• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 fishing thread

Ckwilli

SH Member
Might as well kick off a new fishing thread for 2024 unless someone already has. I know some of you northern guys will be getting on the ice soon. I finished 2023 with a nice mess of crappie and a couple of white bass in 20 ft of water on brush piles.

I’m really interested in trying an in line fishing reel for vertical jigging on a 10ft rod. I know they were made for ice fishing but I think I can use it on open water. I’m curious about the lack of line twist. Maybe some of you ice fishing folks can educate me.

Tight lines everyone!

Lol the only problem with ice fishing in 3°F is your beer freezes

I have been steelhead fishing Lake Erie a few times already. I have done well, 15-20 in the 28-32" range 8-10 lbs. We need more rain to get the creeks good to go again (I'm looking for warm rain the opposite of all the ice guys).

Does your Yeti become a warmer instead of a cooler or do you have to buy something entirely different?
Way up here in Michigan it's been a while since it's been 3, I'll have to conduct an experiment

Caught a few blue cat right before Christmas. Gonna be bitter cold here this weekend, so I may wait until the following week to hike up to my spot. I've been catching good blues up there in the winter for several years now.

We've got that weird weather cycle where its either flooding and mud season or all the lakes have skim ice. Not enough to ice fish, and the rivers are raging. I'm getting married on 2/24, kind of caught up in that right now. Yellow Perch spawn will be here soon enough after, and I have a couple good small local lakes for that.

Might as well kick off a new fishing thread for 2024 unless someone already has. I know some of you northern guys will be getting on the ice soon. I finished 2023 with a nice mess of crappie and a couple of white bass in 20 ft of water on brush piles.

I’m really interested in trying an in line fishing reel for vertical jigging on a 10ft rod. I know they were made for ice fishing but I think I can use it on open water. I’m curious about the lack of line twist. Maybe some of you ice fishing folks can educate me.

Tight lines everyone!

I don't know about the ice fishing reels, but I used a centerpin for steelhead for a long time. Its direct drive and looks like a bit fly reel. I think one would be great for crappie on a long rod. Centerpin rods usually start around 11' and go up to 15' or even more at times.

Does your Yeti become a warmer instead of a cooler or do you have to buy something entirely different?

It does actually. Not a true warmer, but it does keep it from freezing for a while longer than just in a can. Eventually it will get colder than the beer you're putting in it but for a long time it will work. Also great if you're drinking beer around a campfire without gloves. Your hands don't freeze by holding the can.

I have been steelhead fishing Lake Erie a few times already. I have done well, 15-20 in the 28-32" range 8-10 lbs. We need more rain to get the creeks good to go again (I'm looking for warm rain the opposite of all the ice guys).

Which state are you in? I fished all of the PA streams for a good while when I lived in PGH. Then I live in Cleveland for a while right on the Chagrin so hit that and the grand a lot. Its been a long time since I fished steelhead though and I kinda miss it.

I don't know about the ice fishing reels, but I used a centerpin for steelhead for a long time. Its direct drive and looks like a bit fly reel. I think one would be great for crappie on a long rod. Centerpin rods usually start around 11' and go up to 15' or even more at times.

It does actually. Not a true warmer, but it does keep it from freezing for a while longer than just in a can. Eventually it will get colder than the beer you're putting in it but for a long time it will work. Also great if you're drinking beer around a campfire without gloves. Your hands don't freeze by holding the can.

Which state are you in? I fished all of the PA streams for a good while when I lived in PGH. Then I live in Cleveland for a while right on the Chagrin so hit that and the grand a lot. Its been a long time since I fished steelhead though and I kinda miss it.

I live 30 miles south of Erie so I fish all up and down the pa lake front a lot, mainly ELK Creek.

I picked up a 13 descent in line reel yesterday for cheap. I’m going to give it a go. I’ve also just thought about putting mono on one of my fly reels.

I live 30 miles south of Erie so I fish all up and down the pa lake front a lot, mainly ELK Creek.

I have an uncle in Conneaut lake area so I know the area. You must be about in Meadeville or so. I loved Elk but that was back in the day before it started getting posted all over the place. As I was moving on from the area the whole area around Elk was getting posted up. I'd have no clue where to even start now. Gudgeonville up to 79 was always my favorite stretch. Caught my biggest (just under 15lb) and lost my (even bigger) biggest (would have pushed over 16#) up there at the flats.

I picked up a 13 descent in line reel yesterday for cheap. I’m going to give it a go. I’ve also just thought about putting mono on one of my fly reels.

Mono on a flyreel is tough The small arbor means you have low line pickup until the spool is full. You'd need to put some old flyline on it as a backing line to build it up. A big 8-12 wt large arbor would be a different story of course if you have one laying around.

I have an uncle in Conneaut lake area so I know the area. You must be about in Meadeville or so. I loved Elk but that was back in the day before it started getting posted all over the place. As I was moving on from the area the whole area around Elk was getting posted up. I'd have no clue where to even start now. Gudgeonville up to 79 was always my favorite stretch. Caught my biggest (just under 15lb) and lost my (even bigger) biggest (would have pushed over 16#) up there at the flats.

Mono on a flyreel is tough The small arbor means you have low line pickup until the spool is full. You'd need to put some old flyline on it as a backing line to build it up. A big 8-12 wt large arbor would be a different story of course if you have one laying around.

I'm near Kinzua, upper Allegheny River. I work in Union City.

I live in Corry, a lot of the posted areas are reopening. I fish a lot near the mouth but also up near McKean. I really like the hole under 79 when there's a good rain event. There's lots of area to fish all over. I have lost a few in that 15lb. range. The biggest I ever landed was 12 lbs.
I'm near Kinzua, upper Allegheny River. I work in Union City.
We spend a lot of time in that area, camping, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking.

I fished this past weekend, but no pics. I was scouting another section of river and saw three dudes in kayaks. One was holding a legit 24” rainbow. Supremely nice fish.

Back