• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Nock pinch revelation

Red Beard

SH Member
Had a revelation this evening as it pertains to addressing the string... I shot for a long time without a nocking point below the arrow. To keep the arrow in a repeatable position, I got used to jamming my tab up underneath the arrow. This essentially squeezed the arrow between my tab and the nocking point above the arrow. Right or wrong, it's what I did. Most arrows were very close to POA but there were the occasional fliers that frustrated the crap out of me. I'm doing the exact same thing man. Why is this flier happening?

Well this evening I rushed when addressing the string and on one draw I didn't pinch the arrow between the top nocking point and my tab. When the arrow flew it actually surprised me. I didn't hear the normal creak, creak, creak in my ear as the arrow neared the corner of my mouth (a sound made from the tab rubbing the bottomside of the arrow's nock). In fact I didn't hear anything. And when the string slipped through my fingers it surprised me again as to POA/POI. I normally group 1"-3" from my target push pin from 15yds and occasionally I'll end up tagging it at random. This arrow busted a chip out of my target push pin. Hmm... couldn't be. So I addressed the string again the same way on the very next arrow and wham-o. Busted the target pin completely. You gotta be kidding me... something as simple as not allowing a little light between my tab and the arrow is causing such deviation in flight? Let's try again with a new push pin. Third arrow ended up touching the new push pin.

Moral of the story is that I didn't know something I was doing as a part of my shot sequence (tab squeezing the string against nock) was causing regular flight deviation.

This is how I'll be addressing the string from here on:
20240122_213423.jpg

As long as the nock points are holding the arrow firm, you're good.

I shoot split and the same thing happens without the lower nock point.

I've found the same thing with broadheads. Three under and press the nock against the upper nock indicator equals terrible arrow flight. Like miss the target completely.
I don't use a lower indicator, just don't start by pressing the arrow tight between fingers and upper indicator.

Back