• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anybody ever climb just to climb?

Black Titan

I don't mean for practice sake, but of course it ends up being practice.

I got out my saddle last night and was messing around, practicing tying different hitches, moving things around, etc. Now I have the urge to just go climb a tree. No bow, no pack, no supplies, just my saddle, repel rope, stick, and linesman. Not with the intention to practice, but I just want to climb. I think I may go out after work today and go up a tree.

Only 8 months till bow season.....counting down.

BT

I tell my wife its for practice. But it is fun. I got my kids climbing some. Usually I just tie a rope up high, and they will spend time just swinging around the tree. If I pull my saddle out to experiment I usually have someone or two saying they want to climb or swing around. So gotta make sure I set them up first before I start to play around.

As an additional question: does anyone push their limits or go beyond what they do for a hunting climb? I'm not saying beyond your capabilities or comfort level, but... I personally do have a tendency to push my boundaries, inside MY "comfort" zone, and by "comfort" I'm referring to my acceptable level of reaching outside of my "already been there, done that" zone.

Only climb while hunting, tested saddle a few times and that’s it. Just climb during hunts. I have a love/hate relationship with climbing. I love the availability of climbing methods for hunting at height but The walk in and set up is the worst part of hunting and a few times I don’t even hunt bc I don’t feel like walking and climbing lol soo definitely not doing it for fun.

Only climb while hunting, tested saddle a few times and that’s it. Just climb during hunts. I have a love/hate relationship with climbing. I love the availability of climbing methods for hunting at height but The walk in and set up is the worst part of hunting and a few times I don’t even hunt bc I don’t feel like walking and climbing lol soo definitely not doing it for fun.

I feel this way when I use my climber. I loath the walk in and the climb with it, but it serves its purpose in some places.

I find using the saddle to be more "fun" for lack of a better word.

BT

I feel this way when I use my climber. I loath the walk in and the climb with it, but it serves its purpose in some places.

I find using the saddle to be more "fun" for lack of a better word.

BT
Eh I wish it was fun for me. It’s work either way, idk why I see it that way bc climbing is super easy as far as the task and with other egregiously hard things I do whenever I haven’t had my midol and don’t feel like climbing or walking or hunting at all I almost hate myself for it bc it’s minuscule compared to everything else I do. Take this season for example I was prepped and ready all year and I didn’t even get tags or hunt a single day this season, I even debated giving up hunting all together weird bc it’s a lifestyle for me not a hobby and I almost called it quits for a reason I still don’t know.

I do carry my sticks and saddle when I scout sometimes. There's so many times during scouting when I thought I picked the right tree, only to climb up during season and realize I needed to be 50 yards that way. If a spot perplexes me I climb to get a better layout

Ironically, I love climbing for the purpose of climbing; but when hunting is the goal, the climbing becomes just another process towards the accomplishment of said goal (with substantially less enjoyment...).

Funny timing...Just got in from walking the dog, and coming down the street I was thinking, I wonder how high I could get in that post oak by the pond with 2TC? As soon as I get my stuff set up, I'm going to do lots of climbs.

No but I enjoy tree trimming enough Imma start doing it as a side hustle.
Same. I have a long overdo tree removal project at the house that I don't want to pay for, and also I'm really interested in learning how it's done. I've always loved processing fallen trees/branches into firewood.

Devouring youtube videos. I'm a little old to be starting this most dangerous of side hustles...and yet...yolo.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Back