• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 fishing thread

So something that I got into last year was fishing slams. I did the 4-species Mobile Basin Redeye Slam on a fly rod, and am working through fishing all 67 Alabama counties on the fly.

This year, I'm also trying for the Georgia Black Bass Slam, the Georgia Trout Slam (just recorded a podcast segment today with Anthony Rabern at Georgia DCNR talking about this one), the Redeye Grand slam (3 Georgia species plus the 4 mobile basin ones), and the FFI Suncatch Slam.

Grabbed my first official submission for the 9-species Suncatch challenge today, a little Black Crappie who hit a size 16 parachute adams while me and my daughter were enjoying an evening at the park.

Suncatch Crappie.png

I live 30 miles south of Erie so I fish all up and down the pa lake front a lot, mainly ELK Creek.
Just found this thread.

Where specifically are you at (PM if you'd like), I'm in your neck of the woods. Misery bay is producing good numbers of crappie right now. Pymatuming I put a couple of solid ones in the kayak last week.

Off topic but, you hunt 143?
Occasionally, which is odd because I can see an edge of it from my front door. I have a lot of spots including some private though and I know 143 does get some pressure. I would like to spend some more time kicking around up there, it's big enough to get away from the pressure. I just haven't put in the time to find where that is.

Occasionally, which is odd because I can see an edge of it from my front door. I have a lot of spots including some private though and I know 143 does get some pressure. I would like to spend some more time kicking around up there, it's big enough to get away from the pressure. I just haven't put in the time to find where that is.
Used to be real good with light pressure during archery season until they opened the gates.

I have spent a good amount of time in it. had an opportunity at a giant but hit high and lost it a few years ago. The word has gotten out and it is becoming too crowded.

Used to be real good with light pressure during archery season until they opened the gates.

I have mixed feelings about the gates getting open for archery season. I mountain bike, and use my fat bike to hunt fairly often so its not a big issue for me personally. The game lands closer to Tidioute, I understand why they open those up. It's just not practical to bike into the back of those. 143, even though it is large, can be accessed from nearly every side.

Back to fishing, hope the temps rising up here this week keep the crappie bite on. I live pretty close to Lake Erie, gonna give the bays and lagoons a shot this week.

Back to fishing, hope the temps rising up here this week keep the crappie bite on. I live pretty close to Lake Erie, gonna give the bays and lagoons a shot this week.

I hiked back into the Union City Reservoir last weekend, most of the ice was gone but I didn't get into anything. Water temps were 41° to 45°. I didn't have enough time to walk around to the north side, which likely had warmer water and most of the fish (I was after perch and crappie).

2.jpgfrowers.jpg

Been wearing out the little creek bass around my house. River still high and chocolate-milky, but you can get into clean water if you're willing to wade or put in under a bridge. The maples and violets are blooming, and even though it was 30 this morning spring is very much in the air.

I've been seeing some species of sucker fish that I want to harass. I'm sitting at 35 species of freshwater fish that I've caught, and would like to bump 50 this year. We've got a lot of sucker species if I can learn to target them.

View attachment 99977View attachment 99978

Been wearing out the little creek bass around my house. River still high and chocolate-milky, but you can get into clean water if you're willing to wade or put in under a bridge. The maples and violets are blooming, and even though it was 30 this morning spring is very much in the air.

I've been seeing some species of sucker fish that I want to harass. I'm sitting at 35 species of freshwater fish that I've caught, and would like to bump 50 this year. We've got a lot of sucker species if I can learn to target them.

You might find some helpful info on that at the roughfish.com forum.

View attachment 99977View attachment 99978

Do you log your catches or how do you keep track of how many species you've caught?

Yes, amish hammer it, I usually don't head down there.

I work in Union City so I try to hit UC reservoir, french creek, canadohta, or lake pleasant once a week on my lunch break when weather allows.
I figured the straw hats would hit it pretty hard. Was thinking of getting out on the 'yak sometime and trying it out.

Back