• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LIVE from the Saddle 2024

How bout you @sconnieVLP ?!? Hoping you got it done
In episode 3,784 of “Bowhunting is Hard” sconnieVLP fails to connect. Neighbors had the snowmobiles out and blew the first group that came out off the field, then nothing else emerged until it was late and they fed well past the time that I could even see. My strategy yesterday required them to come out, feed, and leave the field before dark (which they had done the last few nights) and walk past me on the exit.

Still a great night though, at one point there were 18 deer and 11 turkeys out in that field. Also had a button buck bed down directly below my stand, so I got to watch him for quite a while.

I’ll say it again - it was just one of those nights that you’re thankful to be able to get out and do this stuff. As frustrating as it can be sometimes (the last four nights), but that’s what makes it worth it. If it was easy, I don’t think I’d be completely obsessed with it.

Pic of the button and a few turkeys (a couple nice toms in there making me look forward to May):

IMG_1197.jpeg

Last edited:
In episode 3,784 of “Bowhunting is Hard” sconnieVLP fails to connect. Neighbors had the snowmobiles out and blew the first group that came out off the field, then nothing else emerged until it was late and they fed well past the time that I could even see. My strategy yesterday required them to come out, feed, and leave the field before dark (which they had done the last few nights) and walk past me on the exit.

Still a great night though, at one point there were 18 deer and 11 turkeys out in that field. Also had a button buck bed down directly below my stand, so I got to watch him for quite a while.

I’ll say it again - it was just one of those nights that you’re thankful to be able to get out and do this stuff. As frustrating as it can be sometimes (the last four nights), but that’s what makes it worth it. If it was easy, I don’t think I’d be completely obsessed with it.

Pic of the button and a few turkeys (a couple nice toms in there making me look forward to May):

View attachment 98797
Can’t beat that nature show!!!

Another beautiful late season day in the whitetail woods. Nothing moving yet but plenty of tracks from the last ~18 hours or so here, and I'm hoping for the best.

Screenshot_20240120-081818.png
1 pm edit- nothing over there, so change of scenery for the PM. I'm on a travel corridor to bedding, in thicker cover and on the leeward side of this hill (man it's so much nicer out of the wind!) with a pinch point behind me. I feel like it's a good plan for the PM, let's see if the deer agree. Went back to one sticking for this sit, still feel it's slightly easier for me than 2tc.

Screenshot_20240120-131329.png

Last edited:
580F6AB3-49A4-401B-9FCB-4E638F88E4F0.jpeg
Live from the deadfall this afternoon. Could have climbed but I was running late and I didn’t want cold fingers. Looking for any buck with 8+ pts or 3YO+. Not quite to the point where I am willing to burn my last tag on a third doe, but that’ll change in about a week if I don’t get a buck lol.

I was going to scout a swamp area but it warmed up today ahead of forecast and is going to pour tomorrow both making for a hard slog. So back in a familiar tree and there are tracks for days in this snow. Here’s to hoping they are evening deer tracks.IMG_0272.jpeg

I was going to scout a swamp area but it warmed up today ahead of forecast and is going to pour tomorrow both making for a hard slog. So back in a familiar tree and there are tracks for days in this snow. Here’s to hoping they are evening deer tracks.View attachment 98968

tracks for days except for today. I dropped a camera back on the spot I used to have it and we’ll see when they are coming through.

2AFAD466-96D1-41D1-8FDA-83A450A79FAD.jpegProbably my last weekend in the saddle, potentially my last sit. I hope so, only in the sense that I have one more either-sex tag and Iollygagged about filling it. Thus, bucks are the target but I may just let one rip on a doe; I’m itching in the trigger fingy, I’m down to the wire on season, and I need another carcass to practice butchering.
Edit: I realize this sounds a little presumptuous that I’ll see a deer at all. Never wanna take that for granted, and I’m genuinely happy to enjoy the afternoon.

Last edited:
View attachment 99113Probably my last weekend in the saddle, potentially my last sit. I hope so, only in the sense that I have one more either-sex tag and Iollygagged about filling it. Thus, bucks are the target but I may just let one rip on a doe; I’m itching in the trigger fingy, I’m down to the wire on season, and I need another carcass to practice butchering.
Edit: I realize this sounds a little presumptuous that I’ll see a deer at all. Never wanna take that for granted, and I’m genuinely happy to enjoy the afternoon.
I thought we could keep hunting as long as we had tags left!

Back