• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

random idea for guys that sew: make better boot blankets

raisins

SH Member
The arctic shield boot blankets are just a funky shape. I have a 12 wide foot and have to get the largest size boot blanket to get them over a tall hiking boot with a generous toe box. Materials and such could probably be improved, but just shaping the things right would be a big improvement. I'd give $75 (easy) for a set that worked better. Some other easy improvments: mesh pouch sewn inside that is the right size for a large hand warmer (like hot hands super warmer) and keeps the warmer over the toe and quieter materials for the sides. The bottom is somewhat loud but that has to grip and be durable. For sizing, I'd provide the dimensions of the boot blankets and a recommendation of sizing. But going with sizing only isn't good (since boots obviously differ).

Maybe I should just learn to sew and start a side business. It's daunting though.

The arctic shield boot blankets are just a funky shape. I have a 12 wide foot and have to get the largest size boot blanket to get them over a tall hiking boot with a generous toe box. Materials and such could probably be improved, but just shaping the things right would be a big improvement. I'd give $75 (easy) for a set that worked better. Some other easy improvments: mesh pouch sewn inside that is the right size for a large hand warmer (like hot hands super warmer) and keeps the warmer over the toe and quieter materials for the sides. The bottom is somewhat loud but that has to grip and be durable. For sizing, I'd provide the dimensions of the boot blankets and a recommendation of sizing. But going with sizing only isn't good (since boots obviously differ).

Maybe I should just learn to sew and start a side business. It's daunting though.
agree. they are to wide to climb aider with and hard to get on at height

I am actually starting to work on this as we speak. I have the artic shields and always struggle to get my boots in. working on making a hybrid Icebreaker design with a top entry. where you step down into it instead of from the back. possible zipper closure or some sort of insulated cover flap.

I'd buy it. Arctic shields are really pretty close for me, but I approve the upgrades, especially a better bottom material. I don't much have a problem with the general shape, but I have suffered the boot blankie charlie horse a few times trying to squeeze them on in a tree. Magnetic closure may not work great here, but maybe.

Image.jpg
Old sheep skin turned into boot blankets. The overflowing hair kinda gets in the way, especially when stepping around on the stand. Thought I'll buy another pelt, make a sandwich with felt sheet for the sole and change into sheep booties once at height. Making the sole stiff enough to stand up comfortably might be challenging though.

Gray wolf woolens makes a nice boot blanket. Not cheap but you want them to work and not be noisy.

I'd buy it. Arctic shields are really pretty close for me, but I approve the upgrades, especially a better bottom material. I don't much have a problem with the general shape, but I have suffered the boot blankie charlie horse a few times trying to squeeze them on in a tree. Magnetic closure may not work great here, but maybe.
Haha, I've been there a few times also with the Charlie horse. I'd love a different design. That makes it easier to get these on.

Gray wolf woolens makes a nice boot blanket. Not cheap but you want them to work and not be noisy.
I've eyed them up before online but never seen in person. They look rather bulky, care to demonstrate how yours pack down? Do they get in the way in the stand?

The A.S. really aren't that bulky. Unless one goes to elastic or something else to cinch it down, or size down, there really isn't much bulk to cut out. The insulation layer in it is very thin whereas the GWW looks much puffier.

In order to get them on easy, I believe it will have to lay flat with flaps that overlap instead of something that your boot must slide into (if that makes any sense). Boot soles are just too grippy to slide inside of something like that. On that note I gave @jhunter13 my very old very bulky boot blankets that he was going to try to make a better version of but not sure if he's done anything with them or not.

In order to get them on easy, I believe it will have to lay flat with flaps that overlap instead of something that your boot must slide into (if that makes any sense). Boot soles are just too grippy to slide inside of something like that. On that note I gave @jhunter13 my very old very bulky boot blankets that he was going to try to make a better version of but not sure if he's done anything with them or not.
I typically dont start sewing projects until March. With that said, Ive torn one apart and started making a template. Right now, Im research material for the bottom. Needs something more than cloth.

My plan was to have them install open up in the front vs back. That way you could put them on in tree easier.

IGOSKI SKI Boot & Shoe Covers Water Resistant and Washable Ski Boot Covers Keep Dry and Warm https://a.co/d/91oFmaw

These look like a better version of these below, which I’ve used and work great even with wet boots. I sewed a pocket for a handwarmer inside the neoprene and that was nice.

I’ve just found that loose laces and dry feet and a warm core has more to do with keeping my feet warm than anything else. I don’t bring anything anymore, but rarely hunt below 20.

DryGuy BootGlove Ski Boot Covers, Keep your Feet Dry and Warm https://a.co/d/6DLuFIo

I've eyed them up before online but never seen in person. They look rather bulky, care to demonstrate how yours pack down? Do they get in the way in the stand?

The A.S. really aren't that bulky. Unless one goes to elastic or something else to cinch it down, or size down, there really isn't much bulk to cut out. The insulation layer in it is very thin whereas the GWW looks much puffier.

They lay flat. You could probably slide them behind your .5 back pad for transport, you might even enjoy the extra cushioning. Idk.

They have a wind barrier and 400g Thinsulate. I haven’t used them, but expect they’re warmer than Arctic Shield which only boast a proprietary reflective material. No doubt they are bulkier though.

There is no reinforced material on the sole. Don’t know how durable they are.

They weigh 1lb 9oz for the set.

I was just looking at those and these

that @kobudo linked to

My concern would be the bottom looks like plain fabric, is that the case?

I'd be afraid on a leaner pushing off the side of a platform that I'd slip right off. The grippy stuff on the bottom of the Arctic Shield boot blankets are good for that, they are about as grippy as a boot sole.

I was just looking at those and these

that @kobudo linked to

My concern would be the bottom looks like plain fabric, is that the case?

I'd be afraid on a leaner pushing off the side of a platform that I'd slip right off. The grippy stuff on the bottom of the Arctic Shield boot blankets are good for that, they are about as grippy as a boot sole.
Id be more concerned with the "reflective liner" material making noise.

They are bulkier for sure but pack down fine using the outside compression straps on your pack. There is no rigidity to them so they lay down as flat as an insulated hunting coat. They are probably on par with a rolled up medium to heavyweight hoody. You can get them to around football size give or take.

They are very well made but I have not actually used them yet hunting. I have used the HBS covers and these GWW ones fit way better and are less bulky. You wouldn’t climb or anything with them and you would put them on last after you’re all set up. Others expressed a concern with the durability but honestly, on a normal cast platform or any other typical platform. The “saddle cloth” type material is silent AND quite tough.

i have the arctic shield, no noise from that

some if you rub the sides together or drag feet

totally manageable and slight
I purchased two sizes of artic sheilds. Neither fit well enough for me to keep them, so....Ill make my own.

These look interesting. They were out of stock last year when I was looking, so no experience with them.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
$100 seems steep but if they work then they're probably worth the $ to some

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back