing.

If you want to be under tension at all times, stick with the Ambush. If you need a knee pad, search out @Samcirrus CF knee rest and follow his lead.

For footwork, the Ambush plays nearly as big as the .5. (Although the .5 gets you further from the tree which can be nice).

You’ll likely end up with more moments not under tension if utilizing all the advantages of a hybrid setup.

It seems like I may have to go hybrid too. I have a jacked-up ankle from many sprains since 1976. I've got osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Hanging (leaning or sitting) in a saddle for 11 hour days this season was agony. I've got to figure out something that will allow me to sit occasionally.

But I don't want a full sized platform. Not just because they are a pain to carry, they are sometimes problematic to set up in certain trees because of their physical size...too big of a footprint to tuck in between multi trunked trees for example. Most modern hang-on stands are just too freeking big.

Someone mentioned sitting on a seat and facing the tree. I don't believe I'd be able to sit facing the tree on a conventional hang-on, at least on anything but the smallest diameter tree. And I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a wet tree.

Conventional stands can be saddle hunted from but the cables are a bit of an issue as is stability under side pressure. Side pressure can be solved with a 2nd strap but there's not much you can do about the cables with that conventional design.

I really do believe that the type of platform in my pic would be the best of all worlds if it had a seat. These are rock solid on the tree. The level can be adjusted and there's nothing in the way for foot placement on the entire platform.
It just needs a seat. I think a mirror image (only smaller) design of the platform could make a pretty nice seat. It would fold down flat against the tree when not in use and would actually make a nice surface to kneel against. For the guy who doesn't need a seat, he wouldn't need to carry it...just use the platform. Before I started saddle hunting, I used these DIY platforms and made a half-assed seat
(kind of similar to the platform concept) out of a piece of deck wood. It was just a little too small and it didn't fold down.
These platforms have been around for over 50 years. Thousands have been made out of plywood. Mine are made from steel grating and chain (but I do now have some that attach with Amsteel daisy chains that work well). These stands are easy to hang.
Mine are pretty heavy and okay for presets, but a cast aluminum (or carbon?) design would be the bomb.
We've discussed these platforms in other threads and I seem to remember someone say they were working on making these to sell??
I know that these have a nickname but I can't remember what they called them.
A lightweight, production, version of these would be fantastic. I can't, for the life of me, understand why someone doesn't produce these with a seat as an optional accessory.

View attachment 98411

View attachment 98412
I've spent a fair amount of time wondering why the bottom support like this isn't more common. I mean it really really seems to be the answer to so many concerns people have.

Do any of you that have been around longer know why this went out of style or isn't used more?

I've spent a fair amount of time wondering why the bottom support like this isn't more common. I mean it really really seems to be the answer to so many concerns people have.

Do any of you that have been around longer know why this went out of style or isn't used more?

The original Andy stand didn’t have a seat.

5028C6C2-C100-42B4-B633-68943719CE74.png

The pipe seat was added. (Looks like it was a bit sketchy, lol).

7975AE96-9E0D-4F59-BCB2-EFA124EF6409.jpeg

Other approaches/solutions to combine seat and stand followed and were more popular.

Something like that.

Last edited:
Back